The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 12-14-2018
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: Pre-1989 Cars & CA SMOG

In my ongoing search for a Fox Body Saleen, my research has stumbled across a few CA specific related questions.

It appears the pre-89 Mustangs were all speed density (except CA 88 cars) and were 49 state cars.

Given the Saleen's were built in CA is this an issue for those vehicles as well?

Does anyone have any experience bringing in pre-88 Saleen to Ca from another state, and were you able to smog and register it?

Any help is appreciated.

C
Old 12-14-2018
Administrator

I believe most/all of the 1988 Saleen Mustang "pool cars" run Mass Air. These are cars ordered for Saleen in bulk from within California.

I have seen an "ordered" 1988 with factory Ford sunroof and Ford stereo (Pioneer delete) with MASS AIR that went to Pennsylvania when new. (I think I remember that.)

I don't know what triggered the MASS AIR in 1988. Could be cars with sale offices from California.

So, if you special ordered a yellow Saleen Mustang while standing at a dealer in Nebraska during 1988... car might come through with Speed Density.
Old 12-14-2018

Thank you for the excellent information. Do you happen to know if any of the members have any experience with brining a pre 88 car into CA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2018
SOEC Member

I had a lot to comment on the car you were considering that you posted to the link to yesterday, but on this topic I have nothing. Luckily for all the faults my state has, emissions starts to relax after 15 years.
Old 12-14-2018
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

The California DSO (71 or 72) triggered the 88 only mass airflow sensor. The 88 CA mass air has a different shaped plug than the 50 state 89 and later part that is oval in shape.

As far as I know, the smog process is no different than the regular process for passing smog. Depending where you live, the test process may be more stringent. Bay Area and Los Angeles areas have ‘enhanced’ testing standards, meaning the car has to be tested on a smog chassis dyno.

On cats, you have two options. OE 4 cat midpipes or the California compliant unit from Magnaflow.
Old 12-14-2018

Also, I have a 88 Saleen from Oregon, and the test is no different. The kicker is, the 49 state cars from 87-88 don’t have a ‘check engine’ light. The techs will check for it, and it’s not there.
Old 12-14-2018

I think you live in an ‘enhanced area’ so the techs will cause problems for you if there’s no light. It’s usually something you can explain and they’ll accept.
Old 12-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokn Nx View Post
I think you live in an ‘enhanced area’ so the techs will cause problems for you if there’s no light. It’s usually something you can explain and they’ll accept.

This is my concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2018

The 88 is the only year where there’s a problem with 49 state cars. The books they use innacurately show all cars with a check engine light.
Old 12-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokn Nx View Post
The 88 is the only year where there’s a problem with 49 state cars. The books they use innacurately show all cars with a check engine light.

It’s interesting. I’ve been doing a bunch of research, and it appears it’s still legal to bring it to California, as long as it’s used (over 7500 miles) and retains all the original smog equipment, and passes the tail pipe test.

There are a bunch of forum related discussions about it, but I can’t seem to find anyone who has done it.

I guess a phone call to the smog referee will clear it up. I’ll try Monday.

I was just curious if anyone had done it and what there experience was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk