The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-12-2014
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: Exhaust sound? - High-flow cats with h-pipe

I have a stock Saleen S281 SC....with stock exhaust h-pipe...I wounded more sound so I swapped the mid H-pipe with an X-pipe...
the result was disappionting...I wanted more sound but it was opposite...seems more quite and I think I lost power...(less high end torque)
I think I prefer the H-pipe sound...seems more deeper with more growl ...
so I was thinking to get Hi-flow cats with h-pipe.. Will this give me more sound than the stock?
thinking of buying this:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/magnaflow...FYVDMgodJCsAoQ
let know your thoughts, opinions, advice...!
2008 S281 S/C Convertible #12c ("c" stands for Canadian made Saleen version)
Old 08-12-2014

Sorry for the spelling errors!...ugggg.
Old 08-13-2014
SOEC Member

Not sure about that Magnaflow pipe. I've got highflow cats with the stock H pipe now. Didn't care for the x pipe either. It's definitely louder than with the stock cats, more rumble but not overly loud till you put your foot down.

Last edited by tbar; 08-13-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2014

I'm running Ford Racing shorties, an off road H pipe, no cats, and the original Saleen/Borla mufflers. I know everyone is partial to their own cars sound, but all I get is compliments on the sound. With that being said, if you have to pass a smog test, obviously you can't go cat-less. To answer your question, yes, it will give you more sound than stock. Removing the cats will give you lots of "sound" (whether you like the loudness of the car, of course I can't answer). I will say my car is loud. I'd be more than happy to text you a quick clip of the sound of my car. PM me your cell number if you'd like to hear it.
2000 S281 #032, 1 of 1
Old 08-13-2014

I installed Kooks headers and catted x pipe and it sounds great...sounds throaty at low RPM and louder once you get on it....
Old 08-15-2014
SOEC Member

I have hi flow cats and a JBA H pipe (hated the X pipe) and it sounds pretty good but could be better, headers will be going on over the winter months.
08-045 S281 SC, Tuned by Pro-Dyno, 3.2 SC pulley, HT0 plugs, JLT series 3 CAI, vacuum upgrade, Kenne Bell BAP, MGW shifter, JBA catted H pipe, Moroso Oil Catch can, '11 mirrors, MMD hood struts, shorty antenna.

01-001 SC, Tuned by Pro Dyno, 2.8 SC pulley, MoSaleen, CAI, Off road X pipe, Mcleod Super Street clutch, H&R Super Sport springs, shorty antenna.
Old 08-15-2014
SOEC Member

I did some exhaust mods too. It is LOUD, but everyone says it's like a "tuned" sound. I have Kooks LT with their hi-flow catted X, and custom "plumbed" Corsa sports. It sounds amazing, and I have it setup to look exactly like the OEM setup from Saleen. On the Corsa's, we cut the tips off and replaced with turn downs... On the inside of the muffler, we punched holes in the can and welded the center exhaust in-resulting in functional centers as well. With all the loudness, there is absolutely no drone whatsoever.

At idle and low RPMs, it's kind of reserved, but give it some throttle and be prepared for some serious "pipe shock" 😀
Mirror Caps, MRT Hood Struts, JLT Catch Can, Kooks LT Headers & Catted X, JLT Series 3 CAI, Bosch Injectors, HTO Plugs, 3.4 Pulley, KB Boost-A-Pump, SCT X3 Tuned by BRENSPEED, Chicane Brace, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH, White Extreme Splitter & Diffuser, MGW Shifter, Raptor Shift Light, 6K HIDs & LEDs, Stealth Bulbs, Steeda X-Brace, Corsa Sport Mufflers, Whiteline Watts Link & Rear Sway Bar, Slotted Rotors Front & Rear, 281 Grille, Dipstick, & Radiator Cover, GT500 Fan
Old 08-18-2014
SOEC Member

dlford52, any chance you could post some pics of your exhaust set up? Seems pretty straight forward but I would like to see it and hear it if you can do that. I have been wanting to swap mufflers but want to keep the center exit in working order and so far most mufflers don't seem to be a good fit back there.
08-045 S281 SC, Tuned by Pro-Dyno, 3.2 SC pulley, HT0 plugs, JLT series 3 CAI, vacuum upgrade, Kenne Bell BAP, MGW shifter, JBA catted H pipe, Moroso Oil Catch can, '11 mirrors, MMD hood struts, shorty antenna.

