The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 02-04-2015
SOEC Member

Default CorTex torque arm install

Well, on my continuing quest to improve my Saleen I was researching suspension and brakes when I was reminded of the torque arm. Seems like I always get help finding more stuff to buy and try, in this case it was Jason from 281 Motorsports. I was completing what is intended to be the final state of the motor, and was looking for some replacement suspension. This became more definite after a Saleen tech I spoke to confirmed the Saleen shocks/struts were designed for ~50,000 mile service life and I am well past that at 72,xxx miles. So I call Jason for a shock/strut question and end up talking about the CorTex torque arm. It seems I NEED this part. That kind of revelation usually leads to research, as it did in this case. In point of fact, I could not find any negative reviews regarding this piece. The only real negativity I found online was arguments on manufacturers, there are 2 main camps it seems for the S197 body torque arm, and typical drama follows. Cutting through all that mess, the torque arm seemed highly regarded as a serious upgrade. I talked to Jason and he asked me to write an honest review in exchange for a small discount, to which I agreed. I asked Jason to see if CorTex would coat my torque arm in the Saleen matching red powder coating. Well apparently I am an oddball, but they agreed to make a special run for me at a small additional fee. Color match is spot on! Here goes the review...

On to the install…pretty dang straightforward, but be warned and follow the instructions entirely! Trying to skip steps leads to frustration and foul language, at least it did for me. The steps are clear and necessary, even when I thought, I can work around that. Now, as this piece had been in the garage since early December waiting on me to get the other parts installed and tested so I could accurately describe the effects of each (even if just for my own edification), I had waited long enough and decided to tackle the project in the garage. It was accomplished, after an entire day on my back. In fact, I had to do the LCA adjustment necessary to properly position the suspension/axle after the install, the following day simply because my arms and shoulders had quit on me. So install done…in about 10 hours! This would have been 6 hours on a lift I think. That is one man, and I will tell you that two or three guys with a lift make some things SOOOO much easier.

Issues…I got her on the wheels and went for a spin. An ungodly noise/vibration was emanating from the e-brake handle! I parked her back in the garage and waited for morning to try and figure the issue out with CorTex help. The guys there were great, and suggested sending some photos to verify I had not done something horribly wrong, I shot a bunch of pics, checked torque and verified all was installed correctly. Trent at CorTex suggested it might be the pinion bearing failing as all the noise from the rear is now going straight to the forward mounting point of the torque arm. That happens to be directly below the e-brake handle. So I called friend and fellow Saleen owner Cliff Parsons, who owns Parsons Performance Differentials in Beaumont, TX, and scheduled the time to put the rest of my garage stored parts in the car the following weekend. Sure enough, both the front and rear pinion bearings were shot. Everything else was fine, but as planned I had the entire rear rebuilt at the same time with new gears and a Detroit Trutrac diff. The ride home was so quiet I thought I was in a different car. No noise from the torque arm whatsoever! I did discover that the slight forward adjustment of the rear axle that was required was enough to create a slight tire rub at full compression (315 35r20 NT05). Just something to be aware of as LCA adjustments are made. My new coil overs were set at half soft, and needed to be set a bit stiffer in the rear.

Thoughts…with quiet comes speed! I enjoyed the ride home immensely. The car now stays remarkably flat not just during acceleration, but also during braking. That is a big plus as the tires and brakes get a chance to really bite! I won’t say I can’t break the rear loose, but it is much more fluid and controlled. Corner throttle goes almost unnoticed, and that is a good thing. During a decreasing radius elevation dropping high speed sweeper I found myself at an uncomfortable speed, even though the car felt flat and controlled. Honestly it was just faster. Personally, faster is always better and I enjoy my car being more capable than I am as a driver so I can grow (and it will forgive me a bit along the way). This change from the upper third link (UCA) to the torque arm is something anyone pushing their car will enjoy, and is just another example of a manufacturing compromise that can be remedied. If you are just a cruiser/car show person, this is not a part that will do you much good, but for anybody pushing higher RWHP, this is a way to put that power to the ground more predictably, and I think speed freaks will love it!
Attached Thumbnails
20150124_165448.jpg  

20150124_165537.jpg  

20150124_135334.jpg  

20150124_165506.jpg  

20150124_183359.jpg  

Old 02-04-2015
SOEC Member

Default CorTex torque arm install

Awesome writeup! I have a new cortex torque arm on its way. Also bought it from 281 Motorsports. Can't wait to feel the difference.

