The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-12-2013
SOEC Member

Default Today at the Mojave mile

We went to the Mojave mile with the folks at B and D racing today. This event is held at an airplane bone yard where you are running wide open on a airport runway for one mile or a mile and a half your choice.
The main cars were Mustangs Vettes Vipers one Rousch and no Saleens. The fastest car was a Ford gt doing the mile at 212 mph.
We will roundup a few Saleens for the next event.
Old 10-18-2013
SOEC Member

Sounds awesome...better get hood pins!!!

06-115 / S281 3V / SuperShaker / AirLift / Zenetti Baron forged / JDM / 3M Liquid Copper Wrap
Old 10-18-2013
SOEC Member

You got that right, Hood pins are a must. There was a bike that did 247 MPH absolutely insane.
Old 10-19-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SaleenExtreme View Post
You got that right, Hood pins are a must. There was a bike that did 247 MPH absolutely insane.
Haha these guys on their crotch rockets really are crazy. In a related story, I was cruising through the Pocono mountains here in PA last weekend with the top down. At one straight section of road I was cruising in excess of 70 when a guy on a bike passed me pulling a wheelie. That was so cool.

06-115 / S281 3V / SuperShaker / AirLift / Zenetti Baron forged / JDM / 3M Liquid Copper Wrap
Old 10-19-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
I don't have any Hood Pins! At what speed do you really need them?
Old 10-19-2013
SOEC Member

I've heard some say, at 130 you can see the corners of the hood start lifting. You would not want the hood latch to let go, that would be ugly. I know we will be going over 150 in the mile. The mile and half run, i'm not sure what the car will do. I do know I would not go that fast without hood pins on each corner.
Old 10-19-2013
SOEC Member

I've had mine up to 165 on the autobahn. I would set my cruise control to 120 and enjoy the view...
But I notice that my hood is now slightly bowed due to all my trips at speed for extended periods.
My recommendation is better safe than sorry. Anything over 90 the hood starts to lift. I love my wms pins...
I miss Germany...
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 10-20-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggywigton View Post
I've had mine up to 165 on the autobahn. I would set my cruise control to 120 and enjoy the view...
But I notice that my hood is now slightly bowed due to all my trips at speed for extended periods.
My recommendation is better safe than sorry. Anything over 90 the hood starts to lift. I love my wms pins...
I miss Germany...
Dayum Wiggy I am so jealous. The only time that I was on the autobahn was in a tour bus doing about 60 . You are right though, my hood starts to lift around 90. I have the stock Mustang hood with the Supershaker hole cut in. I bought the Aerocatch hood pins but my body man is still trying to figure out how to install them.

Old 10-20-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
I've heard some say, at 130 you can see the corners of the hood start lifting. You would not want the hood latch to let go, that would be ugly. I know we will be going over 150 in the mile. The mile and half run, i'm not sure what the car will do. I do know I would not go that fast without hood pins on each corner.
Please keep us posted if you do a high speed run in your Extreme. If you do, are you considering doing a GoPro video? That would be cool to see if you can get your speedo in the shot.

Old 10-20-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
We will roundup a few Saleens for the next event.
I'm down for this if I can find another Saleen soon.
Old 04-25-2014
SOEC Member

Old 04-25-2014
SOEC Member

From Inside the car.

Old 04-26-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

Nice.
I was out there also (been to 5 of their events, so you could say I'm hooked).
It truly is a blast getting the chance to go all out for a whole mile and trying to beat your own prior top speeds.

-Dan
Old 04-26-2014
SOEC Member

Hey Dan,

What car did you bring? I did not see another Saleen out there. You are right it is addictive. That guy in that wicked twin turbo Roush mustang, ran a top
of 198. I saw three passes where each was over 190 mph.
Old 04-26-2014

Mine is not a Saleen, it's just a modified 08 GT. Mine was the twin turbo one, but it's also not a Roush, just cobbled together with pieces. Roush front bumper and rear wing, gt500 rear bumper, SMS style knockoff hood, Cobra jet style rear quarter louvers, Saleen 200mph gauge cluster ... nearly pinned the speedo. Next year I guess, need to squeeze a few more MPH out of it.
My first MM event was a speed limited 142 (whippled), second was 157 (whippled, with speed limiter removed), third was 162 (whippled plus bolt-ons), 4th was 179 (TT/low boost), then this time (TT/high boost).

in-car video of the 198.5 run...

Old 04-26-2014
SOEC Member

Hey Dan,

My gal and I ran into you at the Best Western, as you were pulling in. Are you going to the Ford show tomorrow? If not, I will see you in Mojave next year. I was hoping we would run again in October but they are not having that event. I saw your car run on Sunday, you ran very well.

Wyatt
Old 04-26-2014

No, I'm not doing the Knott's show this year, I spent too much in the prep and run-up for Mojave this year and need a few months to recover. I'm almost relieved there isn't a fall event... almost. I had been thinking about doing the Silver State Classic Challenge this fall since there was no Mojave scheduled, but it looks like that's on hold for me also, just too many dollars/days for a rookie to get started.
See you at another Mojave event sometime.
Old 04-28-2014

Default Congratulations!!!

That was a great run. Great effort. Beautiful car!! Thanks for posting.