The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Enthusiast Forums > Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Detailing Interior & Exterior Car Care discussions sponsored by Mothers Polishes-Waxes-Cleaners.

Old 02-25-2014
SOEC Member

Default Q: engine cleaning?

anyone ever cleaned a engine what is best to use on it?
Old 02-25-2014
SOEC Member

You should ask XxBoostinxX i know he does alot of detailing. Youll see his name around
Old 02-25-2014
Administrator

It somewhat depends on what you've got going on under the hood and what surfaces or stickers may be compromised from getting them wet.

A car wash solution and some detail brushing here and there... a diluted all-purpose cleaner if you need something stronger (maybe do a pre-soak before the wash). Rinse and blow dry with a shop vac, air compressor or electric leaf blower.

I like our Mothers Protectant diluted 1:2 or 1:3 with water in a fine misting sprayer... mist it everywhere and the water evaporates from engine heat, leaving a nice "new" luster.

You can also use our Mothers Reflections Tire Care (not diluted), which is what a friend who stopped by today uses on his Jeep TK... I haven't tried it myself, but the results speak for themselves... he likes the Reflections Tire Care because it dries a little less wet and it doesn't attract dust. He did this about 4 weeks ago, after his last serious trail ride... keep in mind this Jeep is a 2006, and is daily-driven and has run Moab, Pikes Peak, John Bull and lots of other trails... there's no shine like Mothers!
Attached Thumbnails
JeepTK_Engine_cropped.jpg  

JeepTK_cropped.jpg  

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 02-26-2014
SOEC Member

thanks jim
even with using a mist spray what should we cover up on our cars I know the alt but is everything else pretty much ok and sealed up first I should say I have a 04 so I know the alt should be covered up but anything else?
Old 02-26-2014
SOEC Member

Oh and I just have dirt pollen and dust going on, the car was down for a few months due to me putting some new parts on. and the motor just got a lil outta hand, I have no greese are oil on it. but was just trying to find a easy sulition to those hard to reach places. Ive used a air hose to try and blow it off but no luck, so I figured id go the route of actually giving it a bath to bring it back to new look.
Old 05-18-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

i need to clean my engine bay too but it needs some serious cleaning. it has some grease and oil build up on the motor but i am afraid to spray it with anything so i have let it go to this point. am i better off just letting it be?
Old 05-19-2014
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittybuilt View Post
i need to clean my engine bay too but it needs some serious cleaning. it has some grease and oil build up on the motor but i am afraid to spray it with anything so i have let it go to this point. am i better off just letting it be?

Try a product called CD2 engine detailer. Avoid all painted surfaces and stickers. Spray on a wet engine, then let it sit. Lastly, wipe off the excess. For really gunky motors, rinse the engine, spray CD2, scrub it, then rinse it off. Then apply CD2 as stated above.
Old 05-20-2014

I am not a fan I hosing down an engine. Warm soapy water, seal picks, different length screw drivers, rags and tons of patience. That's what's netted me the best results. And I use 303 Aerospace protectant to bring back the color on the black items (harnesses, caps, hoses, etc)
2000 S281 #032, 1 of 1
Old 05-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
I am not a fan I hosing down an engine. Warm soapy water, seal picks, different length screw drivers, rags and tons of patience. That's what's netted me the best results. And I use 303 Aerospace protectant to bring back the color on the black items (harnesses, caps, hoses, etc)

I am not a fan of it either, but CD2 made me a believer. I am very conservative with how I hose the engine down, and while I mostly detail an engine part by part, I fully recommend CD2 on a very gunky engine. Great stuff.
Old 05-22-2014

when talking about avoiding painted surfaces, are we talking about the firewall and inner fenders or painted surfaces outside of the engine bay. thanks for the advice.
Old 05-22-2014

I can't find that stuff anywhere.
Old 05-22-2014

Also, is this stuff a good degreaser or just detailer?
Old 05-22-2014
Administrator

Mothers Protectant (available at Ace Hardware or O'Reilly) or M-Tech Protectant by Mothers (available at AutoZone) is excellent for use in the engine compartment. I usually dilute it 1 part Protectant to 2 parts water in a fine misting sprayer.

Reflections Tire Care is available online... amazon has all of our products (except the exclusive-to-AutoZone M-Tech).

These products work best when you clean first with a diluted degreaser or other cleaner depending on your needs. It's not going to bother the engine bay paint unless you spray it on very very heavy.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 05-23-2014

Quote:
when talking about avoiding painted surfaces, are we talking about the firewall and inner fenders or painted surfaces outside of the engine bay. thanks for the advice.

I would avoid anything painted, i.e. inner fender aprons and firewall.
Old 05-23-2014

Quote:
Also, is this stuff a good degreaser or just detailer?

Yes, and yes. It also does a great job making the hoses all shiny, as well as adding a protectant to the rubber to prevent them from drying out.
Old 05-23-2014

Quote:
I can't find that stuff anywhere.

It can be hard to find. Let me check locally and see if I can find you a can. If so, I can pick you up a can and send it to you.

Incidentally, CD2 is probably not going to harm painted surfaces either, but it says to avoid painted surfaces on the can, so that is what I have always done.
Old 05-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
Mothers Protectant (available at Ace Hardware or O'Reilly) or M-Tech Protectant by Mothers (available at AutoZone) is excellent for use in the engine compartment. I usually dilute it 1 part Protectant to 2 parts water in a fine misting sprayer.

Reflections Tire Care is available online... amazon has all of our products (except the exclusive-to-AutoZone M-Tech).

These products work best when you clean first with a diluted degreaser or other cleaner depending on your needs. It's not going to bother the engine bay paint unless you spray it on very very heavy.

I have never used these products personally, but can tell you from experience that you cannot go wrong with anything Mother's! They make great stuff!
Old 05-24-2014

i found this stuff at big lots and bought 6 cans. i figured seeing i couldn't find it anywhere i would buy several cans. thanks.
Old 05-25-2014

Quote:
i found this stuff at big lots and bought 6 cans. i figured seeing i couldn't find it anywhere i would buy several cans. thanks.

Cool. Let me know what you think. Better yet, take before and after pics!