Last edited by seelye76; 02-04-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Michael,

First and foremost, thank you for the absolutely clear and concise review. I think you couldnt have told the story better. The feeling and confidence a CorteX Torque arm give the driver is hard to explain. I appreciate your time and all your efforts putting this together!

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 02-05-2015
SOEC Member

Awesome Michael! Thanks for the write-up.
Old 02-05-2015
SOEC Member

Somethings I forgot tomention:

The Upper Control Arm (UCA) and mount are entirely eliminated as apparent in the last pic.

The LCA adjustment is necessary to align the rear spring perches as the pinion angle is now static and set by the torque arm. With a UCA installed, the pinion angle is set at around -2 deg to compensate for the axle twist that occurs under acceleration. This is no longer necessary as the torque arm prevents the wrap, but that changes the angle of the spring perch slightly, and for some setups, can be enough to make noises/misalignment. My adjustments ended up being very slight, as I ended up almost where I started, and may have been able to eliminate this entirely. Just depends on what changes you have already made. Pinion angle can be changed from what the torque arm sets by shimming the mounting point at the third member ears. I did not find this necessary.

I did end up putting a 3" long piece of 3/8' fuel line (split down the length) around the e-brake cable where it passed through the front bracket to further isolate the cable as the hard coating on the cable was grabbing the endge of the bracket. Thanks to Cliff for having some handy!

Last edited by Meikol02; 02-05-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2015

Did you have to modify the Dynatech X pipe or stock mid-pipes exhaust at all?
Old 02-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by purevnm View Post
Did you have to modify the Dynatech X pipe or stock mid-pipes exhaust at all?
Sorry for jumping in here, but since we have done quite a few of these with different exhaust I felt I would jump in. We have not had to modify the exhaust with some and some we have had too. Ken's car we had to modify the pass side exhaust with a minor tweak, but Mark's we didnt....both cars had near identical parts.

The first picture (grey suspension) we had to tweak the pass side and Johns car (blue suspension) we had no clearance issues...
Attached Thumbnails
20140124_164917.jpg  

5.jpg  

Old 02-05-2015
SOEC Member

I did not have to modify the exhaust at all.
Old 02-05-2015
SOEC Member

Awesome job. Install looks great. Is a Watts link required to use the torque arm? Is it part of the kit, or do you need to purchase separately? Will it work with a convertible?

06-115 / S281 3V / SuperShaker / AirLift / Zenetti Baron forged / JDM / 3M Liquid Copper Wrap
Old 02-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
Awesome job. Install looks great. Is a Watts link required to use the torque arm? Is it part of the kit, or do you need to purchase separately? Will it work with a convertible?
A Watts link is not required to install a Torque arm....but is where I would start. The two pieces are sold separately. Yes, it will work with a convertable.

Old 02-06-2015

Thanks for the feedback Jason and Meikol02.
Old 02-06-2015
SOEC Member

Meikol. Is there a spec that you are supposed to set the pinion angle to or is it just based on misalignment of the springs? I have rear coil overs where the spring is on the shock so I do not see how this would effect my setup.
Old 02-12-2015
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelye76 View Post
Meikol. Is there a spec that you are supposed to set the pinion angle to or is it just based on misalignment of the springs? I have rear coil overs where the spring is on the shock so I do not see how this would effect my setup.

