The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-06-2011
SOEC Member

Default Spark Plugs: Brisk vs HTO?

I was talked out a set of HTO's for a set of Brisk plugs. The Company rep says that they have had problems with the HTO's coming apart in S/C applications.

Is this true? They said it has something to do with the heads on the 4.6 L...

Did I just get duped?

THe nice thing about the Brisk's are that I can gap them myself using a normal gapping tool where the HTO's require that special gapping tool.

I finally pulled my car out of storage on Friday...yea!!!
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 03-06-2011
SOEC Member

because the 08 and up uses different threading on plug I used the FR ones gapped to .030. I also added the MSD ignition coil blaster packs and wow I was suprised it woke it up a bit! I didn't expesct plugs and coils to have that much impact. When do you return to the states?
Old 03-06-2011
SOEC Member

Right now I am looking for a job. Worse case, 1 Jul I will no longer be in the Army and we will live with my parents until I find something but I'm sure I'll find something.
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 03-06-2011
SOEC Member

Congrats and thanks for your service! Did you install your driveshaft yourself? Easy to do?
Old 03-06-2011
SOEC Member

Pretty easy install but had to get another shifter, Saleen's short throw hit on the DS and had to get an adj rear upper control arm because the one piece threw off the pinion angle (lowered cars) which caused a vibration above 100 mph.
#06-409
Old 03-07-2011
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I am running Autolite HTO gapped. I had an issue where i ran a mix of 100oct and 91oct and i had some misfire issues and pulled the plugs to find that one of the autolites was busted at the electrode, the metal actually broke off so i installed a new set of gapped autolites. I am thinking about pulling them out soon and going with a set of the brisk 3VR12S plugs and having the pregapped by Brenspeed at .032 and going with the MSD blaster coils.. I think the brisk looks like a nice alternative to the HTO plugs and is also 2 steps colder so might work out better..
Old 03-07-2011
SOEC Member

Seems like it a choice between tuners...JDM has recommended HTO and Brenspeed has recommended the Brisk. I have the HTO plugs with 30,000+ miles. There are lots of guys that like the Brisk plugs (many are Brenspeed customers). I have just never tried them.
Old 03-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggywigton View Post
I was talked out a set of HTO's for a set of Brisk plugs. The Company rep says that they have had problems with the HTO's coming apart in S/C applications.

Is this true? They said it has something to do with the heads on the 4.6 L...

Did I just get duped?

THe nice thing about the Brisk's are that I can gap them myself using a normal gapping tool where the HTO's require that special gapping tool.

I finally pulled my car out of storage on Friday...yea!!!
wiggywigton,

I am about to change the plugs...How are the Brisk in your opinion?
I am N/A. Like you, it is either Autolites (which I heard are 2 piece??) or the Brisk (which are one piece)Did you have any issues with removing the notorious TSB plugs breaking?
I hope you are enjoying the Saleen again..Still snow and salt here!
Old 03-28-2011
SOEC Member

was not aware that from a certain point of 08' up the cylinder head changed somehow and you have to use the FR ones. (different size thread). Just in case it applies to anyone
Old 03-28-2011

I can only say we've had great sucess with the HTO's for many years. I met the Brisk rep two years ago at SEMA as he was passing out fliers - struck me odd that they would be passing out fliers in the parking lot but hey who knows.

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 03-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ 281m View Post
I can only say we've had great sucess with the HTO's for many years. I met the Brisk rep two years ago at SEMA as he was passing out fliers - struck me odd that they would be passing out fliers in the parking lot but hey who knows.
Thx Jason!
These ones don't break off though? For N/A what is the gap at and do they come pre gapped or do I have to get the special gapping tool too?
cheers!
Old 03-29-2011
SOEC Member

I've been so busy I haven't put them in yet. Hopefully tomorrow. I'll report back. Gapping them to .032...
#06-409
Old 04-03-2011
SOEC Member

Got them all installed.
Fired it up and notice a little surge below 2500 rpms. Did a couple of pulls and my AFR went from 11.7 to 11.3. I added 2 more degrees of global spark. Back up to 11.7 WOT. Still a little surge at the bottom. I'm going to add 1 more degree at the lower rpm. There is noticeable more throttle response...
I'll report back in about a week, to see if it effected fuel economy...
#06-409
Old 04-03-2011
Account with Invalid Email

Please let me know how that affected fuel economy, since my tune I'm getting 13/18 and I'm looking for any way to make it better.
Old 04-13-2011
SOEC Member

Reporting back...
Fuel economy is a little better. The car now reads 15.1 average MPG. I was ave about 14.8.
I now have a new surge issue starting at 1500 rpm. It wasn't there before, at least I didn't feel it. The company I bought them from says that the new plugs might have brought out a issue that the old plugs were hiding. They think it is a vacuum leak. I haven't been able to find one yet.
The only thing I can this that might be causing it is the separator. I've got to make it to ATU to get a new hose and see it that is the problem. I've dats logged it and can see the surge but I am not sure what is causing it.
#06-409