The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1994-1998 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1994-1998 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 05-20-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: 1995 auxiliary gauge replacements?

What does everyone suggest I purchase to replace both R gauge pod gauges?

The FP is dead, so I plan to take both out and buy matching gauges.

Does anyone repair these old gauges?

Is the fuel pressure mechanical? I thought yes, but just wanted confirmation.

How do you remove them safely?

Many thanks.

Dan
Old 05-20-2015
Administrator

These are mechanical VDO gauges from their Cockpit series.

The gauges can be rebuilt.
Old 05-21-2015

Default removal of pod

Thanks Dave. Best way to remove the gauge pod? Thank you
Old 05-21-2015
Saleen Forums Participant

I got my gauges rebuilt by North Hollywood Speedometer (http://www.nhspeedometer.com). They put the Saleen dial faces in new VDO cockpit series gauges. Was not that expensive either. The fuel gauge is mechanical. It uses a fuel pressure isolator to avoid running fuel into the cab. The isolator can be found here:

http://www.autometer.com/high-pressu...r-300-psi.html

The isolator uses a line filled with antifreeze and a diaphragm to send pressure to the gauge, rather than raw fuel running to the gauge in the cab. My gauge was dying and I discovered when I removed the line to the back of it, there was no antifreeze in the line. I bought a new isolator kit and installed it and my gauge still does not work. The isolator kits are junk IMO. They have to be installed perfectly without spilling any of antifreeze in order to work properly. Any air in the line will cause the gauge to not work or read incorrectly.

Removing the pod involves removing nuts under the dash that holds the pod down. Mine came out fairly easy because it was missing some of the nuts.

I got an Autometer pod to replace mine since it was damaged and torn due to a previous owner trying to glue in the gauges or something. It was a mess. The Autometer pod is hard plastic and not soft to touch like the Saleen pod. It also installs differently. I can't get mine to fit properly.

I would suggest if you get new gauges, make sure they are not long. North Hollywood Speedometer called me asking if I wanted the longer or shorter gauge, I said longer, not thinking it would make a difference. However, now my fuel gauge line doesn't clear the hole in the dash so the pod cannot be mounted properly.

Hope this all makes sense. Goodluck.
Old 05-21-2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by footnfan View Post
Thanks Dave. Best way to remove the gauge pod? Thank you
I don't recall if remove the stereo head unit helps with access.
Old 05-22-2015

Default many thanks

I think it does Dave and thank you.

Weekend project! First, the dyno tune later this afternoon.

Dan
Old 05-22-2015
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigmob View Post
I got my gauges rebuilt by North Hollywood Speedometer (http://www.nhspeedometer.com). They put the Saleen dial faces in new VDO cockpit series gauges. Was not that expensive either. The fuel gauge is mechanical. It uses a fuel pressure isolator to avoid running fuel into the cab. The isolator can be found here:

http://www.autometer.com/high-pressu...r-300-psi.html

The isolator uses a line filled with antifreeze and a diaphragm to send pressure to the gauge, rather than raw fuel running to the gauge in the cab. My gauge was dying and I discovered when I removed the line to the back of it, there was no antifreeze in the line. I bought a new isolator kit and installed it and my gauge still does not work. The isolator kits are junk IMO. They have to be installed perfectly without spilling any of antifreeze in order to work properly. Any air in the line will cause the gauge to not work or read incorrectly.

Removing the pod involves removing nuts under the dash that holds the pod down. Mine came out fairly easy because it was missing some of the nuts.

I got an Autometer pod to replace mine since it was damaged and torn due to a previous owner trying to glue in the gauges or something. It was a mess. The Autometer pod is hard plastic and not soft to touch like the Saleen pod. It also installs differently. I can't get mine to fit properly.

I would suggest if you get new gauges, make sure they are not long. North Hollywood Speedometer called me asking if I wanted the longer or shorter gauge, I said longer, not thinking it would make a difference. However, now my fuel gauge line doesn't clear the hole in the dash so the pod cannot be mounted properly.

Hope this all makes sense. Goodluck.
Ditto what Kigmob said.
NHSpeedometer did me well on a recalibration of my boost gauge.
There were a couple of issues in the process, but they stepped up and dealt with it, taking responsibility and not trying to charge me for anything more than the original quoted price.

It's my understanding that NHS was the original supplier to Saleen for these components.
Old 05-22-2015

Thank you VERY much for the tips and suggestions. I will forge ahead!

Dan
Old 05-22-2015
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footnfan View Post
Thank you VERY much for the tips and suggestions. I will forge ahead!

Dan
Cool....hope to see it at the Nationals in Birmingham!
Old 07-24-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

What was the turn around time for them swapping the Saleen faces onto the new gauges? I have a 94-95 pod and the gauges and lenses are pretty beat up. They're local to me too.