The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-22-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather Kit?

I just recently added the Bob's oil catch can on my 2006 GT that also includes the Saleen VI S/C with 3.6 pulley at between 7.0-8.0 psi boost at WOT..

So far I've been very pleased with the Bob's can and haven't noticed any oily liquid at the PCV connectors at the intake, but rather just a slight oil film.. My concern however is due to increased crankcase pressure from running a supercharger, if I should also consider running a breather in order to reduce crankcase pressure during WOT..

At any rate, I came across the CFM billet valve cover breather that replaces just the oil filler cap and from my understanding it includes a one way baffled check ball valve which is supposedly fully compatible with the factory PCV system that stays completely closed during normal driving conditions while in vacuum and once your in boost at WOT, the valve then opens to relieve unwanted crankcase pressure..

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any feedback from anyone who may be familiar with this breather kit and whatever the pro's and con's may happen to be as well..

In the meantime, thanks in advance...

Rocky
Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Borla ATAK mufflers - Pypes cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires 275/40/18" square - GT500 strut mounts - Hurst short throw shifter - CFM billet oil cap breather - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Eibach camber bolts - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Koni adj sport struts/shocks - BMR poly adj panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm stock airbox - Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune.
Old 10-25-2015
SOEC Member

Do you have any underhood pics showing how you mounted the Bob's catch can? I want to get one, but I'm not sure about the install. Thanks

06-115 / S281 3V / SuperShaker / AirLift / Zenetti Baron forged / JDM / 3M Liquid Copper Wrap
Old 10-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
Do you have any underhood pics showing how you mounted the Bob's catch can? I want to get one, but I'm not sure about the install. Thanks
You can either mount the Bob's can at the strut tower or at the firewall.. I chose to mount mine at the firewall..

You'll notice right beside the cowl cover a small metal mounting tab with a wiring harness attached.. Pull the wiring harness off the tab and attach the Bob's can bracket there..

Here's my under hood pics..

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0529.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	680.8 KB
ID:	17896

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0530.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	557.4 KB
ID:	17897
Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Borla ATAK mufflers - Pypes cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires 275/40/18" square - GT500 strut mounts - Hurst short throw shifter - CFM billet oil cap breather - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Eibach camber bolts - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Koni adj sport struts/shocks - BMR poly adj panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm stock airbox - Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune.
Old 11-06-2015
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TorchRedGT View Post
You can either mount the Bob's can at the strut tower or at the firewall.. I chose to mount mine at the firewall..

You'll notice right beside the cowl cover a small metal mounting tab with a wiring harness attached.. Pull the wiring harness off the tab and attach the Bob's can bracket there..

Here's my under hood pics..
Looks great. Thanks for posting pics. Do you have a hard time draining the can in that location?

06-115 / S281 3V / SuperShaker / AirLift / Zenetti Baron forged / JDM / 3M Liquid Copper Wrap
Old 11-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
Looks great. Thanks for posting pics. Do you have a hard time draining the can in that location?
Don't have a hard time at all.. IMO mounting at the firewall location has the most space over mounting off the strut tower.. Plus the longer run of hose helps keep crankcase vapor cooler which in turn prevents crankcase vapors from turning into liquid and getting past your PCV connectors at the intake tract..

In the meantime, thanks for the compliments on the pics
Old 01-19-2016

So out of 483 views ! There isn't a single person on this forum who has any knowledge as to whether or not the oil cap breather posted in this thread is capable of relieving crankcase pressure during WOT/boost, in which I also mentioned includes an integrated one way check ball valve..

Therefore not even a single person is willing to chime in with at least an opinion regarding it's design concept, one way or the other
Old 01-19-2016
SOEC Member

try the s197 mustang forum for your answer
Old 01-19-2016
SOEC Member

Strictly as an opinion, it would appear that it would help with the unwanted pressure at WOT. I sometimes am skeptical of such claims as parts like this can be made for the owner, not the car. Looks good, sounds good, sells good but doesn't work is what I'm saying. No clue on this specific part. I'm just a sceptic. I would be interested in knowing how well it works if you bite the bullet though.
Old 01-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliioct14 View Post
try the s197 mustang forum for your answer
I posted the very same thread on they're forum.. However my original intention was to seek opinions from those who are members of this forum and also from those in the tuning industry as well.. Which was the purpose for starting up this thread nearly 3 months ago in the first place !
Old 01-19-2016
SOEC Member

Right On - I am curious over all the hubbub on the oil separators - I may be seriously old school but a breather of any type should allow the pressure to vent thru it correct . I have seen systems upwards of $500 . doesn't the standard factory system do the trick - what does Ford say about all these system ???
Old 01-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehead View Post
Strictly as an opinion, it would appear that it would help with the unwanted pressure at WOT. I sometimes am skeptical of such claims as parts like this can be made for the owner, not the car. Looks good, sounds good, sells good but doesn't work is what I'm saying. No clue on this specific part. I'm just a sceptic. I would be interested in knowing how well it works if you bite the bullet though.
I've posted some pics and also the link from the vendor.. Hopefully you'll find them as helpful.. In the meantime, I also thank you for taking the time for responding..http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...m#.Vp405YgrKCU
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2016
SOEC Member

I like that look rather then all the hoses etc- that is old school in my book. Hope it works. What happens at WOT that is a concern - curious
Old 01-19-2016

Quote:
Right On - I am curious over all the hubbub on the oil separators - I may be seriously old school but a breather of any type should allow the pressure to vent thru it correct . I have seen systems upwards of $500 . doesn't the standard factory system do the trick - what does Ford say about all these system ???
You can purchase a decent oil separator for $114.00 from Bob's autosports.. As for the factory system ? it's okay for naturally aspirated applications, but when it comes to running Forced Induction.. You end up getting excess crankcase oil into the intake manifold due from increased crankcase/cylinder pressure..

