The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition Or as Parnelli likes to call them, for "the Parnelli Jones/Saleen Limited Edition."

Old 03-30-2011
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Improvements to PJ #190 (...L-O-N-G...P-O-S-T...)

I posted on another forum and, so far, have had no response. I'd be interested in hearing feedback from all of you.

Prelude Statement: As a general rule, I would agree with those that say don't modify a collectible car. I also believe that you should drive the cars you own, unless your goal is to preserve the car for the next owner - ha ha (I've been there and done that).

Mission: To experience the cars I own in a way that is thrilling, enjoyable and adds value to life.

Objective: To improve my PJ for accomplishing my mission, while noting my prelude statement.

Background: Like the majority of older Americans, I too have back problems (lower, L3/L4). Add to this the fact that I believe the PJ seats are too firm to be comfortable over longer distances and you can begin to understand my need for better seats. My other ride has Recaro Pole Position racing buckets which hold you in all the right places, reduce weight by a large degree, yet are very comfortable for me over long distances. Also, this same car I speak of has very precise and properly weighted steering, which in my humble opinion, is missing on the PJ. This, again in my opinion, translates to losing some potential of this great performance ride.

Whew!

Now that I got all that goal, aligning, clarity crap out of the way, let me tell you about my plans, and then I would like to hear feedback from those that may have similar thoughts or have done similar changes to their Saleen ride.

1) Seats
I am convinced the goal of the PJ seats was almost entirely for aesthetics. Sure they look good, but man do they do a number on my lower back after just a short drive. So, what I'm ready to do is take out the PJ seats (front and back) and replace them with better-fitting, more comfortable seats, while reducing weight (aka the enemy! ). This will accomplish my mission statement while addressing my prelude statement of preserving the original (hard to replace) PJ seats.

Here are the seats we all know (but may not love):

Here is one option that I would plan** to install...

The seat is called Corbeau's CR1 model, which would be covered in black microsuede. I would plan to acquire a 2005+ Mustang rear seat and have it recovered in the same material to match. Keep in mind my background and objective.

**HOWEVER, if anyone out there knows how I may procure some of these, I may go this route instead:

2. Steering:
In my humblest of opinions as a car and driving enthusiast, the PJ's power steering is over-boosted and too light in its duties to communicate feedback desired during the driving experience. This one enhancement that I am going to approach cautiously, though. I may not do anything at all unless I know the outcome is going to add value to the driving experience. Resultantly, this is an area that I really could use input from those of you that have experience with this.

3. Steering Wheel:
I don't know about you, but the PJ's steering wheel is just not as performance oriented as it could be, especially given the PJ's track heritage and potential. I would like to get a steering wheel with a chunkier thickness (if this makes sense). Perhaps something more ergonomic and performance-oriented ala 2012 Boss 302 (for instance). Here's a photo of what I'm talking about:

4. Window Tint
I'm not talking about limo tint or even tinting all the windows. I'm just talking about the driver and passenger side front windows, going 35%-38% in order to mute out the interior and occupants, and streamline the car from a design standpoint. I know this is not for everyone, but I believe it adds to the look of a car when done, tastefully. I did not have to go far to find an example photo of this. I believe this is one of the press photos of the PJ, and guess what the windows are tinted exactly like I had mentioned.

----------------

So, I'd like to hear from those that have ventured into this (sometimes) touchy or controversial area of "enhancements" (notice I did not say mods).

I especially want to hear from those on item 2 above, Steering.
Thanks to all that have endured this long read and are now still willing to post a response.

Cheers!

Last edited by MrClean; 03-30-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-30-2011
SOEC Member (Inactive)

WOW! This is an exciting thread and look forward to the build process. I like the idea about Corbeau's or Recaro's being installed. I think I am one of the few Saleen Enthusiasts who wished Saleen produced our cars with these types of seats (lightweight - racing style).

As for window tint, I had 35% professionally installed and later removed because it took away from the exotic appeal/look of the vehicle. In Texas, tint is very popular but after studying cars I liked and disliked, I've personally concluded that tint can be devalue a car based on perception. This is my own personal opinion and it applies to other rare brands of vehicles.

