The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 05-18-2009
SOEC Member

Default Q: Upgrade heat exchanger? - 2004 S281 SC

I have an 04 s281 s/c and looking to upgrade the heat exchanger and was wondering if anyone makes a direct bolt on and what brand other people are using also does any one know if the 04 came with the upgraded intercooler?
Old 05-19-2009
SOEC Member

Yep. Lightning Force Performance has a direct bolt on replacement for the stock heat exchanger. You have to line it up and drill a few holes....but it's not too bad. I installed it myself (which is saying something because I'm not that mechanically inclined and there were no instructions).

Just make sure to ask them for the saleen heat exchanger (as opposed to the cobra one). I don't think it's listed on their website anymore...but you can call and ask for it.

Here's stock (black) compared to the LFP one (silver):

They also make an intercooler expansion tank if you're interested.

Regarding your other question...the 04 intercooler can always stand to be upgraded. Check out performance autosport's writeup of installing the Chicane Intercooler on an '04.

http://www.performanceautosport.com/detail.asp?car=5878

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 05-19-2009
SOEC Member

Thanks for the info how much did the temp drop with the H/E? Was changing the fans over easy and is that were they mount like in the pic? Do you also have the intercooler expansion tank on your car if so is there any modification needed to be done to install it?

04 Saleen S/C Speedster
390RWHP 434RWTQ 14LBS Of Boost

JDM Engineering Dyno Tune
99-04 Saleen Air Kit (7" filter)
90MM Mass Air
42LB Injectors
06 Saleen Extreme pulley Size 2.875
MoSaleen Idler pulley
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
12% Overdrive Crank pulley (6 rib)
Magnaflow X pipe With Hi Flow Cats
05 Mustang Fuel Pump
Water Pump Pulley

Last edited by countum; 05-19-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I didn't install the expansion tank, but i did the H/E. I didn't see a noticable difference in temps. But water wetter brought it down about +5 deg and it does cool off a little faster. One thing that i have noticed is that the water in the tank is cooler to the touch. What i mean by that is; The gauge may say 170 deg, but it certainly isnt. That could mean that the I/C isnt pulling heat out like it should. It could also mean the temp sensor is in a bad spot. I'd say the I/C for sure because it loses power when it's hot.

Like alot of other people, chasing the heat issues, i started with the H/E and now am doing the I/C. It cant hurt to do the upgrade, but why if you dont have to. You probably wont be happy until you swap the intercooler, so why not start there?

Nice numbers! It would be interesting to see what the I/C does for you on the dyno.
Scott
Tunable induction CAI|2.8 pulley|39# Injectors|05 Mustang GT pump|90mm MAF|75MM BBK-TB|Mosaleen idler|MAC Long tube headers|Mac Off road X|LFP-H/E and tank|Chicane I/C|5gpm pump|373 FRPP gears|NT555R 305/35ZR1|MGW shifter|FRPP Alum driveshaft|N2MB two step
86-0087
03-269 S281SC
92 LX coupe
92 LX convertible
Old 05-20-2009
SOEC Member

I'm not sure how much the temps dropped because I still haven't gotten the new temperature sensor in. One of the negatives about installing the LFP supertank is that you lose your intercooler H2O gauge (there's no temp sensor in the supertank. So you just cap the wire and keep it in the engine.

I had a custom solution done where they cut a hole in the bottom of the tank and welded in a piece with threads. So I can install a temperature sensor in it and have my gauge again. Just waiting for the part to come in.

Here's the supertank (the black box on the bottom left....I had mine powdercoated). If you just upgrade to the heat exchanger you might not notice that much difference because you're still moving the same amount of coolant. The expanded supertank will hold more coolant to cycle through the system and helps to keep temps down (I heard 10 degrees cooler for the Heat Exchanger + expansion tank vs like 30 for the chicane intercooler). You can also pack ice in it if you ever go to the track.

As an aside...you sure you're not running too much boost there, countum? 14psi seems pretty high on a stock saleen blower.

PS-I mounted the fans around the same place they were mounted on the stock heat exchanger. Just matched it up.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 05-21-2009
SOEC Member

JDM said it was fine its around 10LBS of boost upto 4700rpms then it keeps climbing up to 14LBS till i hit around 5900rpms he told me im at the max right now.Thanks for the info

Coming Soon

Comp Cams
Chicane Intercooler
LFP Heat Exchanger&Supertank Reservior
LFP Radiator
JBA Shorty Header
Port&Polish Supercharger&Plenum

Last edited by countum; 05-21-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2016

Do the LFP units have the holes already drilled in the heat exchanger now for the fans? Or do they still require drilling?
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme
Old 11-15-2016

Ox you're digging up all the old threads eh? Doubt these peeps are around anymore. I'll check my cooler for the holes.
Old 11-16-2016

No holes drill your own.