The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-17-2009
Suspended Account

Default Q: Tork Tech Chargers - Anybody have one?

Anybody have one? Looking at their site, they look to be a good product.

After reading about the inherant limitation of the Series I/II chargers (as on my car), I'm thinking about an upgrade (well, and the necessary engine build up).
Old 03-17-2009
SOEC Member

Default Try this thread:

This guy is using his stock Series II on the Tork Tech intake and he has a couple of different threads. I believe the other is linked in this one:

http://mustangforums.com/forum/salee...r-install.html

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2009
Suspended Account

Ah, I've seen him around on StangNet. I may shoot him a message for some first-hand info.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2009
SOEC Member

Hey....that's me!

I'm going to post something on stangnet and here at soec when I get all the results in.

Got any specific questions on it? Are you looking at the full kit with Magnusson or TVS supercharger or just like what I have (intake side bolted to the series II s/c)? How much power do you ultimately want?

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 03-18-2009
Suspended Account

I'd love about 400 at the wheels and yes, I know what that entails...

I know the Series I/II has some significant limitations.

What is the possibility of the TT charger mounting on the Saleen manifold (dreaming, I know), or using the Saleen I/C? Reason I ask, it looks like about the same overal size/design of the Saleen...

I'll put my crack pipe down now. :D
Old 03-18-2009
SOEC Member

The tork Tech Charger that they use (the magnusson one) is essentially the same size as a cobra one (M112 eaton) and is longer than the series II (M90). I have the saleen supercharged hood (with the two vents on it) and I'm pretty sure there would be clearance issues with the longer supercharger. I know you have to modify the stock GT hood to get it to fit. You would need their manifold as well because the supercharger base is longer.

If you're looking for about 400 to the wheels....stay tuned. I'm getting my car tuned as we speak and will know whether that's attainable with a series II in a couple weeks.

I'm expecting around 390rwhp and some really good gains on low end torque. I'm out to prove that you can still use a series II and get around 400!

What did you mean about using the saleen intercooler?

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
TorkTech Intake
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings

Last edited by eviligloo; 03-18-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2009
Suspended Account

Disregard the intercooler comment. I'm just looking for a little more oomph, without the hassles of upgrading rods/etc.

So by all means, keep me informed on your tuning results. Your path sounds like the way to go.

The only real reason I picked 400, is because it's a nice round number. :)

That, and what I've been reading over the last year (since I got the car), that's about as far as you want to go without changing internals.
Old 04-21-2009
SOEC Member

400 is attainable with a series II. i just got my car dyno tuned (again, she was running kinda rough) and im putting down 395 hp and 425 ft lb tq on stock internals.
02 S281 S/C #771
CHICANE INTERCOOLER
90MM LIGHTNING MAF
SALEEN SERIES IV S/C INTAKE
KB BOOST-A-PUMP
CHICANE 66MM PULLEY
ACCUFAB 75MM TB
GATORBACK BELT
MSD COP (COIL OVER PLUG)
BBK LONG TUBES
BBK OFF ROAD X PIPE
PRO 5.0 SHORT THROW SHIFTER
3.73 GEARS
SCT TUNED BY FAST SPECIALTIES - VANCOUVER, WA
Old 04-22-2009
SOEC Member

Nice! What other mods do you have besides the ones listed? Also....what's an MSD COP by the way?

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
TorkTech Intake
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Old 04-22-2009
SOEC Member

msd cop= coil over plug. each plug has their own coil pack.

sorry i havent updated my signature in awhile... ive been in school for the past two months, and besides the ones listed... tork teck intake plenum, chicane 66mm pulley, kb boost a pump, 3.73's.

looking at your mods i would say you would be in the ball park. its that tork tech intake that gave me the big tq #.

sad to say im at the limit til i get some forged goodies..
02 S281 S/C #771
CHICANE INTERCOOLER
90MM LIGHTNING MAF
KB BOOST-A-PUMP
CHICANE 66MM PULLEY
ACCUFAB 75MM TB
GATORBACK BELT
MSD COP (COIL OVER PLUG)
BBK LONG TUBES
BBK OFF ROAD X PIPE
3.73 GEARS
Old 04-22-2009
SOEC Member

So you still have the stock fuel pump and a KB boost a pump? How did you get the accufab 75mm TB to fit with the intake plenum....or did you just convert everything to the oval throttle body and use their air filter?

Any pictures of your engine bay?

How was your traction after getting the tork tech intake plenum put on? Did you spin your wheels a lot more?

