The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 05-15-2014
Account with Invalid Email

Default Seeking shop: Series VI supercharger service

Hello all. I'm new to the site. I was wondering if anyone new of anyone in the St. Louis area worth a **** that can service the series vi supercharger. Change oil, make sure it's functioning properly etc.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-15-2014
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

If you want to drive it to Springfield IL area I can pass you the wrenches and show you how to check to oil. If you want to change the oil you better bring a sleeping bag because it requires a little more work.
Old 05-15-2014

Well I was hoping to find someone local. The shop its at now wants to pull the blower. Which I understand is the best way. But I'm not that confident in them. All they know is what I have told them to research. I'm not sure it needs to be changed. I recently purchased the car. I don't know how many miles are on the blower. But the car has 57,000mi.
Old 05-16-2014

They recommend rebuilding the supercharger at around 40-50k miles. Jason at 281 Motorsports can help you out with it but you can expect the car to be out of commision for awhile since you have to ship the supercharger out to California. If the shop is not giving you confidence in their ability I would definately take it somewhere else. You might also try Justin at JMB performance in Festus MO. His number is 314-540-1541. I don't know if he has any experience with Saleen's or not but he has worked on just about everything and is very knowledgable and skilled. Tell him Jason from Springfield sent you and if he has questions he can call me.
Old 05-16-2014

Thanks Jason. I will give him a call. Much appreciated!
Old 05-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivo2go View Post
Thanks Jason. I will give him a call. Much appreciated!
If we can be of help, give us a call. We do a complete overhaul on the supercharger which is much needed at 40k miles. We also make a dipstick kit so you can monitor the oil level.

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 05-16-2014

How much is the dipstick kit? Is it easy to install? Or do I have to remove the upper portion and crossover pipe?
Old 05-16-2014

Quote:
How much is the dipstick kit? Is it easy to install? Or do I have to remove the upper portion and crossover pipe?
They are $85. You have to remove the alt and the water crossover. It should take you 1.5 hours if the blower is on the car...but worth finally being able to check your oil level in under a min.

Old 05-16-2014

Thanks Jason. I just called and ordered a little bit ago. Do you have any recommendations for anyone to tune the car in the St. Louis area? I had the other shop go ahead and install the new x4 tuner. But lost considerable horse power. Had a Delta Force on it before and nobody around here had even heard of it. Lost about 60rwhp.
Old 05-17-2014

Quote:
Thanks Jason. I just called and ordered a little bit ago. Do you have any recommendations for anyone to tune the car in the St. Louis area? I had the other shop go ahead and install the new x4 tuner. But lost considerable horse power. Had a Delta Force on it before and nobody around here had even heard of it. Lost about 60rwhp.
Give me a call on monday so we can discuss what you have done.

Old 05-18-2014

Thanks. I'll call and ask for you tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2014

Quote:
Thanks. I'll call and ask for you tomorrow.
Did my team get you squared away?

Old 05-24-2014

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to call yet. I'll try and get ahold of you after the holiday weekend. Thanks again. I did get the oil dip stick kit yesterday. hope to get it installed soon as I can find someone to do it. Not sure I wanna tackle that one myself.
Old 12-01-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethrough View Post
If you want to drive it to Springfield IL area I can pass you the wrenches and show you how to check to oil. If you want to change the oil you better bring a sleeping bag because it requires a little more work.
Did you ever find a place and if so what happened?
Old 12-01-2014

So let me get this straight ! Both the alternator and water crossover have to be removed just in order to check the friggin oil level ? Then on top of that shell out an additional $85.00 to purchase an oil dipstick that should had been included by Saleen to begin with..

IMHO, this is totally ridiculous and unacceptable for a such a reputable company as Saleen to charge over 5-6k for these supercharger kits but yet can't even bother to include a simple dipstick for their customers so they can monitor their oil level when necessary ?

If that isn't bad enough in itself, then they end up making it more difficult for the end user by requiring the removal of both the alternator and water crossover pipe just to check the **** oil level..

