The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 11-28-2016
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: Aftermarket wheel fitment? - 1989 Saleen

Hello,

I have a 1989 Saleen. I'm aware of the extreme back spacing for the front rims. The car has traction issues now with the stock rims and the addition of a blower this spring will only make it worse.

What aftermarket rim / tire combo have you ran that worked? I'm not too particular about rim size however the less rim the more tire I can have. Preferably a 15" rim. I'd prefer a skinny and slick set up. Thank you.
Old 11-29-2016
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Front wheels are standard backspacing.

Rears have extreme backspace.
Not sure if a 15" rear rim will clear the disc brakes - it will be close.
On an 8" wide rear wheel, you're looking for somewhere around 6" backspace with the Fox Saleen rear axle width.
#86-145 - Red
#91-039 - Red
Sold
#00-493 - White Sold
Old 11-29-2016

Thanks for the response. I thought the front required greater back spacing due to the clearance of the hub?

Also, the vehicle has 31 spline Moser axles. It's likely they're the same axles one would find on a regular 5 lug swapped foxbody but that remains unknown.
Old 01-16-2017

Id say go up to 17" like many of the Saleens came with. Im refinishing extra set of Stern 3 piece wheels just now.

http://www.saleenclubofamerica.com/SCOATech/87-93.htm
Old 01-17-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

The only way they are the same axles as a regular fox in the rear is if somebody swapped the rear brake brackets to north race car brackets.

The wheels aren't your problem, it's your tires and other weak suspension parts.

Guys have run 9 second passes on 17 inch drag radials so...

Going to a 15 will probably only succeed in making the car look and handle poorly. And if you aren't going to a drag radial it will really serve no point. regular 15 inch tires provide no more traction than a regular 24 inch tire.

Besides saleen foxes look wrong without real saleen wheels.

My car makes 480rwhp and 500rwtq (in which an incredible amount is low rpm) and does just fine on 18 inch wheels and if your only mods are a vortech you will like be 150rwhp short of that.
Sold xp8 2000 #30, all options including alcons