The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

View Poll Results: What oil do you prefer in your Saleen?
Ford Motorcraft 2 3.39%
Mobil 1 33 55.93%
Castrol 2 3.39%
Valvoline 3 5.08%
Pennzoil 0 0%
QuakerState 0 0%
Amsoil 9 15.25%
Royal Purple 9 15.25%
RedLine 1 1.69%
Other (Motul, Total, Eneos, etc etc) 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Default What Oil do you run in your Saleen?

It's almost time for my next oil change, and I'm considering changing brands... thought i'd run a poll and see what everyone is using in their cars

I'm currently running Amsoil Signature Series 0w-30 and an Amsoil Ea oil filter...

as for switching, I'm considering Castrol EDGE-SPT European Formula (German Castrol) if i can still find it, combined with a Ford Racing oil filter

or

Royal Purple HPS with a Royal Purple oil filter

What's your lube of choice?
Old 07-09-2012
SOEC Member

Amsoil! I wouldn't use anything else....
Old 07-09-2012
SOEC Member

I use the Royal Purple XPR 5W30 on my 351 but anything with high zinc is also good just stay away from that conventional junk that gunks up your engine parts.
1998 Saleen Speedster (S351 SC) #14
Black on Black
Old 07-10-2012
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Mobil 1

I just switched from Mobil 1 to Royal Purple. I heard that Mobil 1 used to be the only true full syn. I think they lost a court battle with other manufactures calling their full syn. when the base wasnt. Making much more money because it was cheaper. After they lost they started doing the same thing. Now its like in his post you have to find German Castrol for it to be full syn. So I switched. Worth looking into for you guys using Mobil 1.
Old 07-11-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00WHTSC281 View Post
I just switched from Mobil 1 to Royal Purple. I heard that Mobil 1 used to be the only true full syn. I think they lost a court battle with other manufactures calling their full syn. when the base wasnt. Making much more money because it was cheaper. After they lost they started doing the same thing. Now its like in his post you have to find German Castrol for it to be full syn. So I switched. Worth looking into for you guys using Mobil 1.
Yeah you're talking about the Mobil vs Castrol lawsuit... where Castrol argued that the court needed to define "synthetic", and in the end they got to list the group 3 hydrocracked base stocks they were using, as legally, a "synthetic"...

Up until that point, I think Mobil 1 was using a base stock mixture of mostly group 4 PAO true synthetic, but after Castrol's victory, they figured, if you can't beat them, join them.

I think the Mobil 1 Extended Performance line is still mostly group 4, but i don't know for sure... I know one of their most robust formulas is their 0w40, which is labeled "European Car Formula"... which carries a few tough OEM Approvals. Also, I think almost any oil that is a 0wxx (0W20, 0W30, 0W40 etc etc) has to have a higher percentage of true synthetic base stock, as conventional can't be that thin at cold temperatures...
Old 07-11-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
Amsoil! I wouldn't use anything else....
Totally agree.
Old 07-13-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

We use Red Line a couple of years ago at Rose Cup Races in Portland the oil adaptor blew off of the side of the block at 5500 rpm in 5th gear down the back straight. It spit ouf about 8 t0 10 quarts (8 quart pan 2 oil filters plus cooler). Pulled the engine sure that the bearings were toast. Took to our engine builder two day later he says come and get it. I ask about the damages he said nothing was harmed the bearings look like new. I am sold on Red Line it save the engine
Old 07-13-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Clinton View Post
We use Red Line a couple of years ago at Rose Cup Races in Portland the oil adaptor blew off of the side of the block at 5500 rpm in 5th gear down the back straight. It spit ouf about 8 t0 10 quarts (8 quart pan 2 oil filters plus cooler). Pulled the engine sure that the bearings were toast. Took to our engine builder two day later he says come and get it. I ask about the damages he said nothing was harmed the bearings look like new. I am sold on Red Line it save the engine
Impressive!
Old 07-13-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
I'm sure using Red Line is what saved the engine, it is a great oil! If it was me I would rank the oil 1) Amsoil 2) Red Line 3) Royal Purple. It's not that Amsoil is so much superior it just doesn't break down as easily and you can run it for a longer period of time.
Old 07-14-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

For those of you using Royal Purple; any complaints or praise? Are your cars primarily garage and show queens? Or track and drag strip cars?

I'm pretty interested in running Royal Purple, but i hear some horror stories about their oils not standing up to heavy abuse unless you pony up the cash for their XPR line... Not sure how the newer HPS line is in comparison...

If you do run Royal Purple, which line of their oil do you use? Their off-the-shelf API licensed street oil? HPS? XPR?
Old 07-14-2012

I have Royal Purple in one of my Procharged cars, and will be changing out to Mobil1 again on the next change. I have heard stories about RP eating away at the metals if the car is not used often, and this car is not driven that much. I don't have any documented evidence to state that what I have heard is true, but have too much in the motor to take chances. I have used M1 synthetic for years in a lot of my Mustangs, and have never had oil issues with it. Don't really know why I decided to mess with a good thing.

