The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1994-1998 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1994-1998 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-21-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Default Seeking info: 1997/1998 Saleen SR Kit

Guys;

In light of the 96' S281C Mystic Cobra being unavailable to the marketplace or for sale at this time, I have been also toying with the idea of doing up a 96' SVT Cobra Mystic Saleen SR Clone and adding on an authentic Saleen 1997/1998 SR Wide-Body kit to a 96' Mystic Cobra. Kind of a long shot but would be the only way to do a clone and have some fun with it, where the clone might hold some value in the end as there were none even available at the time.

Is anyone aware of an authentic 1997/1998 Saleen SR Wide-Body kit that might be available? I think I have the line on the authentic SR rims so I just need the rest of the body kit, minus the coil overs and center lock hubs, etc..

I know I am not a big clone guy but have always wanted to see this kind of a car built.

Thanks
Rick
Old 10-21-2012
SOEC Member

Pm sent to you .
1994 S 351 R #37
2004 Saleen N20 Focus #45
Old 10-21-2012
SOEC Member

Call Doug Nagy. If you need his number let me know

93-0001R Saleen World Challenge SA10 Race Car
AKA "The Beast"
90 Saleen SC 12 Tim Allen Tonight Show Burnout Car
93-050 Factory Supercharged Black on Black Leather
89-091R John Ames Saleen Race Car
91 Saleen SC #9
1970 Mustang Fastback Grabber Green all original survivor 80k miles,purchased from original owner
Previously owned 98 Saleen Race car,99 S351#07, 95 SR 14, 93#18, 93-39, 90#214, 89 SSC #168, 88 R Model 94 S351R code #28
Old 10-21-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Thanks Terry and Cabell, haven't talked with Doug in years. Cabell, can you PM me his contact info.

Thanks Boys
Old 10-21-2012
SOEC Member

sent pm. Anybody else that is interested google streetwise

93-0001R Saleen World Challenge SA10 Race Car
AKA "The Beast"
90 Saleen SC 12 Tim Allen Tonight Show Burnout Car
93-050 Factory Supercharged Black on Black Leather
89-091R John Ames Saleen Race Car
91 Saleen SC #9
1970 Mustang Fastback Grabber Green all original survivor 80k miles,purchased from original owner
Previously owned 98 Saleen Race car,99 S351#07, 95 SR 14, 93#18, 93-39, 90#214, 89 SSC #168, 88 R Model 94 S351R code #28
Old 10-21-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Doug kept the Mystic BASF SEMA Center Lok Speedlines all those years for me. I will give him a call.
Old 10-21-2012
SOEC Member

It would be an awesome build!!
Old 10-22-2012
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_177 View Post
It would be an awesome build!!
that it would
Old 10-22-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Just running the numbers and seeing if this makes sense to attempt. Still selling the 1969 Mach 1 if I can find a buyer. Just want to put some things in place before the big baby change in our lives takes place.

Thanks
Rick
Old 10-22-2012

i hope you go through with this project!
Old 10-22-2012
SOEC Member

I hope you do as well Rick. After our talk, it appears I might be up in the attic on a search for you buddy. You and Heather are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 10-23-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Thanks Scott;

I am just tossing some ideas around at the moment. If everything comes together, I may try to pull the trigger and try to make this happen.

Presently I am torn on the idea of an SVT Mystic Clone done up with the SR kit. I mean it is still not a true Saleen and I obviously don't want to just through money away. Then again, I could do and am leaning towards what Saleen did and take an older 94/95 Saleen and add the SR kit to it.

That is what the Extreme Rainbow SR 97-0001SR is. It started life out as 95-0004 coupe. Then again you have to look at what might be appealing if you ever had to sell it. An SR vert off the 97/98 GT2 SR body, which no one has out there might be real, real attractive. The BASF Mystic is built off the 94/96 World Challenge SR bodywork. I could find an older and beat up 94/95 Saleen vert and put the SR kit on it, less big rear wing and carbon fiber roof. Then paint that up in a BASF Mystic or other Extreme Color that would have been available to Saleen (remember that the 01 SR is BASF Extreme Ocean and is the only car like that at Saleen.

NO ONE has ever attempted to put that 97/98 GT2 SR Convertible together and in doing so would have a serialized Saleen and an SR Convertible in a one of BASF Extreme Paint color to boot, considering there is already an Extreme Rainbow SR 97-0001 Coupe out there.

This might be something pretty cool and might even hold it's value pretty well all things considered. Of course, I would need to get a complete but pretty rough 94/95 Saleen vert for pretty much nothing to start with.

