The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-07-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Q: Suspension overhaul?

I have car 89 - 447, I bought it a few months ago, built the engine with GT40 3 bar heads, tubular upper and lower GT40 intake, it's more powerful and needs more suspension and tire. My car has a mishmosh of suspension parts that were replaced as needed. My car now is too low for my taste it has H&R springs all around and they have sagged in the rear. I just had Drag radials installed on the original 5 star wheels, now they rub 245/50/16's. I am looking to start fresh with all new shocks, springs, struts, and replace the onion heads with max motorsports with caster camber plates. I know some guys here will to like that I am replacing original stuff but I am keeping everything Saleen that comes off. I run around with a group on guys with very fast cars, I want to keep it old-school with new-school parts. Eventually I'll be adding a supercharger and some other performance mods.
Old 10-07-2015
Saleen Forums Participant

Wait for Goodson to see this and chime in or send him a pm...He has about nailed down the correct suspension for a foxbody.
Old 10-07-2015
SOEC Member

I would dive deep into a Maximum Motorsports or Griggs catalogue! Both companies make great systems for a fox! Goody as mentioned can eleaborate
Old 10-07-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks for the feedback so far! I'll look into both mentioned.
Old 10-07-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Without question, Maximum Motorsports has it dialed!

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 10-08-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

Any specific parts I should use? Do they make springs?
Old 10-08-2015

Really, It depends on what you want to do.

Maximum has packages matched to the application. I have the "grip in a box" package in my 85 Saleen and it handles great. The parts are top quality, and the installation instructions are very detailed. They have house brand springs and also sell popular aftermarket brands. Call the tech line, the guys on the phone can tell you what'll work for your application.
Old 10-08-2015

We can help you spec out a kit too.

Old 10-08-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

I roll around with a bunch of guys with very big power (800HP Camaro, 900HP, Viper 700HP, 91GT 450 HP), We cruise all over, sometimes very high speeds so I don't want an all out Drag race set up. I would like some that will be ok for a roll race, good from a dig but not swaying all over the road.

So far I like the idea of Tokico D - Spec B/C they are adjustable and from what I've been told they are a great option, also the adjustable MM rear control arms so I can adjust the rear height (my tires rub 245/50/16), MM castor/camber plates. I was hoping to buy a kit figuring it'll be cheaper and well matched.

If anyone can spin that info into a better set up I'm very open to what would be the best set up with a $1000-$1200 budget...
Old 10-16-2015
SOEC Member

$1000-1200 won't get you too deep into a Maximum Motorsports setup. You'd get basically subframes and springs with some tidbits of things like caster camber plates and possibly a rear LCA setup.

Keep your springs but buy the rear adjustable LCA's.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Sp...998-P1492.aspx

That would allow you to raise the ride height a tinge. Keep in mind if you raise it too much that it will adversely affect the handling. There are some different options for bushings in them. Depending on which other suspension pieces you choose, you can tailor those bushings to fit the other parts and perform well.

I would advise staying away from a panhard bar setup by itself with the stock 4 link. Lots of people do this but it is not advised by MM or Griggs to do so. When you do that you're creating a 5 link rear setup and at some point in suspension travel there is a point of bind. If that point is reached during hard cornering or on a wet road the car will break loose because the suspension has in essence bottomed out.

A panhard bar AND torque arm are really the best combo for a solid rear axle Fox. Period. Race proven and champions have used them. Although now it is outdated with the new Mustang chassis. But in its day the MM and Griggs equipped cars were VERY competitive in American Iron and on the podium those winners used one of the two.

There are a lot of details that can make your head spin because with suspension the choice of one part directly affects another. And no, there is no good happy one size fits all suspension for both drag racing and corner carving. You'll make sacrifices both ways but if you're good with the shortcomings then you can do that.

For $1200 I would...

1. install subframes (Get the full length... it's just worth it)
2. install adjustable rear LCA's
3. Install caster camber plates
4. Get a good shock combo. Bilsteins are a good fit and can be matched to your spring rates.

It will be a stretch to make that $1200 go that far if you pay someone to install them. You could get it if you do it yourself

My last and biggest piece of advice is pick up the phone and call Jason at 281 Motorsports or Maximum Motorsports to get good sound direction in your parts choice. You can also look up Jack Hidley on any major Mustang forum and ask questions. Most of the info is readily available on Corral for MM suspension stuff though. It's all out there but it just takes some good searching.

FWIW, I will be offering up some Koni SA "Red" shocks and struts I bought about 4 years ago. These are the last generation of "Reds" and are all internally adjustable off the car. I'm putting on some externally adjustable Koni yellow's with coil overs.

I'm working on building 93-57 into a good setup. I just drove the car home today from a shop that installed MM subframes, 4pt K member brace and 3.73's. I have coil overs and a panhard bar ready in the wait but I need to take care of the exhaust first so that the panhard bar will fit without interfering with the tail pipes. The last thing will be a torque arm. Along with that there's swaybar selection and spring rates. All of the tidbits have to work in tandem. I've got a string of 20 emails talking with MM engineers about spring rates and sway bar sizes to balance the car in the corners. It's fun math to me. Developing the perfectly balanced car that is a joy to drive.
SA10 #4 Chassis
www.puristmotorsports.com
Old 10-17-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thank you for your feedback!!!

I was looking at the Maximum motorsports "starter kit" to start off, billstein shocks and struts, max motorsports camber castor plates, max motorsports springs, and isolators. Then their "heavy duty" adjustable LCA's so I can still adjust the ride height if it is still too low..... I'll put it in myself or with a friend that knows these cars really well. I'm going to eventually supercharge the car but I need to make it drivable first.... already $1500!

Now that I'm at that price range do I do Coil overs??? Tough decision
Old 10-17-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

subframes already there too thanks
Old 10-18-2015
SOEC Member

Start simple. Get the adjustable rear LCA's and caster camber plates with a good set of shocks/struts. MM's kits offer H&R springs so I would leave the ones you have installed and just raise the rear a hair with the LCA's.

If you plan to install a panhard bar or torque arm get the LCA's with the spherical bearing on the chassis end. If you drive the car in the salt/brine at all you'll need some protective bushings that MM sells to keep the bearing from rusting because of that stuff.

I would start there and save pennies along the way. The education of each component is a process you'll get when you do research over time.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 10-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker2530 View Post
Thank you for your feedback!!!

I was looking at the Maximum motorsports "starter kit" to start off, billstein shocks and struts, max motorsports camber castor plates, max motorsports springs, and isolators. Then their "heavy duty" adjustable LCA's so I can still adjust the ride height if it is still too low..... I'll put it in myself or with a friend that knows these cars really well. I'm going to eventually supercharge the car but I need to make it drivable first.... already $1500!

Now that I'm at that price range do I do Coil overs??? Tough decision
If you want perfection in driving performance, coil-overs are the way to go.

Old 10-19-2015
SOEC Member

^^^ Agreed! Finances are usually the issue. But performance gains are worth it. Bump steer kit is huge too. If installed properly.

Sent from my Universe.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 10-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodson View Post
^^^ Agreed! Finances are usually the issue. But performance gains are worth it. Bump steer kit is huge too. If installed properly.

Sent from my Universe.
Agreed, our response is....then wait. Do it right, do it once and never regret.

Old 11-10-2015
Saleen Forums Participant

Listen to these two guys. Maximum and Griggs are the two top dogs and always have been. If you can't do it now, save the money, otherwise you're going to regret it.
2001 Ducati 996