My car should be going to the dyno tomorrow or friday. Can't wait to see what it does and how it drives.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
TorkTech Intake
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Old 04-30-2009
SOEC Member

eviligloo... sorry for the delay, i just finished school and drove across the country to get home.

ok so lets answer those questions... the kb boost a pump just plugs in in line. same ole stock fuel pump. no issues.

and a disclaimer.. im really new to the mustang scene let alone a saleen. so some of my info was based on what the tuner told me. now that im home i went back to my tuner and asked what s/c intake they put on. cuz after looking at the tork tech pics things werent adding up. my reciept from the tuner said "tork tech intake" but when i asked them they said it wasnt a tt intake and the receipt said that because they didnt have the one they put on in the system. get this... its kinda custom. the receipt was only for like 350 bucks. the built an adapter plate and put a series iv intake on it. it had a tremendous increase in tq (+38) so i never really questioned it.

traction is great for me. partially due to the kickass tires... but it does break free with alot less effort. not that it took alot to begin with.

i dont have a new pic yet... i havent unpacked my camera from my household good shipment.. so the old pic i have doesnt have the pulley on it.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Timmy/Pictures/engine%20bay.jpg[/IMG]if this didnt work the pic is attached

my tuner (fast specialties, vancouver, wa) strongly advised i just upgrade to the TT full system. ya know that old series II is at its limit. im thinking about it. but i need some stronger internals first.

oh if only money grew on trees...
Attached Images

02 S281 S/C #771
CHICANE INTERCOOLER
90MM LIGHTNING MAF
KB BOOST-A-PUMP
CHICANE 66MM PULLEY
ACCUFAB 75MM TB
GATORBACK BELT
MSD COP (COIL OVER PLUG)
BBK LONG TUBES
BBK OFF ROAD X PIPE
3.73 GEARS
Old 05-01-2009
Suspended Account

I hear ya on the money tree thing....

$4000 for the TT kit. Then you have internals. Then, you should probably think of paying someone to help you. :D

Of course, in my situation, I've got two friends that are mechanics, so the labor might only be a few cases of beer....

My car's only got 17000 miles on the clock, I'm not sure it's worth it hacking into it's bits just yet.

As my friend asked when I was talking about it: "Why, is something broken in it?"

hah. Kinda put it into perspective/reality.
Old 05-01-2009
SOEC Member

I just got my results from installing the Tork Tech Intake, Chicane Intercooler, and 42lb injectors.

387 RWHP / 394 RWTQ

conservative tune
14 degrees of timing (same as stock saleen tune)
A/F ratio 11.8 until higher RPM's....then it's 11.6.

Before:

During Install

After Install:

Dyno Sheet with Conservative Tune and Stock Saleen Timing: (Red line is before the mods, Blue line is after)
Attached Thumbnails
Dyno Sheet.jpg  

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
TorkTech Intake
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Old 05-01-2009
SOEC Member

Recap

The numbers are pretty sweet but they're only one part of the equation. I decided to go with a conservative tune and keep the timing the same as what saleen has stock. This will ultimately "hurt" the final numbers. If you check out performance autosport's install of the chicane intercooler...they added several degrees of timing after install and came up with their numbers. I did not.

You can make dyno numbers look incredible by tweaking a bunch of factors. I did not pack ice, spray nitrous, use race gas, leave my car on the dyno overnight to let it cool, dyno it on a different dyno, or any number of things to inflate the results. My tech dynoed it after driving it 35 minutes to the dyno, strapping it down, and hitting it immediately (no cool down). It was done under virtually the same conditions (temp, humidity, etc) as the previous time to get a good comparison.

Honest results..that's the "gloo promise!"

Things to note:

The accelerator sits lower now than it did in the stock position because of a different length throttle cable for the single blade throttle body. Took about an hour to get used to....then I liked it.

After the addition of the Tork Tech intake and TB.....the supercharger is now louder (because of more air) and has a slight "woosh" sound when I get into boost because of the single blade. Sounds freakin awesome. I'll get a video this weekend if the weather clears up.

If you have the LFP supertank, the heat shield for the air filter will not fit (this is an optional piece you can buy). I even relocated the supertank farther to the right to give the air filter clearance and it still would not fit.

Installation by someone that hasn't done this before will be a real pain. Tork Tech doesn't mail you instructions. You can download some from their website, but the are for installing the FULL KIT with the M112 supercharger on a MUSTANG GT. The saleen is configured differently than the GT and things like the EGR adapter, heater hose, etc. will give you problems.

Also...the saleen series II sits farther back than an M112, so clearance at the back of the engine bay can/will be an issue. My firewall had to be cut into and then repainted in order to get the kit to fit. Even then it still just barely fits.....and I mean barely.

Your tech will be sifting through hundreds of hoses at your local auto parts store trying to find some that will fit (no hoses are included with the kit). Also...the instructions tell you what to do but not how to accomplish it in many cases.