Again, just some ideas!

Thanks for the prayers Scott. Everything is going great on the baby front. We are past the First Trimester concerns everyone has and Heather still has not even gotten sick once. She is just glowing! Had the new MaterniT21 PLUS test with Trisomy 18 & 13 last week and everything came back negative so we are good to go with this whole thing. Also found out through that test that we are having a boy. Woo! Hoo! Heather was hoping for a girl but the guy upstairs felt the name should live on I guess. Can't wait for another 6 months.

Anyway all for now! 1969 Mach 1 is still for sale if you guys are interested.
Old 11-09-2012
Saleen Forums Participant

Hey Rick, Let me know if you need some help building this car you want to do. I have done an SR before and can be a great help. I am in the process on making the SR front bumbers for 94-98. I can also paint any chameleon paint you want.
Old 11-09-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Thanks!

Still just a concept in my head at the moment. Until I sell the Mach 1, it will stay that way for a bit.
Old 11-11-2012
Account with Invalid Email

Rick, you beat me to this post. lol I have been searching the last couple of months for a kit and keep coming up empty handed. I had a lead on one, but never fell through. If you come a across anything and are not interested, let me know. Im needing a new project. lol
Old 11-12-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Ducky,

Haven't forgot about you. With all the people that have contacted me, I would sure say there is interest. Group buy would sure be in order if supplier is located. Haven't called Doug yet but sure seems like a batch could be run with the interest shown.

Rick
Old 11-12-2012

may have interest in a kit, would be cool to obtain.
Old 11-13-2012

Just some info I have gathered in the past while looking for kits. when I had spoken with Joe from chicane years back, he had said the molds were destroyed. if that is the case, finding a kit and making new molds is about the only way of getting a production run going. unless someone has a CAD blueprint of the kit. that's one of the reasons why I was searching for the old display/race car that I have the other thread about. then there would be a base to start making molds from.

if you know of any other info, that's great news. ill keep searching as well.
Old 11-13-2012
SOEC Member

Anyone talk to Saleen? Didn't Phil Frank pen that car? Maybe he can help with dimensions. I use to have an article on that car somewhere and it gave all the paticulars and I believe it was in an older catalog. I'll hvae to look and see what I can find. I still have stuff in boxes from my move to go through...lol
Old 11-13-2012

I had spoken with saleen a couple years ago. Basically the same thing I got. Molds destroyed and no interest in bring the kit back even with a group buy.

Ive spent the last couple years trying to find a kit or the display car in hopes to potentially make molds.

At the same time I had talked with joe at chicane, I was talking with some guys from performance autosport. They knew of no one that had a kit, but had heard there are some out there. I just kinda gave up after looking for so long and not getting anywhere. But, every once in a while I get a wild hair and want to keep looking.

I hope that everyone here can help out in the search for one. I am all in for helping make this kit available again. Even if people were to want it in fiberglass to save some money. Its an idea to have as an option.

anyways, not trying to steal your thread Rick. just rambling on and hope any info helps all.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2012
SOEC Member

I saw a kit years ago, but it wasn't exactly the same kit. I was thinking maybe Phil might have dimensions for you somewhere not have the molds. I honestly think it will have to be recreated and that isn't cheap. I thought about trying it myself myself, but never had the space or time, or car...lol I was debating doing it with my 01, but I am gonna sell it... Good luck. I think it would be awesome...
Old 11-14-2012
SOEC Member

Rick,

Just wondering if you spoke with the gentleman that owns or operates the Fox Shoppe? His name is Jimmy. Well when I spoke with him last, he said he was very good friends with Phil Frank. Not sure if you spoke with either of these guys yet. But they might know something..
Old 11-14-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

In searching this go around, I promised not to reveal names but I will say that molds DO exist and they reside with some race car owners. Unfortunately they are not too interested in selling to non race car owners at this time. Long history on why it has to be this way, but it does give hope that someday in the future, they may be willing to.

So many rumors on so many destroyed and sold items of Saleen history over the years. Truth could almost make a day time soap sitcom.

In light of this, I am putting the idea on hold for a while. Have a little one on the way first (coming May 9th, 2013). After that we will see if the Mach 1 is still in my possession or just how I feel. May just by a GEN II Viper Coupe and hit the track again. Good thing I still have the 579 rwhp of the BASF Mystic to tie me over. Really enjoying that car when the weather is nice. It runs so fricken' good now.
Old 11-14-2012

Rick any possibility that the XP bumper molds are somewhere? The word is they were destroyed also, but you never can tell. I think there would be some interest even with just Explorer owners that would be interested in purchasing. Certianly not a lot of XP's left and a lot of them that are left are pretty beat up.
Old 11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksaleen View Post
In searching this go around, I promised not to reveal names but I will say that molds DO exist and they reside with some race car owners. Unfortunately they are not too interested in selling to non race car owners at this time. Long history on why it has to be this way, but it does give hope that someday in the future, they may be willing to.

So many rumors on so many destroyed and sold items of Saleen history over the years. Truth could almost make a day time soap sitcom.

Thanks for more info Rick, Its hard to tell whats right and wrong when you get so many people involved. Im glad to hear they do exist, but not that they wont sell. Hopefully some day.

Thanks
Brent
Old 11-15-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

I also heard XP8 molds were destroyed. Guess I don't believe any of it as why destroy molds that aren't hurting anyone just sitting there. I don't have proof but logic would dictate they are somewhere. If I ever come across an answer to that question I will pass along. I had a 2000 XP8 for many years so I know the glass slipper feeling. I put on over 70k miles on it and restored it as best I could with the parts Saleen never did sell it with. If it did not ride so rough I would still have it, then again enjoying the daily driver 06' Cayenne Turbo S a lot more.
Old 05-31-2014

I realize this thread is a bit old, and I hope that bumping it isn't frowned upon. I've been searching the internet for months trying to locate this front bumper for my project:

I keep stumbling onto this thread (I must have read through it 50x by now lol) and figured since I seem to be hitting a dead end, maybe one of you has a lead for me. Some of you seem to be well connected so I figured it was worth a shot! Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 05-31-2014
Administrator

Are you specifically looking for an SR Wide Body front bumper (like above) or are you looking for the 1994-98 standard front bumper cover?

If seeking a competition front bumper cover, the 1995-96 comp SR and 1997-98 T1 SR front cover may be a better fit. These vehicles were not "wide body."
Attached Thumbnails
SMustang.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 05-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Are you specifically looking for an SR Wide Body front bumper (like above) or are you looking for the 1994-98 standard front bumper cover?

If seeking a competition front bumper cover, the 1995-96 comp SR and 1997-98 T1 SR front cover may be a better fit. These vehicles were not "wide body."
I would be happy with either the wide body front or the comp SR/T1 SR bumper, not really looking for the standard issue street cover. Ideally I've been looking for the widebody front with the built in dive planes, but I'd have to do some modifying to use it on a non-widebody. The second two options would probably be my best bet for a direct fit. Does anyone have a source for any of the 3?
Old 06-01-2014

Well I stumbled onto something, not the front bumper I've been looking for, but rather a somewhat rough pair of carbon fiber Saleen/Allen front fenders for sale on eBay. The seller states that they think they're widebody fenders, but they don't look as massive as the widebody fenders. It looks like someone trimmed away the fender lips, so I'd definitely have to repair those. Anyone know if these look like the widebody pieces or are they just carbon versions of the OEM fenders? If they're the wide ones, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291158592546
Old 06-01-2014
Administrator

At one time Rick was selling the red SN-95 race car. I don't believe it wore wide body trim.

http://rickaracing.com/
Attached Thumbnails
mustSale.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 06-01-2014

Quote:
At one time Rick was selling the red SN-95 race car. I don't believe it wore wide body trim.

Oh ok, that's what I figured, the widebody fenders seem to have a very pronounced body line near the corner light, the ones in the auction don't, which was the first flag to me. That and the wide fenders are about a mile across the top of the fender, the ones on ebay didn't look nearly as monstrous.

Anyway, maybe someone else on here is interested in them anyhow.

I think the 1995-96 comp SR or 1997-98 T1 SR front cover would be my best bet. It would take a LOT of work to get the WB front to fit the standard fenders. If any of you have a source for me, I would be eternally grateful. I'm very motivated and don't expect it to be exactly cheap, nothing rare is! It just appears that you have to know someone to get your hands on these parts, which I don't. :(
Old 06-01-2014

Quote:

I have those fender flares sitting on my garage shelf.
Old 06-02-2014
SOEC Member (Inactive)

I have a factory 94-98 Saleen SR CF WC front ground effects I bought for the Mystic hanging in the garage. They are very expensive. I paid a couple of grand +, including shipping for the one I have. If you really want one, it is going to cost you. Just wanted to let you know the ballparks.
Old 06-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemustangperformance View Post
I have those fender flares sitting on my garage shelf.
Are you referring to widebody fenders or the add-on export flares shown on the red car?

