The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 2007-2008 S331 Sportruck
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007-2008 S331 Sportruck For discussion of the F-150 platform "Thunder."

Old 01-30-2011
Saleen Forums Participant

Default frustrated fan

I've recently learned that JDM's web price is showing $300 higher than I was qouted a year ago. Of course I can't approve that qoute since my Harddrive crashed.
Anyhow it makes it harder to justify the HP per cost ratio and then combined that with the new talk of all this Pulley slippage stuff. Well that just ruins everything, one vendor offers the upgrade and the other doesn't.
Then several of the websites contradict each other. Well maybe not contradict but don't line up. One individual is selling the pulley slippage kit for one price and another is supposedly using the first vendor's kit is selling for nearly twice the price. And strangely the second vendor doesn't credit the first vendor anywhere on their site, so it all seems suspect.
Then the kit requires a software upgrade which of course is additional 'hidden' costs. Cost for the software(~300) and cost for a hand-held programmer(~400). So there is no cheap, quick fix in buying the pulley slippage kit; you're talking nearly a grand to perform the pulley slippage kit if you are starting from zero.
This is my biggest complaint about after-market products. Inconsistent pricing, confusing web information, etc.
Sorry for the rantt, I feel slightly better now.
With that said, I'm going towards suspension. I'm gonna lower my truck 2inches front and rear plus a rear sway all for around $550. It should look bad-*** and I'll try to take pics of the installation.

Jason
07-156
Old 01-31-2011
SOEC Member

This was an old post and our new price is $1795 but if you want to call me Ill see what the best i can do for a SOEC member is ; ) With our kits we have no issues with belt slip. You will not need the idler kit with our package!

JimIII
732-780-0770

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydewaz View Post
I've recently learned that JDM's web price is showing $300 higher than I was qouted a year ago. Of course I can't approve that qoute since my Harddrive crashed.
Anyhow it makes it harder to justify the HP per cost ratio and then combined that with the new talk of all this Pulley slippage stuff. Well that just ruins everything, one vendor offers the upgrade and the other doesn't.
Then several of the websites contradict each other. Well maybe not contradict but don't line up. One individual is selling the pulley slippage kit for one price and another is supposedly using the first vendor's kit is selling for nearly twice the price. And strangely the second vendor doesn't credit the first vendor anywhere on their site, so it all seems suspect.
Then the kit requires a software upgrade which of course is additional 'hidden' costs. Cost for the software(~300) and cost for a hand-held programmer(~400). So there is no cheap, quick fix in buying the pulley slippage kit; you're talking nearly a grand to perform the pulley slippage kit if you are starting from zero.
This is my biggest complaint about after-market products. Inconsistent pricing, confusing web information, etc.
Sorry for the rantt, I feel slightly better now.
With that said, I'm going towards suspension. I'm gonna lower my truck 2inches front and rear plus a rear sway all for around $550. It should look bad-*** and I'll try to take pics of the installation.

Jason
07-156
Old 01-31-2011
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Had no problems with mine, or with JDM. Haulin S331
Old 12-21-2013
Saleen Forums Registrant

Do anybody know where to get a cold air intake for my sc s331 used or new please help
Old 12-21-2013
SOEC Member

Here are some companies that have offered cold air intakes in the past ... not sure if they still do, but a good place to start. Of course, on any given day, you never know what might show up on eBay.

http://www.teamjdm.com
http://www.stage3motorsports.com
http://www.troyerperformance.com

2008 S331 SC, Bumper #21
2003 Mustang Cobra SVT Coupe
1994 F150 Extended Cab, 4.9L, 5 spd
1966 Ford 7 Litre Convertible, 4spd, 428 V8
1966 Ford Country Squire, 390 V8
1966 Ford Custom, Original Washington State Patrol Car, "P Code" 428 V8
1965 Ford T-Bird Landau, 390 V8
1958 Edsel Corsair (Canadian built) 410 V8
Old 05-27-2014
Saleen Forums Registrant

Is there any reason for not selling the jdm upgrade kit anymore? ..WHERE CAN I GET ONE ? Thanks
Old 05-27-2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by s331maniac View Post
Is there any reason for not selling the jdm upgrade kit anymore? ..WHERE CAN I GET ONE ? Thanks
Contact JDM Engineering or Jim Jr directly and see that they can do.
Old 08-10-2015

I contacted JDM, directly, and received a reply this morning. I received a brief, very negative response. The gist was 'the parts are no longer available.' I also asked about a long tube header installation and I was told 'there are no direct fit headers for your truck.' The impression that I was left with, after that response, was that I was dealing with a company that really didn't want my business. That is my opinion, but I believe I have the ability to interpret when I am being told to 'buzz off.' That is how it felt. Team JDM did state that they could help with a spark plug change and a custom tune, gee thanks.

There are literally hundreds of cold air intakes that fit our trucks. I am sure that at least a handful of the better designed, more expensive one will match the flow of the Roush pieces used in JDM's kit. As far as the pulleys, I have not done my research, but I would also venture that there are still options available. So I guess I will have to piece together my own kit, and then find a good tuner, who actually wants my business.
Installing long tube headers might be challenging, and require some modification, but I'm sure that any competent shop would be up to the task.

