The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-25-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Help: Intercooler temp gauge not working & more...

So after 3 hours of reading - I get it - the supercharger cooling pumps are not the most reliable. Now I know why when I bought the car and got it home the intercooler pump had the ground wire detached. I have since removed it - I am pretty sure it is busted. But my question is this

What would cause the h2o temp gauge in the cabin (the two bubble gauges) to not register or even move a little. Is it A) because the cooling pump was disconnected and there was not cooling flowing into the system or B) there is probably a temp sensor out some where. if so where ? I have heard its within the manifold - can you please provide a part number.

If the pump is bad - (which i am think, is it just easier to get a new aftermarket one? if so which? The car was not restored well at all. I just got through replacing the front struts, camber plates, and adding the ABS conrol module delete - since I read all the hassles it causes. Im about to button her up - but still need to order the from facia and have it painted.

The super charger works fine -to a degree....once it gets warmed up then it will not go above 3500 RPMs - and starts sputtering and cutting power. But from a fresh start I can get 1 to 3 good pulls before it starts this behavior.

Any insight would be great appreciated.

O and its on a 99 Saleen s281 GT base.
Old 03-26-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

The gauge will still work if there is no flow,so you have a sending unit out or ground/power issue. You can easily test your pump by taking side cover off and powering up the pump to see if impeller spins. The sensor should be the one in bottom of reservoir.
Old 03-27-2017

Before you start mucking around with anything else, answer me one question... If you run 2 jumper wires from the battery to the pump, does the pump work? If no, get another pump, install it and report back... If yes, the problem is not the pump, I can try to walk you through the rest of the wiring. Send me a PM and I can send you my phone number...
Old 03-31-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeplisskin View Post
The gauge will still work if there is no flow,so you have a sending unit out or ground/power issue. You can easily test your pump by taking side cover off and powering up the pump to see if impeller spins. The sensor should be the one in bottom of reservoir.
sorry for the delay - been putting her back together -- so i hooked up the pump to a 12v .. and primed it .. and it works .. well it sounds like its working. I can say with certainty that the ground was off when it was on the car. So is that it? Im thinking I need to check the coolant sensor ... well the "H20 temp" sensor -- and you say thats at the bottom of the reservior? .. I think i see it in the Saleen gauge instructions - but its more around the bottom of the intake area .... o well .. i guess we shall see.

Thanks for the help though :) ill let everyone know how it turns out - still need to order a new front clip from Saleen ... and have it painted....
Old 04-02-2017

Yes it can be that simple as the ground wire. The sensor at the bottom front of intake is the air temp sensor. The one in the front right of intake is for engine temp gauge so that leaves the sensor in bottom of reservoir as the only other temp sensor. Logically it would be for dash gauge. Once my car is together should be next weekend I'll unplug it to verify.
Old 04-24-2017

Get it working yet?
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme
Old 05-07-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

UPDATE:: I tested the inter-cooler pump by hooking it up to a 12 V battery - it works !! :) AND after finding the temp sensor on the bottom of the tank and removing it, it was heavily corroded AND the lead was broken -so it wasn't even hooked up!. Still piecing her back together but the end is in site.

My main question: I did the ABS control module delete so I am now all hydraulic. What do people do with the 16 cord ABS sensor dongle? I took it a step further and actually traced back all the lines that were involved .TO A POINT .. the guy who totally screwed this car up before I bought it has used so many white push pins, electrical tap, cracking black wrapping its very hard to get around. My goal is to drop the radiator in tomorrow and try for a start. ..

So where do those wires that are no longer being used go? I guess I should keep looking for the right schematic. But if anyone has done the same thing or knows of some one who has and what they did - as in just cut the wires or flat out removed them all from the system it would help out alot. Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2018

Default H2O Temp gauge not working

Hey all, sort of related. Worked on a little project today. Had a small coolant leak from the lower Y radiator hose, which I believe was just the clamp not tight enough where it connects to the stock GT reservoir. Any how, replaced my stock oe reseviour, the Ford one with a new one. So, I figured might as well look at the sending unit for the H2O gauge that hasn't worked in 2 years :( In order to check the sending unit, you don't even have to drain your coolant system. All I did was move the GT reservoir out of the way by removing the 3 nuts, remove the upper radiator cover (shroud) thing. Unbolt the Saleen intercooler reservoir and tilt it up. Get a correct size wrench and remove the nut holding the power wire in place. Tip of the Sender. All I did was use some WD40 sprayed some in there and with a rag, clean up some of the rust off sender and washers. The wires looked good still...checked my ground which should be on the radiator support. That was good to go.

Long story short...all I did was clean the connection point on the sender, washers and nut, tightened back up. Put everything back together and now my H2O gauge works like a charm. Got lucky where I did not have to replace the sender which would have been a little more work.