Review of the Tork Tech Kit

Install is a royal pain as specified above. Not much help from Tork Tech.

After driving the car last night I had one thought:

"Holy $*%&!" Scary fast.

The throttle response is unbelievable. Here's a reenactment:

-Stock to Accufab 75mm TB: "ooh...that's nice"
-Stock to large single blade oval TB: "oh WOW! this
should be illegal."

Kinda weird....but if you look at the dyno chart..I actually gained more torque after 3,200 RPM's than I did before 3,200. I thought it would be the reverse with this kit. It's weird to be cruising in 4th gear and be able to punch it with a roots supercharger!

The driveability of my car is much improved. Now when I hit the gas it really wants to take off.

So that's my review. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try and get videos up as soon as I can.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
TorkTech Intake
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Old 05-01-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh60timmy View Post

cuz after looking at the tork tech pics things werent adding up. my reciept from the tuner said "tork tech intake" but when i asked them they said it wasnt a tt intake
Thanks for the info! It looks like we're talking about two different things here. I have the entire tork tech intake side with oval throttle body and intake plenum that bolts to the back of the s/c. It looks like from your picture that you have a 75mm throttle body and the series IV intake with a larger filter. Possibly also the series IV intake plenum...but I can't quite tell from the picture.

Fud:

I evaluated upgrading to the entire tork tech kit but I'm not going to be forging my engine in the future. With that in mind....it would be a lot more money than I spent for not much HP gain. I hit 387 rwhp on a very conservative tune with no timing gains over stock.

One other note: you have to change out your hood in order to fit the M112 supercharger with the full tork teck kit. I like my saleen S/C hood. So tack on another $500 or so (plus prep and painting) just for that.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
TorkTech Intake
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Old 05-01-2009
Suspended Account

yeah. The hood thing is just one of the many factors involved.

There's no such thing as "one mod".

You change one thing, you have to upgrade another to compensate for it, which in turn needs a third item beefed up...

It's a viscious cycle, my bank account can't handle that sort of abuse. Or, sell a kidney and drop $7000 in the full TT kit, internals, tune, and new clutch/flywheel. :D
Old 07-21-2010
SOEC Member

Just wanted to post a follow up a little over a year after I installed the Tork Tech kit. I recently had a smell of coolant in my car. It turns out the heater core was leaking into the compartment.

I don't know all the details yet, but apparently a combination of the bend in the heater hose that's required to be able to install this TT kit and the combination of the torque from the motor caused the heater core to fail and start leaking.

So the supercharger and intake are coming off again and a new solution has to be engineered in order to extend the length of the heater hose so there isn't as sharp of a bend.

It took a long time to find the right sized fittings to get the Tork Tech kit to work. Now something may have to be fabricated/welded on to fix the problem.

Could be pricey. I'll keep everyone posted.

PS-heater core diagnosis and replacement alone was about $1000.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
TorkTech Intake
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Old 07-21-2010
SOEC Member

Good luck with that. Sorry to hear about the set back.
Old 07-21-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

my buddy just did the tork tech kit on his car with the 03 cobra blower swap. That set up looks awsome lots of work but it fits awsome. However the kit should have a way bigger intercooler tank. even with only 10psi i was i could not get this car cool for the tune act temps were in the 130s ony 14 deg spark up top we were at 370 438 torque with stock cats. cool air alone 400hp.

00gt 10k on the clock saleen s4 blower and full saleen body kit. 2.76 upper, 42's , 90mm maf, 75mm tb, focus pump. high flow cats, stock gt exhaust, 31splines and 373's. best et without body kit was 11.9 at 116mph on et streets. 1.60 sixty foot. way more to come out of this combo sct tuned by me.
Old 07-28-2010
SOEC Member

Update: heater core is fixed. The heater hose was lengthened and rerouted a little bit, but that may or may not have been the reason the heater core started leaking.

Oh well. At least my car is fixed.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
TorkTech Intake
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Old 11-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviligloo View Post
I just got my results from installing the Tork Tech Intake, Chicane Intercooler, and 42lb injectors.

387 RWHP / 394 RWTQ

conservative tune
14 degrees of timing (same as stock saleen tune)
A/F ratio 11.8 until higher RPM's....then it's 11.6.

Before:

During Install

After Install:

Dyno Sheet with Conservative Tune and Stock Saleen Timing: (Red line is before the mods, Blue line is after)
These are some really good numbers. I constantly try to defend the series 2 units on social media where many people say they weren't able to make over 300hp with them. Even if they require some help with cooling and the restrictive inlet, its awesome almost 6+ years ago you were able to crank out thosen numbers.
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme
Old 08-30-2017

Could this fit on a series 4?
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme