The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition Or as Parnelli likes to call them, for "the Parnelli Jones/Saleen Limited Edition."

Old 05-28-2017
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Potential Newbie with Q's: S302 PJ

Good evening, I've lurked on the forum before, and I'm finally in a position to get into a mustang again, and I think the Saleen PJ is one of the best looking mustangs ever produced. That and the 67 gt fastback.

I am more a NA type of guy vs the blower route, and the new Boss 302 (2013) is also on the radar, but doesn't really have the looks of the PJ. Big fan of the shaker as well. Had it on the 03 mach 1.

Now that I am older and time is non-existent with young kids, I like the idea of not having to build a car, but have one that has the big ticket items done, a complete package(engine and suspension). I have a project car, but want to get into something I can just drive, take to the local car shows, that there are not thousands running around, and has some get up and go. Doesn't have to be GT 500 power.

I have had a 2001 cobra, with 2000 cobra r suspension installed, 4.10 gears,aluminum flywheel, exhaust and dyno tune along with a 2003 mach 1 with 4.10 gears, upgraded axles,exhaust and dyno tune.

I have searched the forums, so most questions can be answered with the search feature, however I do have some questions that hopefully some will chime in to answer.

Using the above referenced stangs, how does the PJ compare real world in handling, power and build quality?

Some say the Pj is a high 12sec car,RT has it mid 13, high 4's for 0-60. I would do headers, cats, cai and dyno tune, so based on others experience I would be content with 360RWHP. With the built motor and $$ one can always do a blower down the road.

Handling is important as well. Moreso for the spirited early sunday local drives, and maybe the occasional track day. I would hope it handles as well as my previous 01 cobra.

Is this vintage(2007) mustang a rattle trap in general?

Lastly how good/bad are the seats for a few hr trip? Say someone about to turn 50, good health, about 5'-7", no real back issues? Are they really uncomfortable or generally ok. They look nice, but.....

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Old 05-29-2017
Administrator

Good day! Welcome to the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl01 View Post
Using the above referenced stangs, how does the PJ compare real world in handling, power and build quality?
The 2007 PJ is a very nice street car with mature handling and power. Build quality is/was better than some previous generation Saleen models.

Quote:
Some say the Pj is a high 12sec car,RT has it mid 13, high 4's for 0-60. I would do headers, cats, cai and dyno tune, so based on others experience I would be content with 360RWHP. With the built motor and $$ one can always do a blower down the road.
I believe historically... there was/is not much to gain power wise with bolt-ons. A custom tune may be of benefit since Saleen built these as a 50 state legal vehicle that had to survive a warranty period. The old SuperShaker post-title supercharger package added the most "bang-for-the-buck."

Forum member Bruce had a mildly modified PJ with long-tubes, H-pipe, air induction... then went for the SuperShaker kit when it was released.

Quote:
Handling is important as well. Moreso for the spirited early sunday local drives, and maybe the occasional track day. I would hope it handles as well as my previous 01 cobra.
Before you track a PJ, make sure your new PJ has the TSB upgrade kit for the watts-link. Some PJ owners had this service completed, some did not. All should have it. An easy way to see, look for a black tubular support bar that ties both rear frame rails together.

Quote:
Is this vintage(2007) mustang a rattle trap in general?
No. Solid with no rattles.

Quote:
Lastly how good/bad are the seats for a few hr trip? Say someone about to turn 50, good health, about 5'-7", no real back issues? Are they really uncomfortable or generally ok. They look nice, but...
The OE seats are/were refoamed by Saleen. Both the bottom and seat back. The foam is stiff. For me... I feel the seats after 2 hours... other than that... smooth sailing highway car with burbling exhaust with little freewheeling in 5th gear.

FYI: The 2008 H302 keeps the stock Ford seat foam and places a Saleen designed leather cover over it.
Old 05-29-2017
SOEC Member

Hi tb101 and welcome

I own and have owned a number of S197 Mustangs and believe me I just love driving Brenda's #45 have tracked it a couple of times and handles well.
It has the Super Shaker and tune no other engine mods, really want to keep it street friendly unlike my '06 racer.
The seats are definitely firm, but luckily for us a previous PJ owner had a pair of Corbeau seats modified to Parnelli trim colours he never used and we purchased them from him.....huge improvement.
As David said check Watts Link and replace center bolt with a 12.8 Cap Head bolt, we have had several break.
The Extreme S302E is an absolute power house and I also love driving it but feel the style and performance of the PJ is a bit more refined.
Still have original seats in #46 but has only done 1000 miles and never registered in Australia.
The Parnellis are definitely well built and assembled no real issues at all.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
PJ Corbeau Seats.jpg  