Sure, it should only take just one minute for someone to check their oil level, however once you factor in the removal of the alternator and water crossover pipe.. How long does that very same one minute oil level check become then ??????
Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Borla ATAK mufflers - Pypes cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires 275/40/18" square - GT500 strut mounts - Hurst short throw shifter - CFM billet oil cap breather - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Eibach camber bolts - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Koni adj sport struts/shocks - BMR poly adj panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm stock airbox - Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune.
Old 12-01-2014

Considering that the supercharger was designed to conservatively not need an oil change for 50K miles I don't think the design is that outrageous. If you look at all of the engineering work that went into building their own design of supercharger I think they did a really good job.
2004-013 Ford Mustang Salween Extreme-FOR SALE
1999 Ford Mustang Cobra convertible SA-20 clone
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8-SOLD
2002 Big Dog Pitbull-SOLD
2005-1343 Ford Mustang Saleen SC281. Barricade replica-SOLD
2011 Ram Express
2006-016 Ford Mustang Saleen Extreme-FOR SALE
2012 Ford F150 FX2
2007-300 Ford Mustang Saleen SC281-FOR SALE
2005 Ram SRT-10 RC CE #43-FOR SALE
Old 12-01-2014

From my understanding, the actual manufacturer is technically a Lysholm based 2.3L Twin Screw supercharger that was licensed to Saleen, unless of course Lysholm was just the parts manufacturer ?

And although the supercharger doesn't require an oil change for 50k miles.. That wasn't my point, my point is, the end user should be able to have easy access when checking their oil level when required..

Just as a car's engine doesn't require an oil change for 3-5k miles or every 3 months, the oil levels still require being monitored, as oil viscosity breaks down over time..

I'm also fully aware that supercharger oil doesn't break down to the extent of what a car's internal combustion engine does, however were still talking about moving parts such as the supercharger's internal gears, rotors ect. that still require oil and will eventually break down and require monitoring never the less..

Therefore, one shouldn't be required to have to remove their alternator, water crossover when it comes to just making certain their oil levels remain safe !
Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Borla ATAK mufflers - Pypes cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires 275/40/18" square - GT500 strut mounts - Hurst short throw shifter - CFM billet oil cap breather - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Eibach camber bolts - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Koni adj sport struts/shocks - BMR poly adj panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm stock airbox - Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune.
Old 12-01-2014
SOEC Member

You can check the oil level without removing the crossover.
Old 12-01-2014
SOEC Member

You are correct the internals of the blower are from Lysholm who was bought out by Vortech. I had an issue with my SC and Vortech sent me to PSE superchargers who Vortech stated was the only authorized facility for repair.
PSE installed a site class to check the oil level. I use an inspection tube camera to view the oil level. This takes about a minute to line up the camera with the site glass and works very well. When cold the site glass is at half full and at hot is at the very top of the glass.
If you have any question call Vortech at 805 247 0226 and ask for Ernie.
Old 12-01-2014

Default Series VI supercharger service pictures and ideas?

This is on my 2007 S281 SC with 12,200 miles. After reading multiple threads and hearing various stories I've not actually found any thread successfully showing directions to checking, adding or changing the fluid themselves without removing additional items in the engine? Even the Saleen directions are not much help from what I have seen. Maybe I'm missing something, but if I can find a 1/4 ratchet, long ext, and swivel head that fits through the small opening on top it seems that you'll be able to get access to the Allen head without removing anything else other than the front air box arm to help you view the area. I've posted a few pictures of my findings. Has anyone tried this before? The only concern I would have is breaking the Allen bolt free from the factory. Maybe soaking it with some PB Blaster and be careful to not get any inside the supercharger would help? I've also noticed that they make 45 degree Allen wrenches which may do the trick if you can get enough leverage on them.

Once it's free you can take a syringe and fish tank tubing to work with the fluids.

So I would be curious as to those who have successfully done this on their own with no issues. Also would like to know if anyone installed the S281 Motorsports dip stick on their own and can post pictures of what it looks like. Does it come through the top and if so did you have to remove any other parts to install it? Unfortunately my 2007 has the blue gasket too as I can see it on the sides, so I would not be surprised if it's leaking too thus the urgency to checking it.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2014
SOEC Member

Open this link and scroll to the bottom of the thread. This may help you.

