The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-02-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Help: SuperShaker, loss of Power/Hesitation when cold

Hey guys. I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue with my 2007 Saleen Supershaker set up.

My car has a really bad hesitation/loss of power issue that occurs when the car is first warming up. The car starts great and everything seems great and it even drives well for the first minute or so, and then it starts hesitating badly until the engine warms up for another 3-4 minutes and everything seems fine. Note that if I shut the car off and go to drive it again within a few hours, there are no problems what so ever. This only happens when the motor cools down completely. I'm guessing it has issues when it switches to closed loop and the engine is cold.

Fuel pressure looks good and is up around 40psi all the time.

I have replaced both upstream oxygen sensors (I was getting a O2 slow to respond about once a year and thought it might fix it, it didn't).

The vacuum gauge seems to indicate that the throttle body is opening up when I press the throttle and everything is cold when the hesitation occurs. Vacuum moves towards zero when I press the throttle.

Spark plugs were replaced last year with the same type of colder plugs that were in before.

MAF has been cleaned and did not help. Coolant temperature as shown by the OBD-II data looks reasonable, although Intake Air Temp shows hotter than I'd expect when the car has been sitting all day (i.e. 90 deg outside, coolant shows 88 deg, IAT shows 105).

Any ideas?
Old 08-02-2016
SOEC Member

Is your car running the stock tune?
Old 08-02-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SaleenExtreme View Post
Is your car running the stock tune?
No, it is running a 93 octane tune for a 3.6 pulley. I have a 91 octane tune I could also try just to see, but it is also not the stock Saleen tune due to the use of a 3.6 pulley instead of stock 4.0.
Old 08-02-2016
SOEC Member

My 2 cents thinks it is your tune. What your describing, is exactly what occurred to me when I first got my Saleen. I took it to a tuner in Long Beach and picked up the car when the engine was warm and there were zero issues. When I took the car out the following week, the car would cut out unless I fully let it warm up. I found another tuner who corrected the issue.
Old 08-03-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SaleenExtreme View Post
My 2 cents thinks it is your tune. What your describing, is exactly what occurred to me when I first got my Saleen. I took it to a tuner in Long Beach and picked up the car when the engine was warm and there were zero issues. When I took the car out the following week, the car would cut out unless I fully let it warm up. I found another tuner who corrected the issue.
I haven't had this problem until recently and I've been running this same tune for years. Although I have to admit the hesitation is getting worse.

I've started to try datalogging to see if I can spot anything, but I must admit that I'm not sure what exactly I am looking at in the data. Does anyone know of any online guides that gives hints as to what I'm looking at in the data from my SCT X3 and what it means?
Old 08-12-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

For anyone else who runs into this, I was told that on these cars with the Saleen supercharger that hesitation can be caused by either spark plugs, dirty throttle body, or problems with the bypass actuator.

Spark plugs are not even a year old, so they are good. The bypass actuator seems to be working correctly when I test it manually. So I took everything off so I could remove the throttle body and cleaned it really well. The car runs much better now, although it still does hesitate a little bit. Next time I may try to take the intake plate off and just get in there and clean whatever I can reach.

I hope this helps someone else!
Old 11-22-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay07 View Post
For anyone else who runs into this, I was told that on these cars with the Saleen supercharger that hesitation can be caused by either spark plugs, dirty throttle body, or problems with the bypass actuator.

Spark plugs are not even a year old, so they are good. The bypass actuator seems to be working correctly when I test it manually. So I took everything off so I could remove the throttle body and cleaned it really well. The car runs much better now, although it still does hesitate a little bit. Next time I may try to take the intake plate off and just get in there and clean whatever I can reach.

I hope this helps someone else!
Did you get any resolution on this. Mine does exactally what you describe. I have cams that are going in thursday and vmp doing the tune so hopefully that issue will be resolved in the tune. Just wondering if you found another culprit.
Old 11-22-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiger89 View Post
Did you get any resolution on this. Mine does exactally what you describe. I have cams that are going in thursday and vmp doing the tune so hopefully that issue will be resolved in the tune. Just wondering if you found another culprit.
Nope, just cleaning the throttle body very thoroughly. Here is a video with some explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxf9mQZ7nDE
Old 11-22-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Nope, just cleaning the throttle body very thoroughly. Here is a video with some explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxf9mQZ7nDE
Maybe catch cans are next.
Old 11-22-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Maybe catch cans are next.
I do have a catch can. It's amazing how fast it fills up.
Old 11-22-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
I do have a catch can. It's amazing how fast it fills up.
Have you noticed any long term advantages with the tb staying clean?
Old 11-22-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Have you noticed any long term advantages with the tb staying clean?
With the catch can? Nope, not regarding keeping the throttle body clean.

The catch can catches oil vapor before it goes into the intake manifold, but it goes in after the throttle body (driver's side). So it has nothing to do with that.

The passenger side goes into the intake before the throttle body but I'm not really aware of anyone putting a catch can on it. I'm not sure that would help.