2008 Extreme S302E #02 RHD Saleen Demo/Press
Parnelli Jones #45 Super Shaker RHD
Parnelli Jones #46 Super Shaker RHD
Parnelli Jones #407 Super Shaker RHD (SOLD)
'06 GT Coupe "Saleen Racer" RHD
1970 GT-HO Falcon Phase 2 Owned since new
1966 Shelby GT-350 LHD
1965 TBird Conv. 429SCJ Drag Pak 4 speed
Old 05-29-2017

Thank you both Dave and A-P for responding. Nice stable's your both tending!!

It's interesting that two words came to mind to describe the car by two different people. "Mature and refined" Those are two words that really describe what I'm looking for at this time and was happy to read the descriptions.

It is great to hear that the car typically has a better "build quality" and not a "rattle" bucket so to speak. That would make me crazy.

On the HP. If I can gain 10% RWHP with headers,cai and a tune. That would be a nice bump, and the videos I have heard of the PJ with headers would suit me better then fine.

As far as the watts link, if the tsb was not completed, tsb parts are most likely not available, so baring installing a whole new watts link, is there aftermarket options( upgraded bolts, multiple posts ) that can be used to achieve the same result?

Seats, I guess can always be fixed in some sort of fashion, but since the car would not see long trips too often, I would probably be fine for short jaunts.

Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated!
1967 GT Fastback
Old 05-29-2017
Administrator

Quote:
As far as the watts link, if the tsb was not completed, tsb parts are most likely not available, so baring installing a whole new watts link, is there aftermarket options( upgraded bolts, multiple posts ) that can be used to achieve the same result?
Yes.

You may try velocity_products and/or SaleenCars84 on eBay for Watts-link Gen I TSB kit. Or see if they have a complete Watts-link Gen II kit. You may also try a1 Motorsports in Michigan.

Posts about bolt breakage:

* http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=20767

* http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=4672

* http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=15873

The Watts-link offered by WhiteLine is one step up from the Saleen OE unit, but similar in design. After this, most other watts kits are competition use.

(Attached photo of Saleen Watts-Link Generation II kit)
Attached Thumbnails
06-1007-A176740.jpg  

Old 05-30-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

The upgraded bolts for the Watts Link are easy.. Check McMaster Carr for the correct sizes. There's many posts about it. If you track the car you'll have to check the center pivot bolt regularly, but for street use probably hardly at all.

Tony, (Aussie-Parnelli) gave me all the info I needed to upgrade mine, including the good tip to find brass tipped set screws for the center pivot bolts

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017

So I got some answers back regarding the car. it appears the tires may be original, and the Saleen TSB for the Watts link was never done.

Is it correct to assume that upgrading the bolts on the Gen 1, is not an acceptable fix, and I would end up going for a whiteline?

I'm guessing the tires are going to cost some $$. The car is not close by, so I cant just go and see it on the weekend. The car looks exceptional clean, and low miles and has all the documentation. The price seems to be in the correct range I have seen on the forums.

I appreciate all the responses, its a big help.
1967 GT Fastback
Old 05-31-2017

Check your PM's. I just sent you info on my Parnelli Jones car I'm selling. It's listed here in the for sale Forum also.

Here is the link to the market listing with pictures.

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=21320
Old 05-31-2017

Hi All

The Saleen watts link TSB corrective parts were still available six ago months through Saleen/Speedlabs in Michigan. They may still have some. I purchased my parts for about $100.00 plus shipping.

I also wanted to keep my PJ original.

I did however look up the watts link used for the Saleen/Folmer mustang, it uses the Whiteline watts link. So I bought a Whiteline, in case I ever decide to track the PJ.

I track my 2014 Shelby GT500. I put a Cortex Watts link on that car. Side by side, the Whiteline is a lesser quality product compared to the Cortex, but the next best thing to a Cortex.

Note however the Saleen TSB pivot bolt replacement is the same grade (10.8) as the original. My only guess is that a harder bolt may brake the diff cover since there is only one support for the pivot bolt. Unlike Watts links of today.

Steve
Old 05-31-2017

Thanks SCALECRAFT, I called Saleen today, spoke to someone, who said they would have someone call before the end of the day. NADA.

Will try again tomorrow. That would be great if they have an additional kit.
1967 GT Fastback
Old 05-31-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks SCALECRAFT, I called Saleen today, spoke to someone, who said they would have someone call before the end of the day. NADA.

Will try again tomorrow. That would be great if they have an additional kit.
I would not expect Saleen Automotive in Corona, CA to stock TSB watts-link kits.

It is a very long story, but the over-stock and leftover Saleen parts inventory pre-2010 is in Michigan.
Old 05-31-2017

If you called Saleen in Corona California, you wasted your time.

Their response to me was "that was Saleen" which went BK, we are Saleen International".

And "we did not keep any of the parts or drawings for the watts link TSB".

Not much help.

I will look for my original invoice and post the info. Unless the Gentleman from this form who gave the info sees this thread. He is very helpful with these PJs.

Steve
Old 06-01-2017

It was a 888 number listed in MI, but clearly routed out to Cali. IF anyone has a direct number please let me know.
1967 GT Fastback
Old 06-01-2017

Saleen did get back to me and they gave me two vendors that may have old" stock"
JDM and 281 Motorsports. I called JDM, they were nice enough to take my info, and they were going to have someone who has been there from the start give me a ring in the am. They knew exactly what I was looking for, for the Watts system. Hopefully I'll be able to track down the place in MI mentioned in the posts.

The good news is it looks like they can accept my offer, and I should be the proud owner of PJ-0347 very soon. All paperwork, Saleen Plaque signed by the team, brochures, service records, etc. Car is almost brand new.

I'm really excited and thankful to be able to find and purchase a PJ. I have wanted one for a long time. Just turned 50 today, so its a nice way to start the next 50!!

I appreciate all the info, and willingness to help out with my questions!!
1967 GT Fastback
Old 06-02-2017

Well, they accepted my offer, I offered to put down a deposit, they never requested one, told me they would contact me and the manger calls me and said they took a deposit from someone elese after they agreed to sell me the car??. Even though they agreed via email to accept my offer a day before.

I think I have seen it all. They are trying to hang there hat on a deposit, but they accepted my offer and never asked for one, even though I asked do you want a deposit. All documented. I'm pi$$ed to say the least. To me that's a binding agreement, if they accept an offer and tell you they will follow up for the next steps. No mention of a deposit, even though offered. No returned calls nada.
1967 GT Fastback
Old 06-02-2017
SOEC Member

I would lose my religion on those people. That's infuriating.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2017

That Sucks.

Although it hurts, like loosing a nice GF, (almost) you'll find another.

Don't be discouraged. You still have the money.

Mine took 6 months to get a pink slip and I paid cash.. I thought I got scammed.

I'm the second owner. I did't do anything to it. Just stored it till I owned it.

I did say....." I have been advised by DMV to open a DMV investigation into the sale" to get people to move on the paper work. Got it done in around 2 weeks after paper work was in.

I don't think you have any legal recourse.

I would move on and keep looking. The internet can find another one.

Have your favorite beverage, and start looking again.

Steve
Old 06-02-2017

Yeah, I just about lost it, and it Sucks the big one. The fact that they were sending me additional pics of saleen window sticker ,saleen plaque and how sweet it will be as bday this morning even made it worse. No calls returned nada.
I was starting to wonder if someone was following this post, was on the fence on the car and saw that they didn't ask for a deposit and zipped in last min.

I'm still tweaked, though lots of beverages tomorrow at the 50th bash. Family and friends and lots of Margureita's. The real important stuff.

Possible legal recourse if I wanted to stir the pot,(spoke to my attorney ) then that would tweak the new future owner, time wasted, and decided not my style.

Just another stereotypical car dealer. The good ones get the bad rap from bottom feeders.

Just settled down, and started looking again. Part of problem is many priced way too high and just sitting. Contacted one dealer has low mileage but priced at $40k?

Something will shake loose. Moving on, sorry for the bit of ranting. Just sucks.
Enjoy the evening Gents!
1967 GT Fastback
Old 06-02-2017
Administrator

07-0449PJ

Sitting at dealer since late last summer. Offer 30K.

http://www.wrightcars.com/
Attached Images

Last edited by Dave; 06-02-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2017

LOL, I did just after my last post.
1967 GT Fastback
Old 06-04-2017

So just for the sake of information, what was the accepted offer on the lost one?

Thanks
Steve
Old 06-04-2017
SOEC Member

Well Happy​ 5.0! I'm a '67 model too. I'll catch up in September. ;-)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2017

The accepted offer was 31k. It was listed at 31.5, and I assume they got 31.5k which was asking price.
1967 GT Fastback
Old 06-06-2017

Thanks for Bday wishes. 1967 was a good year for cars.