As for steering, I really have no comment accept to say I am a fan of the GT3RS wheel which is why I've commissioned a steering wheel company here and Dallas to do something rare (I will keep the rest on the DL).

Good luck in mastering your improvements!
Old 03-30-2011

Well, lets see where to start. I have PJ #39 and have owned it since 12/6/06. I absolutely love the exterior and interior look. I agree the seats are not that comfortable on long rides, but I do them so infrequently that it doesn't matter. I also do not suffer any back problems so that may help my not minding their stiffness.

My only complaint of the PJ is that when I first got it and put it through its paces I was underwhelmed by its engine performance (get up and GO). So to that end I had the SuperShaker System, GT500 Fuel System, Long Tube Headers with X-pipes, Aluminum Driveshaft, MGW Short-throw Shifter and Custom 93 octane tune installed. Performance issue gone with 483 RWHP / 464 RWTQ. Now I totally love my PJ and hopefully I will never get to old to drive it.

So I say you should do what you feel will enhance your appreciation of the PJ. Mod it and enjoy it because we are very lucky to have one.
Hope this helps.
Super Shaker PJ #39 (RW 483HP / 464TQ)
'05 Thunderbird - Inca Gold 1 of 82
'03 Thunderbird - Torch Red
'13 BOSS 302 - School Bus Yellow
with Trackey Option & Seat Delete
Old 03-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoS281 View Post
WOW! This is an exciting thread and look forward to the build process. I like the idea about Corbeau's or Recaro's being installed. I think I am one of the few Saleen Enthusiasts who wished Saleen produced our cars with these types of seats (lightweight - racing style).
Thanks for the supportive feedback. I will likely go the Corbeau route since they are willing to work with me on matching the fabric of the rear seat to the front seats.

I called Ford Racing Direct and left a VM to call me about the 2012 Boss 302 Recaro buckets.

Quote:
As for window tint, I had 35% professionally installed and later removed because it took away from the exotic appeal/look of the vehicle. In Texas, tint is very popular but after studying cars I liked and disliked, I've personally concluded that tint can be devalue a car based on perception. This is my own personal opinion and it applies to other rare brands of vehicles.
Got any photos of the car with the tint?

Quote:
As for steering, I really have no comment accept to say I am a fan of the GT3RS wheel which is why I've commissioned a steering wheel company here and Dallas to do something rare (I will keep the rest on the DL).

Now you're talkin.

This is what I'd like to get but wasn't sure of fitment/installation challenges.

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 03-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Well, lets see where to start. I have PJ #39 and have owned it since 12/6/06. I absolutely love the exterior and interior look. I agree the seats are not that comfortable on long rides, but I do them so infrequently that it doesn't matter. I also do not suffer any back problems so that may help my not minding their stiffness.
My only complaint of the PJ is that when I first got it and put it through its paces I was underwhelmed by its engine performance (get up and GO). So to that end I had the SuperShaker System, GT500 Fuel System, Long Tube Headers with X-pipes, Aluminum Driveshaft, MGW Short-throw Shifter and Custom 93 octane tune installed. Performance issue gone with 483 RWHP / 464 RWTQ. Now I totally love my PJ and hopefully I will never get to old to drive it.
So I say you should do what you feel will enhance your appreciation of the PJ. Mod it and enjoy it because we are very lucky to have one.
Hope this helps.
Bruce, I can tell you understand my mission.

Thanks for the input on the power. The PJ is plenty quick for me, at the moment, but that doesn't mean power gains are off the table.

Ballpark, what would someone expect to invest in their PJ to get the same setup you've done?

How much time did it take?

Did you research any other routes? (e.g. turbo, engine tuning or other internal changes?).
Old 03-30-2011

I have probably aound $15K invested. It took quite awhile to get there since the SuperShaker wasn't available until 2008. I started out slow by changing the air box to a CAI adding the long tubes and a SCT tune. took RWHP from 317 original to 350. Not bad but not great.