Quote:
I have a factory 94-98 Saleen SR CF WC front ground effects I bought for the Mystic hanging in the garage. They are very expensive. I paid a couple of grand +, including shipping for the one I have. If you really want one, it is going to cost you. Just wanted to let you know the ballparks.
That's the non-wide body front correct, and only the front (not including the fenders)? I'd even be open to one made of fiberglass to reduce the cost some, but I'm guessing they only make them in CF. Oh well, gotta pay to play, thanks to Dave I have an email shot off to someone who should be able to help me out. We'll see what I hear back.
Old 06-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95riosnake View Post
Are you referring to widebody fenders or the add-on export flares shown on the red car?

That's the non-wide body front correct, and only the front (not including the fenders)? I'd even be open to one made of fiberglass to reduce the cost some, but I'm guessing they only make them in CF. Oh well, gotta pay to play, thanks to Dave I have an email shot off to someone who should be able to help me out. We'll see what I hear back.

Mine are just the flares, but they are not the export, they are the original Ford Racing flares (which are different than the Export flares).
Old 06-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemustangperformance View Post
Mine are just the flares, but they are not the export, they are the original Ford Racing flares (which are different than the Export flares).
I didn't know Ford Racing made a flare for this body style other than the export flares, always learning something new, even 11 years into owning an sn95 lol. Now that you mention it the flares on the red car do look a bit different than the export flares. Those have to be some super rare pieces for sure.
Old 06-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95riosnake View Post
I didn't know Ford Racing made a flare for this body style other than the export flares, always learning something new, even 11 years into owning an sn95 lol. Now that you mention it the flares on the red car do look a bit different than the export flares. Those have to be some super rare pieces for sure.

Yup, Ford Racing made them first, then Export made them a few years after Ford Racing stopped production. The main difference is how the fronts come down the back of the wheel well more than the Exports, plus they stick out a little more than the Exports.
Old 06-04-2014

I got an email back regarding the front bumper:

"I am not sure if the tooling still exists to make these anymore. I haven't seen it in over 10 years. I can ask around the last place I saw it and let you know, but I haven't had any luck in the past."

So it looks like a no-go from that contact.

Quote:
I have a factory 94-98 Saleen SR CF WC front ground effects I bought for the Mystic hanging in the garage.
Where did you locate yours?
Old 06-07-2014
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Bought it from a current Saleen Racecar owner. Last spare he had. Luck to get it.
Old 06-07-2014

Quote:
Bought it from a current Saleen Racecar owner. Last spare he had. Luck to get it.
Ok, that's what I figured.

I found a guy whose friend has a SR wide body roller that he got in trade when he was in the restoration business a few years back, it's basically just a chassis with unfinished body panels and some running gear. Apparently his business went under but he still has the car sitting around with no real plans to go anywhere with it anytime soon. He has extra body panels so his friend is going to be visiting him at the beginning of next month, I gave him my cell number so he will run the idea of selling a couple extra body parts past him and let me know.

Crossing my fingers!
Old 07-15-2014

Update: The guy didn't end up going to see the friend with the car, he is tentatively going to go in late August so I guess these fingers will be staying crossed a bit longer.
Old 08-23-2014

I have a CF street SR front bumper (non widebody version) Same as the 94-98 but lower to the ground and the large side bumper vents.
Old 11-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt5150 View Post
I have a CF street SR front bumper (non widebody version) Same as the 94-98 but lower to the ground and the large side bumper vents.
Any pics installed?
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme
Old 11-22-2014

I've pretty much given up actively pursuing the kit. Every lead I've found had been a dead end. The guy with the friend who had the roller widebody race car disappeared from the internet so I never heard back from him again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt5150 View Post
Are you selling it?
Old 11-23-2014
SOEC Member

I've got a non widebody 94 to 98 carbon fiber race nose too. I got it at Carlisle pa two years ago. I stole it for $150. It will go on my s351 someday. I could get a mold made from it and get it reproduced in either carbon or fiberglass if there was a real interest.
1994 S 351 R #37
Old 11-25-2014
SOEC Member

my Sr nose I scored at Carlisle a couple of years back.

1994 S 351 R #37
Old 11-26-2014

that's a hell of a score for $150

DSS 331 Super Pro Bullet, Vortech V-2 SQ, AFR Comp 185 heads, Performer RPM intake, AFM B-21 cam, AFM PMS, T3550 tranny, Hypercoated FR500 wheels. 450RWHP+TQ last time dynoed