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=3158
Old 12-01-2014
SOEC Member

I fastened a piece in the plug. I just take off the alternator and turn it out with a 1/4 wrench, I have a small ratchet that works too.

Old 12-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbar View Post
You can check the oil level without removing the crossover.
Would you mind walking me through what steps to take ?
Old 12-01-2014

No. I haven't in stalled it yet. I haven't found a shop in town I feel comfortable with. It's just sitting on my toolbox. I don't know what I am going to do. either get a new '15 or might trailer it up to Brenspeed if I keep it.
Old 12-01-2014

What size is that Allen head before you added the attachment?
Old 12-01-2014

Quote:
I fastened a piece in the plug. I just take off the alternator and turn it out with a 1/4 wrench, I have a small ratchet that works too.

I wonder how tight this thing is from the factory? Even with the alternator removed you still don't have much room from left to right.
Old 12-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SaleenExtreme View Post
You are correct the internals of the blower are from Lysholm who was bought out by Vortech. I had an issue with my SC and Vortech sent me to PSE superchargers who Vortech stated was the only authorized facility for repair.
PSE installed a site class to check the oil level. I use an inspection tube camera to view the oil level. This takes about a minute to line up the camera with the site glass and works very well. When cold the site glass is at half full and at hot is at the very top of the glass.
If you have any question call Vortech at 805 247 0226 and ask for Ernie.
You've been a great help in addressing my concerns, and I'll most definitely contact Ernie over at Vortech..

It's also my understanding that JDM, Brenspeed and 281 motorsports also repair our Saleen blowers as well..
Old 12-01-2014

Default Found the oil BTW that came with the supercharger.

http://www.brenspeed.com/saleenoil.html
Old 12-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcary View Post
This is on my 2007 S281 SC with 12,200 miles. After reading multiple threads and hearing various stories I've not actually found any thread successfully showing directions to checking, adding or changing the fluid themselves without removing additional items in the engine? Even the Saleen directions are not much help from what I have seen. Maybe I'm missing something, but if I can find a 1/4 ratchet, long ext, and swivel head that fits through the small opening on top it seems that you'll be able to get access to the Allen head without removing anything else other than the front air box arm to help you view the area. I've posted a few pictures of my findings. Has anyone tried this before? The only concern I would have is breaking the Allen bolt free from the factory. Maybe soaking it with some PB Blaster and be careful to not get any inside the supercharger would help? I've also noticed that they make 45 degree Allen wrenches which may do the trick if you can get enough leverage on them.

Once it's free you can take a syringe and fish tank tubing to work with the fluids.

So I would be curious as to those who have successfully done this on their own with no issues. Also would like to know if anyone installed the S281 Motorsports dip stick on their own and can post pictures of what it looks like. Does it come through the top and if so did you have to remove any other parts to install it? Unfortunately my 2007 has the blue gasket too as I can see it on the sides, so I would not be surprised if it's leaking too thus the urgency to checking it.
I couldn't agree more, as I downloaded the Saleen instructions from Brenspeed's website and the instructions didn't provide any help at all..

Totally useless as far as I'm concerned !
Old 12-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SaleenExtreme View Post
Open this link and scroll to the bottom of the thread. This may help you.

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=3158
Thank you for the link, I noticed that one before and all is says is Allen wrench. I'd like to know if it's from the top or the front that they're accessing this from. I have an allen wrench and my own ideas, but would like to know what tools people used before I try to reinvent the wheel.
Old 12-01-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
I wonder how tight this thing is from the factory? Even with the alternator removed you still don't have much room from left to right.
Once it's cracked loose you can actually get your fingers on either side of the fitting and spin it out. After doing it a few times the process takes me about 15 minutes now
Old 12-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TorchRedGT View Post
I couldn't agree more, as I downloaded the Saleen instructions from Brenspeed's website and the instructions didn't provide any help at all..