The majority of the $15K was spent with JDM for the SuperShaker, GT500 Fuel System, Custom Tune, labor and dyno time. That was completed start to finish in a week in NJ.

So bottomline about $90.00 per HP, probably more like $100/HP.

I looked at alot of options, but I picked the SuperShaker SC because I wanted to maintain the Shaker System and I liked the idea of taking forced air from the outside through the Shaker and inline filter directly into the SC. If you look at my PJ it just looks like it did originally until you open the hood of course.
Super Shaker PJ #39 (RW 483HP / 464TQ)
'05 Thunderbird - Inca Gold 1 of 82
'03 Thunderbird - Torch Red
'13 BOSS 302 - School Bus Yellow
with Trackey Option & Seat Delete
Old 03-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I have probably aound $15K invested. It took quite awhile to get there since the SuperShaker wasn't available until 2008. I started out slow by changing the air box to a CAI adding the long tubes and a SCT tune. took RWHP from 317 original to 350. Not bad but not great.
That's a pretty good gain for those mods.

I'm wondering what a SCT tune would do on its own.
Old 04-13-2011

I've been busy lately and haven't had time to follow-up on this thread or my planned "enhancements" for that matter.

After having some time to think about the first series of mods, I'm going to start with the seats since that will make longer drives easier on my back, while getting me connected more with the driving experience.

I've found a place here in town that does custom work. I'm going to bring the car to them (hopefully Friday this week) so they can take some measurements, take some photos, and then talk about my intentions and expectations.

If their quote does not break the bank, I will plan to do a PJ themed Corbeau CR1 sport seat pair in the front and then buy a used 2005-up Mustang rear seat for them to upholster in the same theme to match. That way I can keep the original seats untouched.

Anticipating the next step (steering and steering wheel) I also plan to contact Shebly out in Las Vegas about the Ford Racing/Motorsports parts they install on the Shelby Mustangs they make custom for customers. I'm interested in hearing what steering setups they might do to replace the stock units.

Suspension is not out of the question either. After a few speed runs in the car, I noticed high speed stability is not confidence inspiring. The car begins to feel light and uncertain at speed. I believe steering and suspension are to blame.
Old 04-24-2011
SOEC Member

I would like to hear more about steering improvements. I find my Racecraft steering a bit to light and darting at higher speeds, especially on grooved roads and when the tires are cold.
Old 04-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by walenator View Post
I would like to hear more about steering improvements. I find my Racecraft steering a bit to light and darting at higher speeds, especially on grooved roads and when the tires are cold.
I'm researching this well before doing anything.

So far, I've heard that those that track their Mustangs choose to scrap their PS setup entirely and replace it with a manual rack for the very reason you and I have experienced.

Since my plans for the PJ are not tracked focused, I don't know if this would be right for me.

I do plan to contact Shelby out in Vegas to find out what Ford Racing catalog parts they may have used on their cars.
Old 04-30-2011

Quote:

Let us know how this turns out!
Old 04-30-2011
SOEC Member

here is the seats I like and my guess is this is the same seat used in the Boss. http://www.281motorsports.com/produc...oducts_id=2564
Old 05-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock View Post
here is the seats I like and my guess is this is the same seat used in the Boss. http://www.281motorsports.com/produc...oducts_id=2564
Nice find!

I've been trying to find these seats.

I see we must wait till Ford Racing gives them a part number and pricing.

Still, now I have a link to check.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2011

IMO, coilovers are the best improvement, and combined with the rest of the parts saleen has installed you'll have a decent handling car.

I am working a custom made set shock/strut coilover kit, for street use or occasional trackday, and there are easy to adjust, in and outbound.
I will post a link as soon as they are available.

they are made by a very small manufacturer, and they are highly specialized in sport/rally and race springs and struts, and no need for 50 pce production runs.

Hennie
Old 05-06-2011

Yesterday, I talked to Maximum Motorsports and Performance Autosports about the suspension and steering of the PJ. Both were very good conversations.

What I learned from them:

1. The S197 chassis was designed around IRS, not for a solid rear axle setup.

2. There is concensus that the stock steering on the Mustang is designed for the masses, not the driver/track enthusiast.

3. The "rubber" on the car (not tires, but bushings) is soft to give the car cruising smoothness and pleasing NHV, but this can translate to a floaty ride and driver isolation (lack of dynamic feedback).

What does this mean?

Overall, for me, it means a high pucker factor if you drive at triple digit speeds (on track).

Individually, it means:

1. The car's suspension geometry has been compromised to accomodate the solid rear axle and resultantly has compliance and travel issues (read: traction and stability issues ---> think about how the car's balance/traction is affected when you bottom out against the bump stops). So, lowering an S197 doesn't necessarily mean improved handling, even with the lower COG.

2. What's good for boulevard cruising isn't going to install confidence on track. The power steering is overboosted and lacks feedback, especially at speed. Small inputs at speed can translate to big changes in direction and combine that with the lack of feedback and you're overly challenged to correctly navigate a high speed turn sucessfully.

3. Another feedback and traction issue is the low durometer rubber the car's suspension and steering components include. Again, what's pleasing for cruising around town, removes feedback and confidence at speed. Some might also call this lack of feedback "numbness" or "isolation" from the driving experience.

What's recommended and why?

Regarding item 1. Saleen's Speedlab makes a coilover kit especially suited for our S197 cars. Compliancy and better traction, via well chosen spring rates and adjustable shock dampening is attained, while allowing you to control the height. Again, lower does not necessarily mean better, so it's good to have control over height.

Regarding item 2. A proper alignment along with lower control arms that have higher durometer bushings will make a huge difference for most driving situations. Zero out the caster as much as possible, turn the toe in (not too much that you chew up tires) and let that camber go NEGATIVE! I was told -1.3 to -1.9 is good for street and some track/autocross, but if you really want to optimize track driving, taking camber to -3 will do wonders for handling and high speed stability (note: the Speedlab coilovers come with camber/caster plates for more adjustment capability). Finally, if this doesn't "fix" the steering speed and feedback enough for you, then the FR500 steering rack in the Ford Racing catalog will. This unit reduces the boost, improving feedback, and slows the ratio to improve higher speed driving control. At about $1000 plus install, it is the more expensive way to go.

3. As mentioned above, lower control arms with high durometer bushings will get rid of the feeling of isolation and transmit more of the car's dynamics to you, but the drawback here is more noise transmission to the cabin - gear whine for instance in the case of the rear control arms. Rear lower control arms are a good controlled way to start the modding (ehm, clearing throat, "enhancements"). I hear the front lower control arms can be squeaky if not lubed often.

So, there you have it - from the experts at these two fine Mustang focused companies; both with years and years of experience both on and off track with what works and doesn't work on our cars.

I plan to take the advice (I've heard on this forum and from MM and PA) of doing the Speedlab coilovers with camber/caster plates, along with the lower control arms and a proper alignment. If that doesn't take care of the steering for me, then I'll plan to do the FR500 steering rack.

Last edited by MrClean; 05-06-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-07-2011
SOEC Member

This post should be a sticky.
Old 05-14-2011

UPDATE: Custom PJ Corbeau CR1 Seats

After emailing photos of the current PJ seats, the PJ interior, the PJ exterior and the Corbeau CR-1 seats, I talked to Tritex (Columbus, Ohio) on Friday.

So, I was informed of a couple things.

1. there are few design options given the molded race seat format.

2. I should have something to review by Tuesday.

I informed him that I was only expecting orange accents on a black seat and a PJ logo in the seat back, if possible.

Whatever the design, I plan for it to be applied to a rear seat too (picking up a used/salvage 2005+ Mustang back seat).

As long as this is not crazy expensive... (famous last words, right?)
Old 05-19-2011

Let us know what you come up with on the seats. I may be looking for a pair.
Old 05-19-2011

Default Update on the Custom Seats

I heard back from Tritex, here in Columbus, Ohio.

