The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 05-01-2015
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Help: Need IC pump after 2013 GT500 heatexchanger install

Hi Guys, On my 2007 S281 supercharged saleen I have just slapped on one of those huge 3 row 2013 gt500 heatexchangers. Why the heck would I do that when I could just get an afco dual pass with fans? Well because I got the '13 H/E for 100 bucks! Install was pretty simple with some small mods considering this thing is very fat, but it's on and works. However, my stock IC pump is seriously overworked and under performing so I know what I have next on my list...around the city my temps are around the same as my previous afco (non fanned) unit 150 highest. but on highway speeds certainly some improvements

Questions, comments, concerns, insults? Shoot away!

Old 05-01-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Get you a 2014 gt 500 pump
Old 05-01-2015

That thing is massive. I think the latest comments on the AFCO or other units with fans is that it hurts flow at low speeds and is minimal at higher speeds so this may be a good alternative.
2004-013 Ford Mustang Salween Extreme-FOR SALE
1999 Ford Mustang Cobra convertible SA-20 clone
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8-SOLD
2002 Big Dog Pitbull-SOLD
2005-1343 Ford Mustang Saleen SC281. Barricade replica-SOLD
2011 Ram Express
2006-016 Ford Mustang Saleen Extreme-FOR SALE
2012 Ford F150 FX2
2007-300 Ford Mustang Saleen SC281-FOR SALE
2005 Ram SRT-10 RC CE #43-FOR SALE
Old 05-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethrough View Post
That thing is massive. I think the latest comments on the AFCO or other units with fans is that it hurts flow at low speeds and is minimal at higher speeds so this may be a good alternative.
The fans hurt the flow at low speeds? Am I understanding that correctly?

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 07-06-2015

he probably means that the fans do hinder the airflow while driving.

I`d be interested in the necessary mods for this heat exchanger install.
Old 07-07-2015

As would i
Old 07-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXKillswitchXx View Post
Hi Guys, On my 2007 S281 supercharged saleen I have just slapped on one of those huge 3 row 2013 gt500 heatexchangers. Why the heck would I do that when I could just get an afco dual pass with fans? Well because I got the '13 H/E for 100 bucks! Install was pretty simple with some small mods considering this thing is very fat, but it's on and works. However, my stock IC pump is seriously overworked and under performing so I know what I have next on my list...around the city my temps are around the same as my previous afco (non fanned) unit 150 highest. but on highway speeds certainly some improvements

Questions, comments, concerns, insults? Shoot away!

I have several questions.. What small mods were involved ? Did the mounting brackets line right up or did you have to drill new mounting location holes ?

Were there any clearance/fitment issues that require cutting sections of the front valance ?

Finally, if you still have your Afco heat exchanger.. Are you willing to sell it and for what price ? As I may be interested in purchasing it from you
Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Borla ATAK mufflers - Pypes cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires 275/40/18" square - GT500 strut mounts - Hurst short throw shifter - CFM billet oil cap breather - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Eibach camber bolts - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Koni adj sport struts/shocks - BMR poly adj panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm stock airbox - Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune.
Old 07-09-2015
SOEC Member

Default Intercooler Pump

Greetings,

I have done allot of testing in this subject. With several different heat exchangers and pumps. First off, if you are getting your temps off the Saleen gauge I do not know how accurate it is. Hint

I have also tested several different pumps for these cars. The stock pump is a really good pump. Can you flow more water, sure you can.

Next step is what are you going to use your car for? if it is drag racing the fans are a good idea. If you are not, and want to use for the track you do not want the fans. The fans will actually block air flow.

Since you have already purchased your heat exchanger use it. If you notice your bumper is blocking half of the air flow that could pass through the heat exchanger. What you want is a heat exchanger that fits the entire opening of the lower facia. Saleen later got it right when he built the Extreme heat exchanger which was the size of the lower opening.

I had one custom made for me to my specs, which encompasses the entire opening of the lower facia. I also built a custom box enclose which fits int the front facia when you place it back on the car. It traps all the air and forces the air through the heat exchanger. I did this because as your car speed increases the air will want to go around the heat exchanger instead of through it. I figured this out by speed and rpm testing.

For the pump, the best i found and have collected over the last few years is a marine pump. It is all bronze and pumps twice the flow of the stock pump. I had to make a custom mount which was easy, and it flows water like crazy. MY temps are 20-25 degrees over ambient temp and I run a smaller SC pulley than you meaning more heat generated. The marine pump i use keeps up with the best in class pumps like the ZR1 pump which costs $700-800 bucks. I have the ZR1 pump which you can have $250.00. I also have three of the marine pumps if your interested. I have a very light used one for $150.00 or a new one for $200.00.

Here is a link to a you tube video of the Jabsco Marine Pump pump and water
water flow. Wyatt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvbcMWHVYso
Old 07-13-2015

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late response I didn't know I had replies, anyway to answer correctly by "mods" I mean I just did a couple modifications to the heatexchanger to actually fit other wise it could rub against the condenser and cause it to leak.

These two flap things need to be removed I did it first to the right side cause that was the actual side that would hit the condenser. Then one day while I was putting a new radiator I just decided to cut the left side flap too. I did it rather brute like and used a lock cutter and just hammered out the ruff edges.

Right

Left

I reused the afco style pluming coming from the intercooler.