Totally useless as far as I'm concerned !
I'm going to give it a try. I don't think it's difficult, just a very tight space. Would rather not have to remove alt, so we'll see. I also have a local performance shop I might visit if I cannot break the bolt free, but the rest I would rather do and learn. They will charge 1 hour labor to check, however I don't think they're fully aware of the space issues and we very well may be far ahead of them with the knowledge from others on this thread.
Old 12-01-2014

Quote:
Once it's cracked loose you can actually get your fingers on either side of the fitting and spin it out. After doing it a few times the process takes me about 15 minutes now
That's awesome, thank you. It sure would suck to drop that thing in the engine compartment or under the supercharger and not be able to find it...
Old 12-01-2014

Quote:
BTW. Nice color Saleen! Mine is the same, Redfire. 07-341.
Old 12-01-2014

Quote:
You've been a great help in addressing my concerns, and I'll most definitely contact Ernie over at Vortech..

It's also my understanding that JDM, Brenspeed and 281 motorsports also repair our Saleen blowers as well..
I dont know if others do them, but we are referred by Brenspeed and are the only shop Authorized by Saleen and currently used by Saleen to rebuild these superchargers. Lysholm was only in the past few years acquired by Vortech, so I’m not clear how they had anything to do with these superchargers that were manufactured long before the acquisition. I will call my buddies at Vortech and see what I can dig up.

Installing our dipstick kit is quite simple and should only take 1.5 hours with basic hand tools. We include a very detailed instruction manual to install our kit and we always have staff on hand to answer any questions.

As to the blower design, there were good and bad things in the design. The LONG runner length makes great power, but is sacrafised by putting the drive assembly down in the valley of the motor where it gets warm. Good and bad, we've made a ton of power with them and will continue to appreciate them!

Old 12-01-2014

By the way, we sell the supercharger oil as well in a pre-measured out bottle for $29.99....pour and go. Our dipstick kits come with a 1oz. bottle to top off the supercharger if needbe.

Old 12-01-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
That's awesome, thank you. It sure would suck to drop that thing in the engine compartment or under the supercharger and not be able to find it...
I should of added. You can see the rags I pack around the area. That's just in case i drop it. The plug is brass, the peice I put in the plug is metal so now I spin it out with my magnetic pick up tool in there so there's no chance of dropping it.
Old 12-01-2014
SOEC Member

The internal parts such as the rotors were from Lysholm. The Saleen blower is a Lysholm unit in a Saleen manifold. PSE superchargers bought out the entire inventory of the parts from Lysholm. PSE will not sell these parts to customers or vendors. Call PSE or Vortech and validate, I did.
Old 12-01-2014

Saleen has plenty of stock on Saleen internal parts, we buy from them. The parts we can obtain that offer updated/better parts we source on our own.

Old 12-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ 281m View Post
By the way, we sell the supercharger oil as well in a pre-measured out bottle for $29.99....pour and go. Our dipstick kits come with a 1oz. bottle to top off the supercharger if needbe.
Is that the same oil as Brenspeed and the same size? They sell theirs for $45.99 then it's $15 shipping.

Old 12-02-2014

Quote:
Is that the same oil as Brenspeed and the same size? They sell theirs for $45.99 then it's $15 shipping.

Yes, we both sell the same oil. We buy it by the gallons, and bottle it in 8oz bottles for a perfect pre-measured fill. The smallest NYE packages it for retail is a larger bottle (16oz) that Brenspeed sells. Either way, whether you buy it from us or Brenspeed, your getting the same OEM Quality oil your supercharger needs.

Side note: if your needed to add or change oil, you need to service the supercharger. The system doesnt "consume" oil, and if your leaking oil and have ran anything below 8oz of oil, the nose bearings and drive assembly should be checked for damaged or more damage can occur. If your at 40k miles, a thourough service should be done.

Keep in mind, please discard the unused portion after approx 6 months after being opened. It has been recomended to us that is not advised to be used at that point.

*****As a Holiday Promotion, we will include a FREE Dipstick kit ($85 value plus shipping), and a "Saleen Coil Pack Decal Kit" ($29.99 value) for any Supercharger Services conducted in December / January. This offer is good for SOEC Paid members only.