Mustangs and Harley, I use Mobil1 and it works great! The only one I do not use M1 in is my F350... I just use Motorcraft dino squeezin's as recommended with Powerstroke turbodiesels and have never had a problem.
Old 07-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hot281 View Post
Yeah you're talking about the Mobil vs Castrol lawsuit... where Castrol argued that the court needed to define "synthetic", and in the end they got to list the group 3 hydrocracked base stocks they were using, as legally, a "synthetic"...

Up until that point, I think Mobil 1 was using a base stock mixture of mostly group 4 PAO true synthetic, but after Castrol's victory, they figured, if you can't beat them, join them.

I think the Mobil 1 Extended Performance line is still mostly group 4, but i don't know for sure... I know one of their most robust formulas is their 0w40, which is labeled "European Car Formula"... which carries a few tough OEM Approvals. Also, I think almost any oil that is a 0wxx (0W20, 0W30, 0W40 etc etc) has to have a higher percentage of true synthetic base stock, as conventional can't be that thin at cold temperatures...
I suspect you either work in the oil industry, or have WAAAAAAAAYYYYY too much free time on your hands!
Old 07-14-2012
SOEC Member

Default Redline Oil

Quote:
Nice! Sounds like the engine shut off just in time. Glad your motor was saved.
Black on Black
Old 07-14-2012
SOEC Member

Default Zinc formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemustangperformance View Post
I have Royal Purple in one of my Procharged cars, and will be changing out to Mobil1 again on the next change. I have heard stories about RP eating away at the metals if the car is not used often, and this car is not driven that much. I don't have any documented evidence to state that what I have heard is true, but have too much in the motor to take chances. I have used M1 synthetic for years in a lot of my Mustangs, and have never had oil issues with it. Don't really know why I decided to mess with a good thing.

Mustangs and Harley, I use Mobil1 and it works great! The only one I do not use M1 in is my F350... I just use Motorcraft dino squeezin's as recommended with Powerstroke turbodiesels and have never had a problem.
I'll start using whatever has the highest Zinc and no cleaners or conditioners in their oils cuz the cleaners and conditioners are what cause all the problems. Zinc is what provides the highest protection. I'm no oil expert I just go with proven facts. I haven't had any issues with the Royal Purple or just don't know what signs to look for in the metal eating process but all seems ok on my end. Here's a link to Amsoils high Zinc oil for those who were concerned about not driving their cars as much and mostly had them in storage: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/zrt.aspx
Black on Black

Last edited by Saleen_S351; 07-14-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 07-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen_S351 View Post
I'll start using whatever has the highest Zinc and no cleaners or conditioners in their oils cuz the cleaners and conditioners are what cause all the problems. Zinc is what provides the highest protection. I'm no oil expert I just go with proven facts. I haven't had any issues with the Royal Purple or just don't know what signs to look for in the metal eating process but all seems ok on my end. Here's a link to Amsoils high Zinc oil for those who were concerned about not driving their cars as much and mostly had them in storage: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/zrt.aspx
Good info, thanks! I will take a closer look at AmsOil.
Old 07-14-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Default Oil Tests

This article may be a tad bit old but it's still relevant in some aspects. Good read nonetheless.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oiltest.pdf
Old 07-17-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

A LOT of Mobil1 users amongst the Saleen crowd.

Never used Mobil before. But they have a solid following everywhere I look.
Old 07-17-2012

I use Mobil 1. But that's what I was told to run.
Old 07-17-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
A LOT of Mobil1 users amongst the Saleen crowd.

Never used Mobil before. But they have a solid following everywhere I look.
It's not a bad oil. I think they (Mobile 1) rubbed some peeps wrong with the lawsuit. But it is easily the best that is widely available and probably the reason why so many use it. But I still prefer Amsoil
Old 07-17-2012

What type of amsoil do you guy run?
Old 07-17-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEENJAMES View Post
What type of amsoil do you guy run?
I run Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 Motor Oil (what my Saleen manual recommends) and a Ford Racing oil filter. Completely satisfied.
Old 07-17-2012
Suspended Account

I use Castrol Syntec because I couldn't find another 5-50 synthetic alternative.
Old 07-20-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Okay, well I picked up some German Castrol and have a Ford Racing oil filter being delivered next week.

Think I'll run it for a few thousand miles or about 6 months... then run a Used Oil Analysis and swap in some Royal Purple XPR and a Royal Purple filter for the next 6 months.
Old 08-11-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Well I've been running the German Castrol and FRPP Filter for about 500 miles now.

On the up side, my last 2 tanks averaged 20.1 MPG (up from 16-18 MPG), but on the downside, I get slightly, but noticeably, more valvetrain "chatter"...

Not quite what I expected from a documented "heavy" 30-weight oil... Considering GC usually returns viscosity numbers; cSt @ 100C in the 11.5 - 12.3 range in UOA's and VOA's... and is ACEA A3 and has a HTHS rating >3.5, I'd expect the exact opposite results. (By comparison, Amsoil SS 0w30 usually returns 9.0 - 10.5 cSt @ 100C viscosity, is ACEA A1/A5 and HTHS <3.5...)

