The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 12-10-2012
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Headers install

I found this set of instructions for the set of headers i want to install on my Saleen. They are instructions for 99-04 Cobra and 03-04 Mach1 http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/...04-install.pdf How much will these instructions differ for my Saleen or will they be pretty identical?
Thanks guys
Old 12-10-2012
SOEC Member

You can do it like that but you don't have to remove the K-member for the 2V. Just take off the two engine mount nuts and raise the engine. Unhook the steering knuckle so that it will slide between the tubes of the new header. You might want to take off the starter to give a little bit more room. Atleast this how I installed them on my 2V.
Old 01-02-2013

Was it a pretty big pain in the ***?
Old 01-03-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Here is a write up i did during mine, hope it helps.
http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthr...ight=Long+tube
Last dyno put me at 394 / 405 after the header install and aluminum drive shaft.
Tunable induction CAI|2.8 pulley|39# Injectors|05 Mustang GT pump|90mm MAF|75MM BBK-TB|Mosaleen idler|MAC Long tube headers|Mac Off road X|LFP-H/E and tank|Chicane I/C|5gpm pump|373 FRPP gears|NT555R 305/35ZR1|MGW shifter|FRPP Alum driveshaft|N2MB two step
86-0087
03-269 S281SC
92 LX coupe
92 LX convertible
Old 01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coderedsaleen View Post
You can do it like that but you don't have to remove the K-member for the 2V. Just take off the two engine mount nuts and raise the engine. Unhook the steering knuckle so that it will slide between the tubes of the new header. You might want to take off the starter to give a little bit more room. Atleast this how I installed them on my 2V.
So you just jacked up the front and removed the engine mount bolts and jacked the engine up? Where did you jack the engine up from...oil pan? Also, you mention the starter but what other components did you remove for the install? Lastly, if you were to do it again would you remove the whole k-member?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Nice thread Wireman
Old 01-30-2013

Here is my install:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-a...uctions/a/340/

It's a bit of a pain. It'd be a LOT easier if I had a lift.
Old 01-30-2013

modulars are a PITA when doing headers. The way codered mentioned it is how i do it. I have an engine lift so its easier for me to do it.
01 Bullitt #3251H/C/Turbo build
92 GMC Typhoon
89 Chevy S10 Cameo
07 Yamaha R1 Candy Red
Old 02-11-2013

Just plan on dropping K-Member, Supporting motor w/ a jack and adjusting up/down as necessary to get the headers in...
OH AND!.... don't cheap out on the gasket!
Old 02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-0179 View Post
Just plan on dropping K-Member, Supporting motor w/ a jack and adjusting up/down as necessary to get the headers in...
OH AND!.... don't cheap out on the gasket!
Thats sounds scary!!

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 02-12-2013
SOEC Member

Supporting a motor on a jack can be dangerous, not to mention if you have a slip. what it could do to the motor. I had to do that once to replace an oil pump on the side of the road... I wouldn't suggest it.
Old 02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werecow View Post
Supporting a motor on a jack can be dangerous, not to mention if you have a slip. what it could do to the motor. I had to do that once to replace an oil pump on the side of the road... I wouldn't suggest it.
Either way you do it you have to jack up the motor. Unless you get an engine lift. What is the best place to jack it up anyway?
Old 02-15-2013

Ok what I DID which isn't the safest method, but I like to rely on my intellect when it comes to dangerous maneuvers.
Make sure you have a decent jack first off. I placed the jack straight in from the front of the car and supported the motor with a wooden block right under the harmonic balancer. Make sure you have the belt off. I was able to get all the up and down movement I needed.

Another safe measure would be to use jackstands as a backup placed on both sides of the oil pan in case it DID fall, you wouldnt be hammering the dents out of the oil pan.