01-001 SC, Tuned by Pro Dyno, 2.8 SC pulley, MoSaleen, CAI, Off road X pipe, Mcleod Super Street clutch, H&R Super Sport springs, shorty antenna.
Old 08-19-2014

I'm going to try and post a vid, cross your fingers.

Holmes - Saleen Forum from Tapatalk on Vimeo.

2000 S281 #032, 1 of 1
Old 08-19-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb7144 View Post
dlford52, any chance you could post some pics of your exhaust set up? Seems pretty straight forward but I would like to see it and hear it if you can do that. I have been wanting to swap mufflers but want to keep the center exit in working order and so far most mufflers don't seem to be a good fit back there.

Just snapped a few with my iPhone real quick this morning, so the quality isn't the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mirror Caps, MRT Hood Struts, JLT Catch Can, Kooks LT Headers & Catted X, JLT Series 3 CAI, Bosch Injectors, HTO Plugs, 3.4 Pulley, KB Boost-A-Pump, SCT X3 Tuned by BRENSPEED, Chicane Brace, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH, White Extreme Splitter & Diffuser, MGW Shifter, Raptor Shift Light, 6K HIDs & LEDs, Stealth Bulbs, Steeda X-Brace, Corsa Sport Mufflers, Whiteline Watts Link & Rear Sway Bar, Slotted Rotors Front & Rear, 281 Grille, Dipstick, & Radiator Cover, GT500 Fan
Old 08-19-2014

Smile

Thand everyone for your input! I really appreciate it.
I will look into all of your mods.
Old 08-19-2014
SOEC Member

Thanks for the pics! Please post a sound clip......please!

Old 08-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
I'm going to try and post a vid, cross your fingers.
nice!!! Sounds awesome...I wish mine sounded like that!
Old 08-19-2014

Thanks, I certainly like it.
2000 S281 #032, 1 of 1
Old 08-19-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb7144 View Post
Thanks for the pics! Please post a sound clip......please!

I will try and get a sound clip along with a drive by in the next few days... If my stock block would handle them, twin-screw blower cams would be next. I think it would sound like a real beast then

Old 08-21-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen12c View Post
nice!!! Sounds awesome...I wish mine sounded like that!
While his does sound great 05-09 models don't sound the same, that's why I want to hear the OP's set up.

Old 08-23-2014
SOEC Member

Here is a small sound byte. I didn't realize it, but my daughter missed the start up. I will try and get a better one later.https://vimeo.com/104204310

Old 08-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlford52 View Post
Here is a small sound byte. I didn't realize it, but my daughter missed the start up. I will try and get a better one later.https://vimeo.com/104204310

I like what I hear so far...
Old 08-25-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen12c View Post
I like what I hear so far...

Thanks! Truthfully I was nervous about shelling out the amount of dough I did on the mufflers only to possibly mutilate them, not to mention the risk of screwing up the center exhaust. After 8 hours two tech labor, I was pleased with sound. It is SO loud when I romp on it that I see people looking in their mirrors like where the heck is that NASCAR?

Old 08-27-2014

Post more vids!
Old 08-29-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

An 05-09 isn't going to sound like a 99-04, the 99-04 is a 2V not 3V engine. and the mufflers are mounted more toward the middle of the car so they sound completely different. It's hard to make a 2V car sound bad honestly, my car had an O/R X-Pipe on when I got it and I hated it... Although I'm not a fan of X-Pipes on any mustangs, H-Pipes sound much better, but that's all opinion and you know what they say about those :)
Old 08-29-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlford52 View Post

Car sounds great. Would love to hear more full throttle. You really can't go wrong with Corsas. I'm considering going with electric cut-outs.

06-115 / S281 3V / SuperShaker / AirLift / Zenetti Baron forged / JDM / 3M Liquid Copper Wrap