Anybody know the answer to my question?
Old 02-12-2015
SOEC Member

I did not see your post, sorry. My "coil-over" set uses an adjustable spring perch in the rear (the same as the Saleen/Pedders kit). The adjustment of LCA's for spring alignment would not apply to you. The Pinion angle is set by the torque arm.
Old 02-16-2015
SOEC Member

SidVicious, I had the CorTex Watts link for the last 2 years and just added the torque arm as an upgrade.

I did discover that I had "over adjusted" the LCA's and was able to move the axle back a bit which eliminated the audible rub at full compression, wihtout causing any issues.
Old 03-12-2015
SOEC Member

Just got my torque arm installed last night. Only gear noise is very slight at 60mph, but otherwise silent. Can't comment on performance just yet...
Old 03-13-2015

Quote:
Just got my torque arm installed last night. Only gear noise is very slight at 60mph, but otherwise silent. Can't comment on performance just yet...
Launch on it Josh!

Old 03-22-2015

Nice write up buddy! I didn't realize that the UCA would be eliminated with the torque arm.
Old 03-22-2015
SOEC Member

Thanks for the write up, I have been looking at the torque arm and watts link since last fall. Hopefully this will be my summer project.
Old 03-23-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen S281 View Post
Nice write up buddy! I didn't realize that the UCA would be eliminated with the torque arm.
Yes, it does! An upper control arm as the way its designed is terrible. You have binding rubber bushings that are not compliant or if you upgrade them, they transmit a ton of NVH usually and just deflect in the torque box. Torque arm for the win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen520 View Post
Thanks for the write up, I have been looking at the torque arm and watts link since last fall. Hopefully this will be my summer project.
Let us know if you choose and we can get a package together for you.

Old 03-23-2015
SOEC Member

I thought the hardest part of the install was removing that dang upper control arm mount. Gotta drop the fuel tank a little to get it out...
Old 03-24-2015

Quote:
I thought the hardest part of the install was removing that dang upper control arm mount. Gotta drop the fuel tank a little to get it out...
Josh,

Ford changed that on the 2011+. You can now just remove the bracket and the gas tank flange is no longer in the way....makes it awesome!

Old 04-05-2015

the wattslink and torque arm is usually one of the first suspension mods I suggest, it works great and the fitment is almost spot on.
The good thing is that it's great for street cars as well and not only for roadracing.

Hennie
Old 04-05-2015
SOEC Member

Default cortex sn95 fox watts/torque arm

Jason @281 motorsports-
A while back I noticed cortex makes a watts/torque arm setup for a fox or sn95 setup but couldn't find anyone online that is running the setup or any pics installed...Have you guys done a install on a foxbody? or seen it installed on a fox or sn95,any thoughts...

Saleen Alcons,Dart Block 347,G Force T-5,Vortech T-trim,Glenns performance fuel system,Snow performance stage 3 methanol kit Etc...
Old 04-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989_402 View Post
Jason @281 motorsports-
A while back I noticed cortex makes a watts/torque arm setup for a fox or sn95 setup but couldn't find anyone online that is running the setup or any pics installed...Have you guys done a install on a foxbody? or seen it installed on a fox or sn95,any thoughts...
We have not seen it on a car. However, we are going to install one one our Track Prepped Cobra here very soon! I would imagine its going to be EPIC!

Old 05-02-2015
Saleen Forums Participant

Jason
If you add the cortex torque arm and watts link to a 2007 S281E car what has to be changed?

do you have a package?
Old 05-02-2015

Give me a ring on monday and ill walk you through everything you need to know.

Old 08-20-2015
Saleen Forums Participant

Michael did you install the watts link your self?

I am having a hard time with everything I got from Cortex but the instruction for adjusting the watts link don't exist. any pointers would be great
Old 08-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB 2007 S281E View Post
Michael did you install the watts link your self?

I am having a hard time with everything I got from Cortex but the instruction for adjusting the watts link don't exist. any pointers would be great
Steve, It sounded like you got all the info you need from our tech today, are you all set?