The purpose of the oil separator is to prevent crankcase oil from reaching the intake manifold, however when running at boost/WOT, the factory PCV system becomes inactive once crankcase pressure becomes greater than manifold pressure (vacuum)

When it comes to using breather filters alone.. The disadvantages are having to disable the factory PCV system altogether in order to be effective which requires uninstalling the valve cover on all 3 valve motors and then having to use a small cutting tool to cut open the PCV housing tube in order to remove the PCV valve itself..

This was not something I was not willing to go through and wanted to find another way to vent the crankcase without having to disable the factory PCV system..

So I then looked into the CFM oil cap breather which includes an integrated one way check ball valve that's designed to properly vent the crankcase without having to disable the factory PCV system..

How it works is, when intake vacuum isn't able to pull crankcase oil from the crankcase during boosted/WOT conditions, the check valve on the oil cap breather opens to vent the crankcase to relieve the pressure, but whenever the factory PCV system is active during normal driving conditions, the check valve remains closed..

Anyway that's pretty much the best way I can describe how it's supposed to function.. So in the meantime, I hope you'll find the info I provided as a bit more helpful..
Old 01-19-2016
Saleen Forums Participant

Default vented breather

I ran this style breather on my 89 mustang 5.0 with a vortech supercharger. It worked well to relieve presure build up at WOT. It was common use with blowers, but the 5.0 valve covers had a return line to the throttlebody to suck up the pressure. We rerouted this line either to a catch can or back to the air breather. I ran a braided line to my air breather with no oil buildup as the breather releases the presure and valve cover has a baffle to reduce oil splash.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0022.JPG  

IMGP1261.JPG  

Old 01-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff beaudry View Post
I ran this style breather on my 89 mustang 5.0 with a vortech supercharger. It worked well to relieve presure build up at WOT. It was common use with blowers, but the 5.0 valve covers had a return line to the throttlebody to suck up the pressure. We rerouted this line either to a catch can or back to the air breather. I ran a braided line to my air breather with no oil buildup as the breather releases the presure and valve cover has a baffle to reduce oil splash.
Unfortunately the S197 3 valves don't have return lines on their valve/cam covers to suck up the pressure.. So the only options are to disable the factory PCV altogether by uninstalling the valve cover and then require removing the PCV valve by taking a small cutting tool to cut into the PCV housing tube on the underneath of the valve cover just in order to remove the valve.. Once that's done, then you cap off the intake and vacuum lines and attach breather filters on each valve cover..

However I wasn't willing to go through all that hassle just in order to run breather filters, so my only other option was to use a catch can along with the oil cap breather I mentioned that also includes the integrated one way check valve and hope that it works for relieving crankcase pressure under WOT

Being as you have the 302 push rod engine in your 89 Mustang.. You're spared from having to go through all that crap
Old 01-19-2016

Quote:
I like that look rather then all the hoses etc- that is old school in my book. Hope it works. What happens at WOT that is a concern - curious
Take a look at the images at the beginning of this thread.. You'll still notice the factory PCV hoses are all functional and attached along with the oil separator hoses..
Old 01-19-2016

Quote:
Jeff ! I think that perhaps I may had misunderstood part of your post about the return line running from your valve covers to the throttle body and also about re-routing the line to a catch can..

In the meantime, let me know either way about this... Rocky
Old 01-20-2016
Saleen Forums Participant

No problem Rocky, The stock tubing routes the crank case gasses back into the intake instead of into the air strictly for emissions purposes. The rerouting of this vaccum line to the throttle body from the valve cover was to keep the air intake track clean by eliminate the oil been forced through the air intake system under boosted pressure through this stock tubing. Releasing some of the pressure through a breather in the valve cover with a one way valve should help, the one way valve setup should work with the pvc setup as it is still metered air. There is alot of discussion on breathers, catch cans, metered air and pvc valve setup for boosted motors on another forum (correl.net). just type in: (valve cover breathers) in the search box under the : Power Adder Forums > Superchargers
Good hunting!
Old 01-20-2016

Quote:
No problem Rocky, The stock tubing routes the crank case gasses back into the intake instead of into the air strictly for emissions purposes. The rerouting of this vaccum line to the throttle body from the valve cover was to keep the air intake track clean by eliminate the oil been forced through the air intake system under boosted pressure through this stock tubing. Releasing some of the pressure through a breather in the valve cover with a one way valve should help, the one way valve setup should work with the pvc setup as it is still metered air. There is alot of discussion on breathers, catch cans, metered air and pvc valve setup for boosted motors on another forum (correl.net). just type in: (valve cover breathers) in the search box under the : Power Adder Forums > Superchargers
Good hunting!
Hey there Jeff ! Just wanted to follow up by letting you know that I followed your advice about the discussions over on corral.net.. I found them very interesting so I decided to sign up today and also submitted the CFM breather thread on there as well.. Hopefully I'll get some responses over there sometime soon..

In the meantime, thanks once again..

-Rocky