Last edited by Jason @ 281m; 12-02-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-02-2014

Quote:
I dont know if others do them, but we are referred by Brenspeed and are the only shop Authorized by Saleen and currently used by Saleen to rebuild these superchargers. Lysholm was only in the past few years acquired by Vortech, so I’m not clear how they had anything to do with these superchargers that were manufactured long before the acquisition. I will call my buddies at Vortech and see what I can dig up.

Installing our dipstick kit is quite simple and should only take 1.5 hours with basic hand tools. We include a very detailed instruction manual to install our kit and we always have staff on hand to answer any questions.

As to the blower design, there were good and bad things in the design. The LONG runner length makes great power, but is sacrafised by putting the drive assembly down in the valley of the motor where it gets warm. Good and bad, we've made a ton of power with them and will continue to appreciate them!
After reading over your post, what I don't understand first of all is this..

Why would your shop be referred to by Brenspeed when it comes to rebuilding the Saleen units, being as they also repair and rebuild them at their own facilities ?

I also disagree with your statement about claiming to be the only shop that is authorized by Saleen and used by Saleen to rebuild their superchargers, as this is clearly not accurate..

The fact is.. Brenspeed has been an authorized Saleen service center and distributor for years.. In addition, if any of their customers purchased their Saleen S/C kits and then installed by Brenspeed ? The customer would also retain the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty from Ford..

JDM engineering has also been an authorized Saleen service center for years as well and continue to be to this day.. JDM btw: also worked directly with Saleen and did the actual tuning for the Saleen extreme and ultimate calibrations..

As for the blower design.. How are they making such great power if that same power is being sacrificed by putting the drive assembly down in the valley of the engine where it gets hot ?

This also seems to be contradictory as well.. As I'm sure you're fully aware that colder/denser air creates power and that heat destroys it..

The bottom line is this.. I'll be the first to admit that I am far from being an expert when it comes to mechanical engineering, however I do have enough common sense to know that if something doesn't make logical sense.. Then I'm going to question and dispute it
Old 12-02-2014

Quote:
Yes, we both sell the same oil. We buy it by the gallons, and bottle it in 8oz bottles for a perfect pre-measured fill. The smallest NYE packages it for retail is a larger bottle (16oz) that Brenspeed sells. Either way, whether you buy it from us or Brenspeed, your getting the same OEM Quality oil your supercharger needs.

Side note: if your needed to add or change oil, you need to service the supercharger. The system doesnt "consume" oil, and if your leaking oil and have ran anything below 8oz of oil, the nose bearings and drive assembly should be checked for damaged or more damage can occur. If your at 40k miles, a thourough service should be done.

Keep in mind, please discard the unused portion after approx 6 months after being opened. It has been recomended to us that is not advised to be used at that point.

*****As a Holiday Promotion, we will include a FREE Dipstick kit ($85 value plus shipping), and a "Saleen Coil Pack Decal Kit" ($29.99 value) for any Supercharger Services conducted in December / January. This offer is good for SOEC Paid members only.
Thank you Jason. This might be an impossible question to answer, but I wonder how many people who have the blue sealant on their supercharger bother to have it serviced before the 40,000 -50,000 mile recommendation or even check their fluid? The 50,000 mile fluid change interval is misleading to me anyway because of the way the Saleen manual has it laid out. If "ALL" blue gaskets are failing it would be nice if Saleen would step up and make good for this as a recall and pay for having it replaced (don't laugh)... I would even consider opening up a case with NHTSA (http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects), but first reach out to Saleen and see why this is happening and how they can help. As a side note, I once had a filling that went bad in a tooth, the dentist used a new material and it was failing on most of the other patients as well, he made good for it and did not charge anything to repair (This is a hint to Saleen even though it's not car related). That Dentist is the same one I have been going to for over 20 years, I wonder why... If they give me the middle finger, then proceed from there. As a Speedlab repair center I would also consult your findings with NHTSA and submit a case. It could lead to an increase in repairs for your shop, but that's good for business. With the position Saleen is in I wouldn't expect them to assist in any way, but reaching out to the Saleen population would help educate people. I know for one when I was buying my car I did not hear much about this if any? Maybe it's just now starting to surface now that cars are getting more miles and age? I'm a big fan of getting it fixed the right way the first time and not having to look back wondering if it was done right, but if I have to only include a little oil here and there before the 40,000 - 50,000 service limit I may very well be retired from my day job, which I still have about another 20 years to go at this rate if I'm lucky... Shelling out about $1500 from start to finish on this repair for a car that is driven less than 1500 miles a year is a lot of green at this point. I would just monitor the oil for the short trips I do anyway and see how much it uses between intervals. Wish there was a shop locally.