Here's the design that they came up with for the PJ version of the CR-1 Corbeau:

I've been quoted...

PJ custom work is $592 per front seat (in addition to the cost of the seat)

PJ custom work is $1036 for the rear seat (in addition to the cost of the seat)

There would be an embroidered PJ emblem (like currently on the seat, only larger) centered in the top of the seat back/head rest area.

Last edited by MrClean; 05-19-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2011

i know a guy that has the boss 302 seats. they are leather and were ment for a shelby gt500 black with white center.
Old 05-21-2011
SOEC Member

Thicker wheel now available from Grant.

Maybe Jason from 281 Motorsports can do a bulk deal. Best price $489 inc shipping from Blue Oval.

Name:  Grant wheel.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  98.1 KB

Tony
2008 Extreme S302E #02 RHD Saleen Demo/Press
Parnelli Jones #45 Super Shaker RHD
Parnelli Jones #46 Super Shaker RHD
Parnelli Jones #407 Super Shaker RHD (SOLD)
'06 GT Coupe "Saleen Racer" RHD
1970 GT-HO Falcon Phase 2 Owned since new
1966 Shelby GT-350 LHD
1965 TBird Conv. 429SCJ Drag Pak 4 speed
Old 05-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie-Parnelli View Post
Thicker wheel now available from Grant.

Maybe Jason from 281 Motorsports can do a bulk deal. Best price $489 inc shipping from Blue Oval.

Attachment 3561

Tony
Nice find, Tony!

Thanks for posting.

That Grant wheel definitely improves the ergonomics end of things.

I would like to find a wheel that has the microsuede (aka alcantara) material for a more certain grip and better look - especially since the seats I plan to install will be that material (microsuede from Corbeau).
Old 05-23-2011

UPDATE: Window Tint (DONE!)
=======================

I got the side windows on the PJ tinted this past weekend, and I'm cursing myself for not snapping at least a couple photos. I've been too busy doing other things, including driving the car a lot!

Like the photo below, I did not go too dark (in my opinion), choosing 38% film. That means that only 38% of the light will be transmitted to the cabin. However, over 99% of the UV will be filtered to protect the interior much more. I love the look and it really streamlines the car. For reference, "limo tint" (the darkest available) is 5%.

Will post pictures later.

Last edited by MrClean; 05-23-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-27-2011

UPDATE: Corbeau CR1s Ordered!
=========================

The seats are on order and the goal is to have them designed as shown in the sketch below and then installed in my car before June 18, 2011 (car show at Germain Ford in Columbus, Ohio).

I will provide more updates as they become available.

Currently working on the thorax airbag sensor issue (since new seats won't have the side/thorax airbags).
Old 05-27-2011

I love the upgrades. The GT3 RS wheel looks like it has the same air bag shape. I'm sure something custom can be done there. I can't wait to see pics. Those seats are a killer idea. I think we can work something out for the Grant steering wheels. I had the Grant prototype in my wifes 07 and loved it.
Old 05-27-2011
SOEC Member

Let us know about the steering wheels when you can Matt, they do look nice

Tony
1966 Shelby GT-350 LHD
Old 06-05-2011

Here is a link to an article on what to do about the air bag, seat belt, and seat position sensors.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...nge-seats.html

Do our PJs even have side airbags?

Last edited by Bugeye71; 06-05-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ255 View Post
Do our PJs even have side airbags?
I wondered the same thing since the little "airbag" tags that are typically found on the side of the seats are not on the PJ seats.

However, it could be that when the seats were recovered by Saleen the tags were simply not put back on.

Anyone know for sure?

This is the one technical obstacle that I have yet to clear.
Old 06-07-2011

UPDATE: Car at TriTex

I dropped off my car yesterday and the Corbeau seats should be arriving any day.
Old 06-07-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
I wondered the same thing since the little "airbag" tags that are typically found on the side of the seats are not on the PJ seats.

However, it could be that when the seats were recovered by Saleen the tags were simply not put back on.

Anyone know for sure?