Based on numbers alone, Amsoil should have returned the better fuel economy, and GC should be quieter... I still have a few bottles and will most likely send a sample out for a VOA to see what's what.

Oh well. I'll probably dump this fill earlier than planned and go for the Royal Purple HPS or XPR next.
Old 08-13-2012
SOEC Member

Default Royal purple (out performs all)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoS281 View Post
This article may be a tad bit old but it's still relevant in some aspects. Good read nonetheless.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oiltest.pdf
This was a nice read and good to know type of article. Glad to see that i've always been using the right stuff (Royal Purple).

Thanks again!
Black on Black
Old 08-14-2012
Saleen Forums Participant

I use 0-30w Amsoil Signature Series ever since I bought my car (I don't know what the previous owners used) with Wix filters (got them for free from where I worked. They were from NAPA.) then I started using Motorcraft filters.

My buddy ran Mobil 1 synthetic in his S2000 and burned oil until he switched to Amsoil so that helped me choose to go with Amsoil.
Old 08-15-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Here's an interesting thread regarding the real world performance of Royal Purple.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/oil-a...ustang-gt.html

I really want to put around 1,000-1,500+ miles, at minimum, on this German Castrol before sending it out for an Oil Analysis... but the more research I do into Royal Purple, the more I want to switch... like, now.
Old 08-28-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

The valvetrain "ticking" sound I heard while running German Castrol was getting annoying... So despite the extremely short 600-mile change interval, I dumped it and switched over to Royal Purple HPS 5w30 and a Ford Racing oil filter.

Old 08-28-2012

From factory my typhoon came with mobil 1 so used it for awhile then switched to royal purple.

Saleen i ran castrol syntec for yrs then switched to royal purple.

Ran amsoil in my R1 and was way too noisy, thought my bike was going to die so main reason why never switched into cars and stayed with rp in them.

Its off topic but As far as bike goes i used motul 300v pretty much from the beginning then to klotz which worked great to and was cheaper
01 Bullitt #3251H/C/Turbo build
92 GMC Typhoon
89 Chevy S10 Cameo
07 Yamaha R1 Candy Red
Old 08-29-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
The valvetrain "ticking" sound I heard while running German Castrol was getting annoying... So despite the extremely short 600-mile change interval, I dumped it and switched over to Royal Purple HPS 5w30 and a Ford Racing oil filter.

Where did you get that third taillight light?
Old 08-30-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werecow View Post
Where did you get that third taillight light?
Was already on the car when I purchased it.
Old 09-07-2012

I only use Mobil 1. Works great for me.

2002 S/C Saleen Coupe
Torch Red #293
21st Century Heat Exchanger
21st Century Intercooler
Brembo Brakes
Corbeau Seats
Old 09-07-2012

Quote:
Was already on the car when I purchased it.
i have one too, i love it!
Old 09-08-2012

I use Amsoil Sig series. A buddy of mine has an 04 Cobra pushing nearly 600 rwhp and that's what he uses so I figure it's solid. Also, for those concerned about how their oil is holding up you can setup an account with Blackstone Labs and they will send you free sample bottles. When you change your oil send them in a sample for 35 bucks they'll do a thorough analysis on it looking for any signs of premature breakdown of the oil or bearings, etc. 35 bucks could be the cheapest insurance ever if they let you know you have a problem long before it's a serious problem.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 09-13-2012
SOEC Member

Cool Royal Purple Challenge

Quote:

Here's a recent email from one of the Royal Purple reps:

Good morning Jose,

I see you also asked: “How much zinc does the XPR have compared to the HPS oils?”

The HPS will have typical batches in excess 1200 ppm zinc and phosphorus both.

The XPR will have typical batches in excess 1300 ppm zinc and phosphorus both.

Zinc and phosphorus are the primary components of the industry standard type of engine oil anti-wear additive, ZDDP (zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate). Because of durability issues with aggressive flat tappet camshafts and a reduction in the ZDDP found in street motor oils over 10 years ago, “zinc” has become a crude and inaccurate measure of the “high-performance” ability of an oil. This has actually driven some oil brands to practically dump this additive into some of their “race-only” oils to stand out from the pack. Unfortunately for the buying public, formulating a great oil is a little more complicated than loading it with anti-wear additive.

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!

Jim Morrissey
Technical Services/Automotive
Black on Black
Old 09-13-2012

Thanks for the update
Old 07-19-2017

I realize that this thread is old but unfortunately I'm a bit skeptical about Royal Purple based on , I know a facebook S197 group discussion. People are trying to say that they've spun bearings, scored cylinder walls and anything in between. I figured with the zinc additive it would be a very protective oil. Any good research, proof and/or experience that someone could share with me? I don't mind spending the money for something actually proven in the real world to protect my engine.