Thanks for the info.
Rick
Old 12-02-2014
SOEC Member

We only use PSE Superchargers to repair or rebuild our Saleen Series VI units. They are the only Lyscholm dealer in the US that carries the parts necessary to do so. I have not tried to obtain anything from Saleen in recent years because they are barely a shell of what they used to be in aftermarket parts and service. There are very precise tolerances and clearances in these superchargers that have to be followed when assembled so I wouldn't trust any one other than a professional. PSE is the only shop we trust or will use.

We were the first Speedlab center Saleen authorized to do warranty work or any work for that matter on the 2005+ Mustangs other than Ford Dealerships. Brenspeed and Stage 3 followed suit. In recent years with out parts available to service and no help direct from Saleen we stopped considering ourselves a Saleen speedlab facility because the title really holds no value. Our name and reputation has been built over the years for building some of the fastest and best S197 Saleen Supercharged Mustangs on the planet! Our tuning, parts, and service are surpassed by no one!

The Seal in the front nose cone often goes on these Series VI units, I have seen superchargers with just over 2,000 miles and some with over 100,000 miles. There is no rhyme or reason as to why but I will tell you this, I believe it is all in the original assembly of the supercharger. I saw how and where these blowers were assembled. In a small, dark room, by one gentleman who built the units with mere hand tools. Look at other Supercharger manufactures they have Clean rooms and machines that assembled the units and measure and test them before ever being put on a car. Roush and Eaton joined forces some years back and the facility they put together is mind blowing. I have never seen a failure with an Eaton product like I have with these Saleen built Lyscholm units.

Rob Simons who currently works for Edelbrock and has designed their entire E-force Supercharger line up originally designed the Series VI Saleen Supercharger. The Blower housing was his design, the internals and parts used to build it were provided by Lyscholm. So it is a Saleen Supercharger Housing with Lyscholm internals if you want to get technical. PSE is the only Licensed dealer and repair facility in the US for Lyscholm, Eaton, and a number of other companies. Ed, the owner is a Supercharger Wiz Genius. I always enjoy talking with him because he is like a made scientist, always explaining things in perfect detail and not one to walk away from a challenge or to try and design something better. Check out this TWIN Supercharged Lightning he built years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMdiqK68iOg Ed is a true engineer and will not molest your supercharger, but turn it into a work of art!

JimIII
Old 12-02-2014

Here you go...please see below.

Quote:
After reading over your post, what I don't understand first of all is this..

Why would your shop be referred to by Brenspeed when it comes to rebuilding the Saleen units, being as they also repair and rebuild them at their own facilities ?
Because we have a great working relationship with them and they know we specialize in them.

Quote:
I also disagree with your statement about claiming to be the only shop that is authorized by Saleen and used by Saleen to rebuild their superchargers, as this is clearly not accurate..
We are unaware of any other "Authorized" or "Referred" shops.

Quote:
The fact is.. Brenspeed has been an authorized Saleen service center and distributor for years.. In addition, if any of their customers purchased their Saleen S/C kits and then installed by Brenspeed ? The customer would also retain the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty from Ford..
That is not true. No shop can offer that on Ford's behalf. They may have purchased a 3rd party Warranty Insurance program and factor that into their cost.

To clairify, if you purchased a Saleen from a Ford Dealership with an originally equipped supercharger, your engine/supercharger warranty became 1yr/12,000 miles and was honored through Saleen. This had some variance due to State laws.

Quote:
JDM engineering has also been an authorized Saleen service center for years as well and continue to be to this day.. JDM btw: also worked directly with Saleen and did the actual tuning for the Saleen extreme and ultimate calibrations..
I have understood otherwise from Saleen on the relationship currently, but that is none of my concern. I have been around the Saleen world for a long time, I am well versed on the relationship and part JDM played with Saleen.