This is the one technical obstacle that I have yet to clear.
Side airbags were a Mustang option from 2005-07. The Saleen pool Mustangs did not feature this option. IUP, Shaker 500, 3.55 gears, wing delete were the typical Ford equipment on their orders.
Old 06-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Side airbags were a Mustang option from 2005-07. The Saleen pool Mustangs did not feature this option. IUP, Shaker 500, 3.55 gears, wing delete were the typical Ford equipment on their orders.
Thanks for the quick reply, Dave.

Are you aware of anything else that needs to be adressed to avoid throwing codes when swapping seats?

Last edited by MrClean; 06-08-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Are you aware of anything else that needs to be adressed to avoid throwing codes when swapping seats?
When Saleen did the seat cover & foam swap, sometimes the airbag light would trip. I was once informed this had to do with the tautness of the covers and/or a weight sensor in the passenger seat. I do not know if any of this is true.

I would would not be surprised if removing the OE seating will signal the dash warning light.
Old 06-17-2011

Default PJ Corbeau Transformation (has begun)

UPDATE: The seats are now in process and they are looking great!

Here are some photos...

The plan is to replace the circular Corbeau Seats patch with a PJ emblem one.

Tritex has contacted a company they work with to do embroideries.

Things are developing nicely.
Old 06-18-2011
Administrator

Looks like a great project! How well were they able to match the Grabber Orange paint with material?
Old 06-21-2011

Quote:
Looks like a great project! How well were they able to match the Grabber Orange paint with material?
Dave, believe it or not, but the material chosen matches the paint better than the original seat material.

Tritex has been great to work with and by the time this project is over, they will have learned all the lessons and be ready to make the next set of PJ Corbeau seats for the next enthusiast customer.
Old 07-03-2011

Quote:
UPDATE: Window Tint (DONE!)
=======================

I got the side windows on the PJ tinted this past weekend, and I'm cursing myself for not snapping at least a couple photos. I've been too busy doing other things, including driving the car a lot!

Like the photo below, I did not go too dark (in my opinion), choosing 38% film. That means that only 38% of the light will be transmitted to the cabin. However, over 99% of the UV will be filtered to protect the interior much more. I love the look and it really streamlines the car. For reference, "limo tint" (the darkest available) is 5%.

Will post pictures later.
Finally...
Attached Thumbnails
PJ at Tritex.jpg  

Old 07-08-2011

Default Seats done!

Thanks to Tritex, the PJ Corbeau seats are successfully complete!

They look and feel GREAT!

Just what I was envisioning and imagined would feel.

They help to get the driver more connected with the driving experience, very supportive.

Last edited by MrClean; 07-10-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2011

I've also updated the side decals to match the original 1970 Boss 302 decal.

Terrible photo (for now)...

Here's a better photo.

Last edited by MrClean; 07-10-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2011
Administrator

Looks great! How do the seats feel?
Old 07-10-2011

Default Seat Feel

Quote:
Looks great! How do the seats feel?
In a word, GREAT!

Gone is the hard, unforgiving feeling the original seats have.

Increased bolstering grabs you while in the seat, holding you in place, comfortably.

Height and vision seems to be identical to the original seats.

These seats are just what the PJ needed in my humble opinion.

I'm very happy with them, and I find myself wanting to drive the car more.
Old 07-11-2011
SOEC Member (Inactive)

oh man! Those seats look amazing! Nice
Old 07-12-2011

Smile

Quote:
oh man! Those seats look amazing! Nice
Thanks Neo!

I forgot to mention one important aspect of this enhancement, weight!

The PJ seats have yet to be weighed accurately, but I can tell there is a huge difference!

The Corbeau seats weigh 27 lbs each and I have to guess the PJ stock seats are on the order of 50-60 lbs each.

I do plan to weigh the stock seats and get an exact figure, but I feel safe saying these seats reduced the weight of the car by 50 lbs.

So, in a way, seats are a performance modification.

1. by holding you in place and connecting you more to the driving experience to get more out of the car.
2. reducing weight

Old 07-13-2011
Saleen Forums Participant

The seats look perfect and how they should have come stock. Really nice work!