For right now, I am happy with my trucks performance, in stock (SC) trim. When I am ready to upgrade, this is the route that I will be taking.
Old 08-11-2015
SOEC Member

Hi, I just saw your message here about your S331 truck and wanted to give you an explanation for our response. You see there weren't very many Saleen S331 trucks made, the market is minimal we get a call like yours about once every couple of months. Also your truck was built custom by Saleen and the under hood parts and exhaust especially are limited to the modifications that you can make. Unless it is all done custom. Which we did here back in 2007-2009 when we had our S331 truck. Now since the parts are no longer available and we don't see as many of these trucks we don't offer parts for them. Or at least very minimal options as you were presented. Really all we can offer currently for a mail order customer is this...

*SCT X4 with custom tune (adds about 30 HP, better throttle response, firmer shifting, and fuel economy improvements)
*Autolite HT0 spark plugs - good maintenance and prevents against spark blow out or detonation with added power.
*JDM Electric fan kit - some S331's came with fan's often they failed due to wiring and design issues. Saleen recalled some trucks and put the stock clutch fan back in place, as so they did with all production Harley trucks. Our fan kit is made of Ford components with a custom harness and Heavy Duty fan motor, circuits, and relays.
*4.10 or 4.56 gear - gives you better acceleration.

Now as far as air intakes go because your truck has a supercharger we are limited, there is nothing out there of those hundreds of air kits that is large enough to support the power of the Supercharger. Your mass air flow sensor pegs 5 volt reading in current stock form. If you want to add boost you have to fix this. So naturally you need a larger air intake. We used to make one but we can no longer get the parts from Roush who supplied us with a 108mm air box. The stock air box is 80mm and every aftermarket airkit is about 80mm. To support the air flow from a supercharger the mass air flow sensor needs to sit in a housing of 100mm or larger. If you can get an air kit that can support this then we can tune the truck and add a smaller blower pulley. But no one makes them, I've had a few customers find old Roush parts or make their own. Now one of the other problems with fitting the Roush air box and tube is you have to relocate your intercooler reservoir and power steering fluid reservoir.

The headers, as far as it goes no one makes a system that will bolt up to your side exhaust. We installed headers on trucks only when they came to our shop. Even then it was a lengthy and expensive job. The gains are worth it, especially if you get the air kit and pulley figured out. We can offer the headers but you have to get an exhaust shop to make the rest of the system from the headers back.

I read Nick's email to you, he was trying to be helpful. Sorry if we could not support your truck any longer for the upgrades you wanted but your going to find the market is slim and what you need to do is something custom. Good luck, and you can contact us anytime if you need help.

Thanks,

JimIII
732-780-0770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcop View Post
I contacted JDM, directly, and received a reply this morning. I received a brief, very negative response. The gist was 'the parts are no longer available.' I also asked about a long tube header installation and I was told 'there are no direct fit headers for your truck.' The impression that I was left with, after that response, was that I was dealing with a company that really didn't want my business. That is my opinion, but I believe I have the ability to interpret when I am being told to 'buzz off.' That is how it felt. Team JDM did state that they could help with a spark plug change and a custom tune, gee thanks.

There are literally hundreds of cold air intakes that fit our trucks. I am sure that at least a handful of the better designed, more expensive one will match the flow of the Roush pieces used in JDM's kit. As far as the pulleys, I have not done my research, but I would also venture that there are still options available. So I guess I will have to piece together my own kit, and then find a good tuner, who actually wants my business.
Installing long tube headers might be challenging, and require some modification, but I'm sure that any competent shop would be up to the task.

For right now, I am happy with my trucks performance, in stock (SC) trim. When I am ready to upgrade, this is the route that I will be taking.
Old 08-11-2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIII@JDM View Post
JimIII
732-780-0770
Thanks Jim for stopping by and assisting with this matter.
Old 08-11-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Great reply Jim III. You are always a great help.
Old 08-11-2015

JimIII@JDM - I appreciate the in depth response, to my original inquiry. One exception that I will take is the assumption that I am/was a 'mail order' customer. I am located in Southern NH and JDM is only about 4.5 hours away from me. My plan was to drive my truck to your facility for installation of long tube headers, air box and tuning etc. Unfortunately I didn't do a good job conveying myself, as a serious customer, in my original inquiry. After the initial, dismissive email I received, I did a search for parts and found this thread. That is why I posted my opinion. Had I received a constructive, positive response, even with the same content, I would not have done so. Thanks again, for your time. I may still consider JDM for my upgrades.
Old 08-22-2018
SOEC Member

Just wanted to share we are re-releasing our S331/Harley Supercharged upgrade kit!! After coming up with a new air intake system we can use and tune with we are able to bring this kit back to the market and at an ALL TIME LOW PRICE!! $1095.00 + S&H Call 732-780-0770

http://www.teamjdm.com/2007-2008-sal...p-upgrade-kit/

Last edited by JimIII@JDM; 08-22-2018 at 11:53 AM.