Quote:
As for the blower design.. How are they making such great power if that same power is being sacrificed by putting the drive assembly down in the valley of the engine where it gets hot ?
I would suggest giving me a call to discuss in person - for my forum time is limited and this would be best explained in a small conversation.

Quote:
This also seems to be contradictory as well.. As I'm sure you're fully aware that colder/denser air creates power and that heat destroys it..
Yes, I am.

Quote:
The bottom line is this.. I'll be the first to admit that I am far from being an expert when it comes to mechanical engineering, however I do have enough common sense to know that if something doesn't make logical sense.. Then I'm going to question and dispute it
Sir, to question is one thing and I encourage that. I would have appreciated a slightly less aggressive approach in your disputes. I work very hard to support this club with FREE technical advice and support whenever needed. I donate quite a bit of time to Saleen owners from all over that appreciate my help.

I hope my anwsers clear up any confussion.

Old 12-02-2014

Rick,

Thanks for the call, I hope I have helped explain things.

Quote:
Thank you Jason. This might be an impossible question to answer, but I wonder how many people who have the blue sealant on their supercharger bother to have it serviced before the 40,000 -50,000 mile recommendation or even check their fluid? The 50,000 mile fluid change interval is misleading to me anyway because of the way the Saleen manual has it laid out. If "ALL" blue gaskets are failing it would be nice if Saleen would step up and make good for this as a recall and pay for having it replaced (don't laugh)... I would even consider opening up a case with NHTSA (http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects), but first reach out to Saleen and see why this is happening and how they can help. As a side note, I once had a filling that went bad in a tooth, the dentist used a new material and it was failing on most of the other patients as well, he made good for it and did not charge anything to repair (This is a hint to Saleen even though it's not car related). That Dentist is the same one I have been going to for over 20 years, I wonder why... If they give me the middle finger, then proceed from there. As a Speedlab repair center I would also consult your findings with NHTSA and submit a case. It could lead to an increase in repairs for your shop, but that's good for business. With the position Saleen is in I wouldn't expect them to assist in any way, but reaching out to the Saleen population would help educate people. I know for one when I was buying my car I did not hear much about this if any? Maybe it's just now starting to surface now that cars are getting more miles and age? I'm a big fan of getting it fixed the right way the first time and not having to look back wondering if it was done right, but if I have to only include a little oil here and there before the 40,000 - 50,000 service limit I may very well be retired from my day job, which I still have about another 20 years to go at this rate if I'm lucky... Shelling out about $1500 from start to finish on this repair for a car that is driven less than 1500 miles a year is a lot of green at this point. I would just monitor the oil for the short trips I do anyway and see how much it uses between intervals. Wish there was a shop locally.

Thanks for the info.
Rick

Old 12-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIII@JDM View Post
We only use PSE Superchargers to repair or rebuild our Saleen Series VI units. They are the only Lyscholm dealer in the US that carries the parts necessary to do so. I have not tried to obtain anything from Saleen in recent years because they are barely a shell of what they used to be in aftermarket parts and service. There are very precise tolerances and clearances in these superchargers that have to be followed when assembled so I wouldn't trust any one other than a professional. PSE is the only shop we trust or will use.

We were the first Speedlab center Saleen authorized to do warranty work or any work for that matter on the 2005+ Mustangs other than Ford Dealerships. Brenspeed and Stage 3 followed suit. In recent years with out parts available to service and no help direct from Saleen we stopped considering ourselves a Saleen speedlab facility because the title really holds no value. Our name and reputation has been built over the years for building some of the fastest and best S197 Saleen Supercharged Mustangs on the planet! Our tuning, parts, and service are surpassed by no one!

The Seal in the front nose cone often goes on these Series VI units, I have seen superchargers with just over 2,000 miles and some with over 100,000 miles. There is no rhyme or reason as to why but I will tell you this, I believe it is all in the original assembly of the supercharger. I saw how and where these blowers were assembled. In a small, dark room, by one gentleman who built the units with mere hand tools. Look at other Supercharger manufactures they have Clean rooms and machines that assembled the units and measure and test them before ever being put on a car. Roush and Eaton joined forces some years back and the facility they put together is mind blowing. I have never seen a failure with an Eaton product like I have with these Saleen built Lyscholm units.