I'm wondering what you did in regards to the airbag light after changing the stock seats?
Old 07-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
The seats look perfect and how they should have come stock. Really nice work!

I'm wondering what you did in regards to the airbag light after changing the stock seats?
Thanks for the compliment kaiser! Tritex and I worked well together and their team did great work, especially Richard (the guy that took the design to reality).

As for the airbag warning light...

Prior to the seat swap, I did some research into this important matter and was confident this could be resolved. Currently, I'm pursuing a solution that utilizes the necessary OEM airbag delete resistor module that plugs into the existing wire harness.

More to come with this work.

Here is a picture of the module.
Attached Thumbnails
7R33-14B422-AB CHKMC.jpg  

Last edited by MrClean; 07-15-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2011

Default UPDATE: ACTUAL WEIGHT REDUCTION (50 lbs.)

Quote:
I forgot to mention one important aspect of this enhancement, weight!

The PJ seats have yet to be weighed accurately, but I can tell there is a huge difference!

The Corbeau seats weigh 27 lbs each and I have to guess the PJ stock seats are on the order of 50-60 lbs each.

I do plan to weigh the stock seats and get an exact figure, but I feel safe saying these seats reduced the weight of the car by 50 lbs.
For those inquiring minds...

I finally got the original PJ seats back home and used a bathroom scale to weigh them.

The DS seat (motorized) was 57 lbs.
The PS seat (manual) was 47 lbs.

Together they weighed 104 lbs!

The new seats each weigh 27 lbs for a total of 54 lbs.

That is a weight reduction of exactly 50 lbs!

I've read the PJ Mustang curb weight is approximately 3550 lbs.

Therefore, if this figure is accurate, this seat swap has reduced the PJ weight to approximately 3500 lbs (curb weight).

Last edited by MrClean; 07-15-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2011
SOEC Member

As for the airbag warning light...

Prior to the seat swap, I did some research into this important matter and was confident this could be resolved. Currently, I'm pursuing a solution that utilizes the necessary OEM airbag delete resistor module that plugs into the existing wire harness.

More to come with this work.

I am also interested in the airbag light as a few people have looked at mine and i spent some time on the forums trying to find a way, but got nothing that really worked. I also tried contacting Ford about the module or for them to disable the warning but also without any support.
I removed my seats and installed a set of Sparco Monza seats last year.
Old 08-13-2013
SOEC Member

Your seats look great. Wish they did that new from Saleen.
Old 04-15-2016
SOEC Member

Just an update on those Corbeau seats
They are certainly an improvement on original seats.
I took a sensor out of another Mustang seat and had it fitted to Brenda's passenger seat, works well and wasn't expensive to have fitted by a motor trimmer.

Tony
1966 Shelby GT-350 LHD
Old 04-27-2016
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie-Parnelli View Post
Just an update on those Corbeau seats
They are certainly an improvement on original seats.
I took a sensor out of another Mustang seat and had it fitted to Brenda's passenger seat, works well and wasn't expensive to have fitted by a motor trimmer.

Tony
That's great. Those seats are awesome.

06-115 / S281 3V / SuperShaker / AirLift / Zenetti Baron forged / JDM / 3M Liquid Copper Wrap
Old 05-17-2016
SOEC Member

Hi "MrClean"

I read your post about installing the Corbeau seats in your PJ a couple of years ago. And I am now re-visiting your thread.

I am thinking about installing some Recaro seats in my PJ (not the Boss Recaros) and I had some questions, not about the electrical changes required, but about the actual Corbeau physical installation.

1. Did you use Corbeau seat brackets or similar?

2. Did you use Corbeau Sliders or similar?

3. Or were you able to adapt the Corbeau seats to the stock PJ sliders and seat brackets?

4. What did you use or how were you able to get the Corbeau seat bottom cushion height back to approximating the stock PJ bottom seat cushion height?

4. Any other details that would help with the physical installation would help.

thank you.

Last edited by jrcalvin; 05-17-2016 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added question