So the dealership finally got back to me, I asked them a few questions about documentation and TSB, we had about 3 emails back and forth tonight, I had submitted a 31k offer with my original contact a few days ago, and after I reminded them I sent them an offer, then the tell me "we will be selling it to another buyer"?

So I guess? There treating the offer as not a real offer? Or they got a buyer in the 10 mins from my last email? Bizarre.
1967 GT Fastback
Old 06-06-2017

The internet has changed the game on buying/selling . Things happen very fast and a ton of people see it.

One must know as much about what their looking at and know a good deal. Did you loose this car for $500.00?

Even though the car your looking for is 10 years old and limited production, the internet will make it easy to find more, if not this week, the next.

Might even get a better one/price.

As for mine:

Mine found me June 2016.

I saw it from the corner of my eye while driving past a dealer lot that leases Toyota Prius's to Uber drivers. I was on a road I never take to go home. I had gone on this road to rent a Uhaul truck for a tenant who was being evicted by me, and could not afford the moving truck. (I will expedite unit recovery and avoid court if I can. He moved out before court date, I dropped the case.)

It had " NOT FOR SALE" on the dash. I walked into the office and asked "how NOT FOR SALE is the orange Mustang?".

It was the third one in two years I had ever seen in person. 5,000 miles and beautiful!!!! Still got my heart rate up!! Two years ago I never knew this version existed.

So luck made it so I could get one. The Third one I saw. It's the "charm" theory in action.

SO hang in there.

And Happy Bday.
Old 06-06-2017

SCALECRAFT, I should of mentioned I was talking about another one that DAVE posted a few days back. They are asking 39k.
The first one, I'm guessing it sold for asking. Yes, if you break it all the way down $500. I'm trying to forget it.

I'm going to take a break searching for a bit, an see what pops up down the road.

It always when your not looking you find something.
1967 GT Fastback
Old 06-13-2017

Well I am happy to report, after some more searching and some assistance from some members, I ended up putting down a deposit on PJ-219.

It was listed on ebay, and appears to be really clean:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322546644610...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Really nice seller. 2nd owner, really clean, take a look at undercarriage photo.
Took the axle out of the car and painted it, couldn't stand the rust. Detailed the undercarriage. He also said he made a custom belly pan, for the front since it did not look finished. The "boss" stickers are no longer on the car, he took them off since they were not original.

It will take a few weeks to get here logistically, but will be well worth the wait.
I'm pretty excited to say the least.

To be continued.
1967 GT Fastback
Old 06-14-2017

Congratulations. Also has the Watts link TSB corrective work part (s) on it.

If you take it to a car show, have a little description of what it is, many Mustang people don't know what this car is.

Enjoy

Steve
Old 06-22-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Congratulations on PJ-219!!.

I read your original post and I too am a big fan of 1) the PJ and 2) the 67 GT fastback. I have owned many Mustangs including a a 67 fastback and I currently own PJ-25. The PJ, to me, is the best overall performing Mustang I've had. Not the fastest, but the best all-around power, handling, braking, sound, looks... you WILL NOT be disappointed.

I thought about making some mods, like a super shaker.. but after talking to Steve Saleen at the Nationals he convinced me to LEAVE IT ALONE. If he wanted all that extra go-fast stuff on it he would have added it when he designed it. I think he wanted me to buy one of his other super charged rocket ships !! :big grin:

Welcome to the Saleen family. I have a list of PJ owners. If you want me to add you to the list, you can PM me your contact info and I can forward you what info I would need to add you to the list.

Good luck with the new PJ and be sure to post some pics.

Chris
Old 06-28-2017
Administrator

Published on Jun 28, 2017
Shipping 2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition Mustang from California to New York on 06/28/2007.
Old 06-28-2017

Cool. I have one and yet it's always exiting to see one!
Old 06-28-2017

Smile

You guys are quick. I just got the video today. I'm away on vacation.

The previous owner was nice enough to to do a pre-inspection video, and video of the transport loading the car. The battery was a little weak, and he was concerned the transporter may have a problem, so he installed a new Motorcraft Battery yesterday so there were no problems today. Kudos to Randy, who sold me the car, who really takes care of all his toys/equipment, and really is a first class gentleman!!

He really went above and beyond detailing the car, and making sure everything went as planned. As you can see in the video, the car really is exceptionally clean.