Rob Simons who currently works for Edelbrock and has designed their entire E-force Supercharger line up originally designed the Series VI Saleen Supercharger. The Blower housing was his design, the internals and parts used to build it were provided by Lyscholm. So it is a Saleen Supercharger Housing with Lyscholm internals if you want to get technical. PSE is the only Licensed dealer and repair facility in the US for Lyscholm, Eaton, and a number of other companies. Ed, the owner is a Supercharger Wiz Genius. I always enjoy talking with him because he is like a made scientist, always explaining things in perfect detail and not one to walk away from a challenge or to try and design something better. Check out this TWIN Supercharged Lightning he built years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMdiqK68iOg Ed is a true engineer and will not molest your supercharger, but turn it into a work of art!

JimIII

And there you have it. There's nobody in the country that I would trust more than JDM when it comes to service, parts, advice or direction with one of these cars. They've been there done that. All fact no BS.
Old 12-02-2014

Quote:
Here you go...please see below.

Sir, to question is one thing and I encourage that. I would have appreciated a slightly less aggressive approach in your disputes. I work very hard to support this club with FREE technical advice and support whenever needed. I donate quite a bit of time to Saleen owners from all over that appreciate my help.

I hope my anwsers clear up any confussion.
First of all, I just happen to be one of your customers who purchased a Saleen airbox lid and hard plastic intake tube from both you and Glenn just a couple of months ago..

And second, you completely misunderstood or took what I posted in the wrong way.. As I said, that if a customer of Brenspeed purchased a Saleen VI S/C in addition to having it installed by them.. That it would not void their Ford factory 3 year/36,000 mile warranty..

Just as if a customer were to purchase a brand new Saleen 281 Extreme or 281S/C directly from a Saleen authorized dealer.. The Ford factory 3 year/36,000 mile warranty remains intact..

Also, you have my apologies if you feel my post was being just a bit too aggressive, as that clearly was not my intention, however as i said, if I feel that something doesn't seem to make any logical sense nor quite add up ? I both question and dispute it and at times, I do have a tendency of coming off as being very cautious and suspicious without even realizing it..

And btw: You and I have spoken on the phone before.. 3 times as a matter of fact, which was why I made the decision to purchase the Saleen airbox lid and hard plastic inlet tube from you to begin with.. We also discussed in lengthy detail what my cold start issues were related to as well, which we both agreed upon were calibration related..

I'll give you another hint.. Think of the name Bullwinkle, along with Western, PA.. And that should re-fresh your memory as to who I am
Old 12-02-2014
Administrator

Quote:
And second, you completely misunderstood or took what I posted in the wrong way.. As I said, that if a customer of Brenspeed purchased a Saleen VI S/C in addition to having it installed by them.. That it would not void their Ford factory 3 year/36,000 mile warranty..

Just as if a customer were to purchase a brand new Saleen 281 Extreme or 281S/C directly from a Saleen authorized dealer.. The Ford factory 3 year/36,000 mile warranty remains intact.
The FMC warranty is void with a Series VI Mustang install. Saleen covered the installs on serialized cars with their warranty.

I cannot speak to how coverage was handled on the F150 Harley Davidson SC trucks Saleen produced for FMC.

As a side note, most S197 Mustangs are out of warranty and the Saleen Series VI is out-of-production.
Old 12-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The FMC warranty is void with a Series VI Mustang install. Saleen covered the installs on serialized cars with their warranty.

I cannot speak to how coverage was handled on the F150 Harley Davidson SC trucks Saleen produced for FMC.

As a side note, most S197 Mustangs are out of warranty and the Saleen Series VI is out-of-production.
Then explain how Brenspeed was able to offer their customers full 3 year/36,000 mile warranties, if they installed their Saleen Series VI superchargers ?

Somebody had to honor those warranties !

And I'm also fully aware of the fact Dave about the Saleen series VI supercharger along with all their speedlab parts being out of production for quite sometime now..