The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-12-2005
Saleen Forums Participant

Default 18x9 Wheels on a Hatchback

I have a black 89 Saleen hatchback. Can I fit a set of 18x9 Saleen wheels? Any opinions on some of the replica wheels out there. I tried to fit a set of 17x9.5 Torque Trust II's off a 94 GT but they stick out of the wheels wells, but the fronts fit fine. It looks great from the side but not so much from the rear. I want to get as much rubber under the rear as possible.
Black 89 Saleen #05. 345 horsepower FRPP motor, Holley Systemax, 6 spd tranny, Chrome Saleens 18x9/10's, 3.73's. 288 rwhp, 297 rwtq.
Old 08-15-2005

The 18x9 should fit, but if they don't you will have to get you fenders rolled. Chicane sport tuning sells a fender roller. The wheels will stick out because the axle are from a lincoln mark VII I think. But that is why the tires stick out. I want to do the same thing with the 94-98 rims.
Old 08-15-2005

The fenders are already rolled. The axel length is wider in the rear as my fronts fit nice inside the fender wells, but you can see how the rears do not line up with the fronts. It gives the car the big -n- little look, even though they are 17x9.5's all thge way around. I think I am going to try to find someone local with a set of 18x9's and fit one on to see how it looks. Thanks for the info.
Black 89 Saleen #05. 345 horsepower FRPP motor, Holley Systemax, 6 spd tranny, Chrome Saleens 18x9/10's, 3.73's. 288 rwhp, 297 rwtq.
Old 08-17-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LEENEN
The 18x9 should fit, but if they don't you will have to get you fenders rolled. Chicane sport tuning sells a fender roller. The wheels will stick out because the axle are from a lincoln mark VII I think. But that is why the tires stick out. I want to do the same thing with the 94-98 rims.
'93LEENEN where in the Bay do you live? I live in the Peninsula Area. I have an '89 Saleen with the '94-'98 18" wheels on it. I will be attending the Saleen show in September. Hope to see you out there.
Old 09-24-2005

hey saleenfan...are your speelines the same offset front and rear?...i have a set of silver speedlines but the rears have a different offset i believe because on my 94 cobra they sit about the same as the front unlike usual on the sn-95 cars where the rears sit too far in, and they have deeper lug holes...and i was wondering if they'll work on my 91 saleen...do you still have the wider axles in yours?...
'91 Saleen #50

a few bolt-ons...and a whine i can't track down!
Old 09-27-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad91leen
hey saleenfan...are your speelines the same offset front and rear?...i have a set of silver speedlines but the rears have a different offset i believe because on my 94 cobra they sit about the same as the front unlike usual on the sn-95 cars where the rears sit too far in, and they have deeper lug holes...and i was wondering if they'll work on my 91 saleen...do you still have the wider axles in yours?...
The rears will stick out too far because of the offset and because of the longer than stock disc brake axles that Fox body Saleens have. Yes, the wheels are the same offset front and rear (18x8.5 +30mm offset). I also have the Cobra disc brake set-up in the front.