The right side could use some re plumping by that I mean you may need to move it to a more comfortable path other wise it rubs with the power steering pump lines and makes it harder to move around the metal bars things that go under the car. because the H/E is rather large i moved mine sort of under that fan so i can still place the splash guard. I did use some zip ties.

Other than that the unit bolts on right into place like any other unit, but like i said there isn't any room for fans and the temps are just about the same. unless hitting highspeeds. gets a little bit cooler

SORRY, old afco unit had been sold to another forum member! lol
Old 07-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SaleenExtreme View Post
Greetings,

I have done allot of testing in this subject. With several different heat exchangers and pumps. First off, if you are getting your temps off the Saleen gauge I do not know how accurate it is. Hint

I have also tested several different pumps for these cars. The stock pump is a really good pump. Can you flow more water, sure you can.

Next step is what are you going to use your car for? if it is drag racing the fans are a good idea. If you are not, and want to use for the track you do not want the fans. The fans will actually block air flow.

Since you have already purchased your heat exchanger use it. If you notice your bumper is blocking half of the air flow that could pass through the heat exchanger. What you want is a heat exchanger that fits the entire opening of the lower facia. Saleen later got it right when he built the Extreme heat exchanger which was the size of the lower opening.

I had one custom made for me to my specs, which encompasses the entire opening of the lower facia. I also built a custom box enclose which fits int the front facia when you place it back on the car. It traps all the air and forces the air through the heat exchanger. I did this because as your car speed increases the air will want to go around the heat exchanger instead of through it. I figured this out by speed and rpm testing.

For the pump, the best i found and have collected over the last few years is a marine pump. It is all bronze and pumps twice the flow of the stock pump. I had to make a custom mount which was easy, and it flows water like crazy. MY temps are 20-25 degrees over ambient temp and I run a smaller SC pulley than you meaning more heat generated. The marine pump i use keeps up with the best in class pumps like the ZR1 pump which costs $700-800 bucks. I have the ZR1 pump which you can have $250.00. I also have three of the marine pumps if your interested. I have a very light used one for $150.00 or a new one for $200.00.

Here is a link to a you tube video of the Jabsco Marine Pump pump and water
water flow. Wyatt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvbcMWHVYso
Hey wyatt, I had wanted to get the ZR1 pump, but I saw the price tag I had thought i'd rather get a new oem off a 2014 gt500, rockauto has them for around 200+. I still have not gotten a new pump however.

this is what the stock pump flow looks with the '14 H/E
Old 07-20-2015
SOEC Member

I just moved over to the newer Ford pump. I purchased it from Steve @ Tasca Ford. It flows much better than the stock pump. I'm using a fanned steeda 3 row and the flow is amazing. I'm running a 3.0 pulley so I see 20-25 degrees above ambient and it recovers extremely well after a hard pull. I used the older GT500 pump mount on top of the HE with some modifications.

Good thread with some testing.

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthr...d=1#post133692
2007 Shelby GT, Saleen SC Stage 3 with 3.0 pulley,mosaleen tensioner sys. UCA,LCA,BMR A arm Brace, SVE Dark Stainless 18x10's, Nitto NT05's, MGW Shifter, Pypes LT's with off-road X pipe, Bassani Axle backs, FRP 3.73's,BMR Watts Link, Steeda shaft loop, JLT 110mm CAI, FRP valve Covers, Brenspeed tuned. 12.425@114.63 4800 feet on Nitto 555's. Latest dyno is 492hp/463tq.
Old 07-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock View Post
I just moved over to the newer Ford pump. I purchased it from Steve @ Tasca Ford. It flows much better than the stock pump. I'm using a fanned steeda 3 row and the flow is amazing. I'm running a 3.0 pulley so I see 20-25 degrees above ambient and it recovers extremely well after a hard pull. I used the older GT500 pump mount on top of the HE with some modifications.

Good thread with some testing.

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthr...d=1#post133692
Do you mind asking how much it was? lol like I said earlier rockauto has it for about 240$ not including shipping. I just want the best deal!
Old 07-20-2015
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXKillswitchXx View Post
Do you mind asking how much it was? lol like I said earlier rockauto has it for about 240$ not including shipping. I just want the best deal!

dr3z8501a AUX PUMP $260.13

dr3z14a411c WIRE ASY $5.86

Subtotal: $265.99
Shipping (UPS): $15.59
Total: $281.58
2007 Shelby GT, Saleen SC Stage 3 with 3.0 pulley,mosaleen tensioner sys. UCA,LCA,BMR A arm Brace, SVE Dark Stainless 18x10's, Nitto NT05's, MGW Shifter, Pypes LT's with off-road X pipe, Bassani Axle backs, FRP 3.73's,BMR Watts Link, Steeda shaft loop, JLT 110mm CAI, FRP valve Covers, Brenspeed tuned. 12.425@114.63 4800 feet on Nitto 555's. Latest dyno is 492hp/463tq.
Old 08-31-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

Tbrock, How much modification was needed to the existing harness/connectors to fit the new assembly and 2013 gt500 pump?
Old 09-01-2015
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonrides View Post
Tbrock, How much modification was needed to the existing harness/connectors to fit the new assembly and 2013 gt500 pump?
Once I figured out my pump placement (middle of the HE) I routed the connector where I wanted it spliced it in with some heat shrink connectors, covered it with electrical tape and flexible tubing. She is working great with zero issues.

Todd