The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-11-2016
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Someone claims an Airaid CAI will fit on a Saleen VI S/C w/o fabrication mods !

I came across a couple of images from someone on another forum who claims that an Airaid CAI will fit on a Saleen series VI S/C without having to make any modifications to the inlet tube in order to attach onto the throttle body while clear the upper portion of the alternator after being re-positioned with the Saleen alternator re-location bracket..

So my question is this.. Other than either re-shaping the inlet elbow of the Airaid tube or perhaps re-clocking the alternator, I honestly don't understand how the Airaid inlet elbow could possible be made to fit without some fabrication mods as I just mentioned..

Perhaps somebody in this forum can chime in who knows something that I'm obviously either missing or totally unaware of.. As I'm really stumped and at a complete stand still..

Anyway, here's the images attached below... Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
13892287_10154495788339267_7441337333413263398_n_zpsrxhwbjxb.jpg  

13925356_10154495789929267_8314348966340886407_n_zps6am9oiki.jpg  

Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Borla ATAK mufflers - Pypes cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires 275/40/18" square - GT500 strut mounts - Hurst short throw shifter - CFM billet oil cap breather - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Eibach camber bolts - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Koni adj sport struts/shocks - BMR poly adj panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm stock airbox - Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune.
Old 08-11-2016
Administrator

Better to buy a Saleen Ultimate Air Intake system. These fit and were factory on the 2008-09 S302 Extreme model.
Attached Thumbnails
SterlingAirKit1.jpg  

Old 08-11-2016

Dave.. The Saleen ultimate air intake was my first choice, however they have since been out of production and nearly impossible to find, even used..

The Airaid CAI on the other hand, is still in production which is my reason for starting up this thread.. So perhaps if somebody who might have some knowledge as to whether it can work and fit properly on a Saleen VI S/C without having to fabricate the inlet tube can hopefully chime in and provide some feedback..
Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Borla ATAK mufflers - Pypes cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires 275/40/18" square - GT500 strut mounts - Hurst short throw shifter - CFM billet oil cap breather - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Eibach camber bolts - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Koni adj sport struts/shocks - BMR poly adj panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm stock airbox - Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune.
Old 08-11-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TorchRedGT View Post
Dave.. The Saleen ultimate air intake was my first choice, however they have since been out of production and nearly impossible to find, even used..
Hi Rocky. I would recommend one of these new kits and call it a day.

(Incorrectly listed as the 'Extreme Intake'.)

eBay #: 182002943547
Old 08-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Hi Rocky. I would recommend one of these new kits and call it a day.

(Incorrectly listed as the 'Extreme Intake'.)

eBay #: 182002943547
Thanks Dave ! I completely forgot about Saleencars84 over on ebay..

My question however is this.. Is there an advantage upgrading from the Saleen 98mm MAF airbox lid that's included with the 475HP upgrade kit which replaces just the OEM airbox cover that also came factory installed on the 2007-08 Saleen Extreme S/C models over to the ultimate intake kit ?

Or should I just stick with my current Saleen 98mm MAF 475HP airbox cover ?
Old 08-11-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Dave ! I completely forgot about Saleencars84 over on ebay..

My question however is this.. Is there an advantage upgrading from the Saleen 98mm MAF airbox lid that's included with the 475HP upgrade kit which replaces just the OEM airbox cover that also came factory installed on the 2007-08 Saleen Extreme S/C models over to the ultimate intake kit ?

Or should I just stick with my current Saleen 98mm MAF 475HP airbox cover ?
I would send a note to Jim the III @ JDM Engineering. They would have dyno'ed and track tested these combinations when cars (and parts) were new.
Old 08-11-2016

Quote:
I would send a note to Jim the III @ JDM Engineering. They would have dyno'ed and track tested these combinations when cars (and parts) were new.
Good idea.. I'll definitely give Jim III a call
Old 08-11-2016
SOEC Member

You could also look at the JLT Series 3. It fits the Saleen S/C.
Old 08-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbar View Post
You could also look at the JLT Series 3. It fits the Saleen S/C.
No offense, but I'm not too fond of the JLT design.. I much prefer the velocity stack and heat shield design of Airaid, Steeda and Saleen ultimate CAI..
Old 08-12-2016

I have a ultimate air kit w/o the MAF that I never ended up using. Virtually new. Shoot me a PM.
Old 08-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07S281SC111 View Post
I have a ultimate air kit w/o the MAF that I never ended up using. Virtually new. Shoot me a PM.
PM has been sent..
Old 08-12-2016

Quote:
Dave ! Just a quick follow up.. I spoke to Jim III over at JDM engineering this morning and he recommends sticking with my current Saleen 98mm MAF airbox cover that replaced the OEM Mustang GT airbox lid..

According to his info, I wouldn't gain much of anything at all by upgrading to the Saleen ultimate 95mm air intake kit, despite the fact the ultimate kit uses a conical filter rather than a flat panel filter used for the Saleen OEM airbox in which Saleen modified by cutting the bottom section out in order to increase airflow..

Anyhow being that I wouldn't really see much of an increase in airflow by doing the ultimate air intake upgrade in addition to having to get a new calibration tune for it.. I've decided that it's in my best interest to follow Jim III's recommendation and stay with my current Saleen 98mm airbox setup as is..

In the meantime, thanks once again for all your help and support..

-Rocky
Old 09-21-2016

We are huge fans of the Saleen Ultimate CAI since the Techco version isnt available. We have new the Saleen Ultimate CAI new for sale.

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 09-22-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ 281m View Post
We are huge fans of the Saleen Ultimate CAI since the Techco version isnt available. We have new the Saleen Ultimate CAI new for sale.
The Saleen Ultimate CAI is nowhere to be found on the 281 motorsports website, as Saleencars84 on e-bay is the only vendor to my knowledge that carries them in stock and in new condition for $374.99..

As mentioned in a previous post, It was recommended by Jim III over at JDM engineering that upgrading from my current Saleen 98mm MAF airbox cover that was included with the 475HP upgrade kit over to the Saleen Ultimate CAI wouldn't really provide much if any improvement in neither airflow or performance despite the conical filter design and 95mm MAF housing.. IIRC the design of the Ultimate CAI is also considered an enclosed airbox just as the 98mm/475HP upgrade kit that was also included on all 07-09 Saleen Extreme models which had a small portion of the airbox section cut out in order to improve airflow..

At any rate, unless I'm somehow misinterpreting JDM's recommendation ? I just don't see any real advantage in upgrading to the Saleen Ultimate CAI over my current Saleen/Extreme 98mm airbox upgrade..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2009-Mu...4AAOSwI-BWKUNO
Old 09-23-2016

Rocky,

Not everything we sell is on our website. Our website sucks actually, but since we dont pride ourselves in doing eCommerce is hasnt been high on our priority list, which I know is something we should at some point get done...lol. But I guess we're always to busy playing in the shop to focus on a site. But those that buy from us know we can get them just about any quality part out there even if its not on our website.

Old 09-23-2016

Quote:
Rocky,

Not everything we sell is on our website. Our website sucks actually, but since we dont pride ourselves in doing eCommerce is hasnt been high on our priority list, which I know is something we should at some point get done...lol. But I guess we're always to busy playing in the shop to focus on a site. But those that buy from us know we can get them just about any quality part out there even if its not on our website.
Thanks for clarifying Jason, however as I mentioned before, another vendor suggested that I wouldn't really notice much or even any improvement at all in airflow and performance by upgrading from my current 98mm Saleen airbox upgrade to the Saleen Ultimate CAI..

In the meantime, I'd be very interested in your thoughts and feedback as to whether or not I could benefit from upgrading to the Ultimate CAI
Old 09-23-2016

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying Jason, however as I mentioned before, another vendor suggested that I wouldn't really notice much or even any improvement at all in airflow and performance by upgrading from my current 98mm Saleen airbox upgrade to the Saleen Ultimate CAI..

In the meantime, I'd be very interested in your thoughts and feedback as to whether or not I could benefit from upgrading to the Ultimate CAI
Honestly, I'm dont want to get into a debate on the matter because my belief is that if you trust the opinions of a shop, you should do that. I am a strong believer that it makes the most sense to stick with one shop to be your "go to" shop and follow their guidance. All too often people bounce around calling multiple shops asking their opinions on parts (they never intend on buying from them as a side note), and depending on the shop, some sell primarily for profit, some sell for the passion of being apart of building bad a$$ Mustangs and the "Mustang life" aspect of it. So with those two different types of businesses, your answers can be honest or biased to profit.

I dont think that is the situation with your CAI question, but I would just like people to have the faith in the businesses their giving their money too. Just my .02, and im sure thats all its worth...

Last edited by Jason @ 281m; 09-23-2016 at 09:19 PM. Reason: stupid typo's
Old 09-23-2016

Quote:
Honestly, I'm dont want to get into a debate on the matter because my belief is that if you trust the opinions of a shop, you should do that. I am a strong believer that it makes the most sense to stick with one shop to be your "go to" shop and follow their guidance. All too often people bounce around calling multiple shops asking their opinions on parts (they never intend on buying from them as a side note), and depending on the shop, some sell primarily for profit, some sell for the passion of being apart of building bad a$$ Mustangs and the "Mustang life" aspect of it. So with those two different types of businesses, your answers can be honest or biased to profit.

I dont think that is the situation with your CAI question, but I would just like people to have the faith in the businesses their giving their money too. Just my .02, and im sure thats all its worth...
In all honesty Jason, I purchased only one product from the other shop in question and that was a 3.6 pulley for my Saleen blower.. Even if I wanted to purchase the Saleen Ultimate CAI from that shop, they don't sell Saleen products anymore and haven't for quite a few years anyhow, therefore they have nothing to be biased about nor anything to be gained from as far as profit or lack of is concerned..

As for sticking with one shop is concerned, I am also one of your customers who purchased my Saleen 98mm airbox upgrade kit from you a couple of years ago following a lengthy phone conversation between us in which we discussed the cons of another vendor's CAI design and materials in which they used..

Therefore I took your advice and went ahead and purchased the 98mm Saleen airbox upgrade from you, as that was pretty much the only other option I had at the time that would fit properly with a Saleen VI blower..

If on the other hand, the Saleen Ultimate CAI would had been available 2 years ago ? I would had purchased the Ultimate CAI instead, however there were none to be found during that time..

With that being said, if I didn't have a sincere interest nor desire about the Saleen Ultimate CAI, I wouldn't bother wasting my time nor anyone else's for that matter in seeking their feedback and opinions in the first place..

However if you still feel that by responding to this post would provoke a debate ? You can always reply via PM or just let me know if you prefer that I just call you instead..

-Rocky