Looking forward to its arrival.
1967 GT Fastback
Old 07-05-2017

The Eagle has landed. The car was delivered today. No damage thank god. A little dusty, and a few speckles of grease, but all is good.

I was able to get an appointment at DMV late this afternoon, and get the car registered and a 10 day temp inspection sticker. ( which ended up flying out of the car soon after never to be seen again.)

HOLY SH$T. I can't even begin to say how awesome this car is for me. It has plenty of balls for me now. I haven't gotten into the top rpm range yet, but it will bark and get a little sideways on the 1-2 no problem. Reminds me of my 03 Mach 1( which had 4.10's, dyno tune, cai, axles, etc), and the PJ appears pulls harder to me.

The sound of the PJ, is the best sounding mustangs I have ever had the pleasure of owning. The previous owner told me that as well and he couldn't of been more right. Although on a really long trip, I could see the exhaust note being a little long in the tooth so to speak.

The powerband is definetely located on the higher rpm, but has enough low end grunt to get you around. Clutch is nice and tight, and a bit heavy.

Everything seems to be tight. About the only thing I noticed that I am going to look at this weekend, is the front brakes almost feel like they are grinding, even though there is plenty of pad. I am thinking I never had slotted rotors before and that might be the sound and feeling thru the brake pad.

Suspension is a little stiffer then expected, steering is a lighter then I like, but ok.

Car feels much lighter then it is.

Seat lumbar as I have read, is a little stiff, but certainly not an issue on at least a 30 min ride.

Engine is a little noisy, but I have heard worse. Temp seems to run maybe 190, oil pressure looks good, and right where it should be.

The car gets hot( in the cabin for sure). That is the only downside I have come across so far. I assume this is normal for all the PJ.

Will snap some photos this weekend when I have some time.

Thanks for everyones help with this process. I am very happy with the purchase.
1967 GT Fastback
Old 07-05-2017

Enjoy. The heat coming into the car I have not experienced. It maybe due to me driving on cool days only. Or always having the ac on. My front brakes were the same as you described. I have a 2014 Gt 500 and the brakes on that are awesome. So I went on ebay and bought 2014 GT 500 six piston Brembos with 15 rotors on front and the 14" Gt 500 rears. The fronts just bolted on, the rear use an adapter on the original caliper/pads.

Of course I kept the original Saleen front/rear, but for driving, I like the Shelby 500 brakes. Oh, the front barely clear the rim. But cleared.

Again congratulations and enjoy!

Steve
Old 07-06-2017
Administrator

Smile

Congratulations on your delivery!
Old 07-07-2017
SOEC Member

Congrats with the delivery of the Saleen PJ.
You will enjoy driving it.

Check out my facebook page of my Saleen PJ for brochures/video's and test articles about the Saleen PJ: https://www.facebook.com/SaleenParnelliJones/
1979 Mustang Indianapolis Pace Car
1979 Mustang Indianapolis Pace Car Go-kart
2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #161 of 500 (the only automatic PJ)

Last edited by Dutch-Twister; 07-07-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2017

Here is a couple of pics. One night shot when the car was delivered early in the day and two from a car show last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
p1.jpg  

p2.jpg  

p3.jpg  

1967 GT Fastback
Old 07-14-2017

Very clean.The only odd thing I noticed is that the front spoiler is not the same as mine. Mine is the OEM one. Unless they changed down the production line.Mine is #372.
Old 07-14-2017

Good catch. Ill have to folllow up with the previous owner. He actually made a custom belly pan, for the car, and the plate is attached so as not to touch the bumper and is not mounted to the bumper. I wonder if he took it off so he could mount the plate?

I wonder if he still has original?
1967 GT Fastback
Old 07-14-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALECRAFT View Post
Very clean.The only odd thing I noticed is that the front spoiler is not the same as mine. Mine is the OEM one. Unless they changed down the production line.Mine is #372.
The shorty front spoiler is OE for the 2007 H281 and 2008 H302. The 2007 S302 PJ, 2008 S302 SC and H281 SC Dan Gurney had the big/low spoiler .
Old 07-14-2017

I followed up with PO and he said it was scraped up pretty bad from entering his driveway ( slope) so he swapped it with replacement part. Which appears to be off the saleen heritage 302 series.

I'll have to keep an eye out for one.
1967 GT Fastback
Old 07-15-2017

I have been looking for a back up front spoiler. That thing is very hard to find! About as hard to find as new wheel caps!

Have not come across either one yet.