The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-25-2018
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Help: Hard starting when ignition is hot - S281 SC

Hi Saleen experts!

My brand new engine works fin on my S281 SC but... I meet difficulties to start the car when hot. I am obliged to push throttle to start.
My engine has 39 lbs injectors and 90 MAF housing with custom tune.
Is ti normal? I don't think so...

Thank YOU!!!
Old 03-25-2018

Try Google: ( starter heat soak symptoms) Just saying!
Old 03-26-2018

Thank you, Jeff.
Considering the car is not all original, I try m'y chance with experts that Google isn't!
Old 03-28-2018
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

It sounds like you have a tune issue. There are a bunch of fuel maps in the tune specifically for engine cranking and the first minute or so of engine start up. There are also cold cranking fuel maps and hot cranking fuel maps. In short... You should never have to touch the gas pedal while starting your fuel injected mustang.

I'd suggest talking to a reputable tuner like JDM Engineering in NJ.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2018

Thank you 2007-52.
It's JDM that did the tuning. I will and them.
I am in France, may be there is a question of octane too.
Old 03-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHE View Post
Thank you 2007-52.
It's JDM that did the tuning. I will and them.
I am in France, may be there is a question of octane too.
I'm skeptical of octane being an issue... It would have to be real low.. Like 75 (which I can't imagine exists anywhere) ... Or real high.. Like 110 or more...

Super high octane could cause you problems with starting due to it having inherent resistance to detonation. But this could also be fixed in the timing tables of the tune.

I would be more concerned about the amount of ethanol in the fuel in France. Ethanol requires a much richer A/F ratio than gasoline. I believe stoichiometric is 9:1 for ethanol... So the more ethanol you add to gasoline the richer the A/F mix needs to be. The US typically runs no more than 10% ethanol at most gas stations and a 14.5:1 A/F ratio is stoichiometric rather than 14.7:1 for pure gasoline.

What do you have in France? 93 octane? What percentage of ethanol? When you call JDM I would have that information handy.

Old 04-01-2018

So, JDM team suggest to adjust the throttle position sensor voltage. I have seen in a tuto on youtube that it must ne different on supercharged car. I will try as soon as I can.
Will tell you then.
And to answer the previous question, we have 98 octane here in France.
Old 04-01-2018

On the older fox body cars I think you had to unplug the sensor and manually adjust the air idle screw until the engine idled at about 600-700 RPM's. Then you plugged in the sensor and loosened one of the screws while probing the wires with a volt meter and gently rotating the sensor and watching the voltage. There was only maybe 1mm of total movement on the old cars but that was enough to tweak the voltage. I think it was supposed to be set at somewhere between .85 and 1.00 volt ... But I'm sure that JDM can give you the recommended voltage, or you can find it on the internet.

While you are in there make sure the throttle blade and throttle body are clean since we are messing with idle and starting issues a good cleaning is in order.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

Old 04-01-2018

I found this on another forum about TPS voltage

NOTE: Two types of TPS are used on EEC-IV system. "Level C" Type is adjustable and "Level D/RD" type is nonadjustable. Throttle position sensors without slotted mounting holes are not adjustable. If voltage reading on nonadjustable TPS is not .9-1.1 volts at idle, and greater than 4 volts at wide open throttle, replace throttle position sensor.

Old 04-02-2018

Thank you, 2007-52.
Yes, I have seen on Internet that 1 volt is better for supercharged cars. I will ask JDM to make sure.
I will tell you asap if that works...