The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-19-2009
SOEC Member

Talking #409 is finally here!

Fellow Saleen owners,
Just wanted to let you know my car finally arrived here in Germany. Today we make the 5 hour drive up north to the port to pick it up. I plan on taking pictures of it becasue I am sure it is the dirtest it has ever been. The weather is supposed to be beautiful this weekend. Perfect for a oil change, wash, wax and detail. I am sooo excited!
I did run into a Saleen last weekend. #785 non-SC. I left him a note on his windshield but haven't heard from him. So I know there is at least 2 here in Germany.
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 03-19-2009
Suspended Account

Woohoo, congratulations hombre!! I know you must be stoked right about now. Some of us have been waiting almost as anxiously as you for this arrval. Good luck and enjoy!!
Old 03-19-2009
Administrator

Have fun!
Old 03-19-2009
Administrator

Rock On!

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 03-19-2009
SOEC Member

That is a nice surprise, It should be a better ride back than the anxious ride up there.
Old 03-20-2009
SOEC Member

Well we arrived safely home. I didn't have the heart to take a picture of it all dirty. We wanted to get home so I just cleaned of the windows and headed south. After rubbing off some oxidation on the brakes we headed to the Esso station. Good news is that it was almost empty so it got a fresh tank of super unleaded. I took it easy for the first couple of hours but the last hour or so I hit the area of the autobahn with no speed limit sooooo I did what I have been waiting for for months. It took me some time but I finally found a coupe of Mercs that were running pretty fast. Still not fast enough to convert KPH to MPH so I followed. I got it up to 110mph and noticed the hood started to shake, like it was loose. So we slowed down and pulled off the bahn and checked the hood. It is on tight. So we went at it again. The car handles great at speed but the hood shaking really concerns me. I think it is something with the wind catching the hood vents or getting up underneath the hood. Not sure. Managed 130 for a brief stink but ran out of the unrestricted autobahn.
I still averaged 20 MPG. I think that is a bonus!
I got her home and gave her a bath before the sun went down. There a couple of spots I am going to need to buff out but other than that she survived the boat cruise pretty well.
I am so happy its finally here. I can finally get a good nights rest.
We are going to drive it to Frankfurt tomorrow for my son's wrestling match. I'll try to take some pics.
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 03-21-2009
SOEC Member

Congrats Mike!!! You are going to have a ton of fun with that bad boy.

The hood shaking is normal for the composite hood. As an insurance policy, you could invest in a good set of hood pins. The aluminum hood is a little better, but Im not sure if its $1500 better...
Old 03-22-2009

Glad you got your baby over there in Germany. i'm sure you'll have a blast with it on the Bahn. As for the hood, my '05 does the same thing, so i got some hood pins put in and although it still flexes, i know that it's not going anywhere.
2005 S281 SC #1164
475 Upgrade Kit
Ford GT500 Fuel Pumps
39lb Cobra Injectors
3.6 Chicane Pulley
Custom Tune
Brembo Brakes
20" Kinesis Rims
Cobra Carbon Fiber Racing Seats
Roll Bar
Old 03-23-2009
Suspended Account

Very cool!

There seems to be a bunch of American muscle over there in Germany. When I had my lightning, there where a ton of owners over there.
Old 03-23-2009
SOEC Member

I have seen a lot of Mustangs and Corvettes. The weather is starting to turn for the better. I am sure they will start coming out more often. I am hoping to make some friends and tour Europe. After watching Top Gear there are some really good roads in Italy and Switzerland I would like to try out.
I had to take off my window tint on the drivers and passengers window to pass inspection today....As soon as I can find my cable I'll attach some pictures with the German license plates.
Oh by the way I love the craigs brackets for the front plate. No drilling required!!!!
#06-409
Old 03-24-2009
Suspended Account

Glad she made the trip OK Mike and driving the European back roads is awesome, I've got to do it a few time in rentals but not the same, thought I was going to get run over doing a 100 on the Bahn.
Sent a 80 model Z28 I had to England in 95 she's still there running the tight streets
Old 03-27-2009
SOEC Member

Default Picture of the Saleen with German plates

Here is a pic with the German license plate.
I managed to link up with the local Mustang Club. Well it is for all of Europe. Seems like a great bunch of fellow Mustangers. Lots of events planned.
In May they are flying in a guy from the states to do Dyno tunes. I signed up. We will see how she does!

www.mightymustangs.net
Attached Images

#06-409
Old 03-27-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggywigton View Post
..........In May they are flying in a guy from the states to do Dyno tunes. I signed up. We will see how she does!

www.mightymustangs.net
That is a front plate that only a mother could love.....j/k.

Good luck with the dyno tune, what do you hope to hit for rwhp?

I've got a dyno tune coming up towards the end of April.

I'll be happy with anything over 400 rwhp.
Old 03-27-2009
SOEC Member

Islander, with your set-up (according to other results from similiar setups) you should be pushing close to 480 RWHP.

I look forward to the results from both of ya'lls tuning. Some sunny day ahead I hope to do some of my own.

Last edited by Meikol02; 03-27-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2009
SOEC Member

I am going to install the WMS Ram air intake right before the dyno run and tune. I would be extremely happy with anything over 450 HP. I have no idea, so I will just keep my fingers crossed. Techco said with thier tune that I should be around 460 and that is with an e-mail tune. I think a dyno tune will give me more. I don't have the dual fuel pumps so I don't want to be to aggresive.
I'll let you know what happens!
#06-409
Old 03-27-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meikol02 View Post
Islander, with your set-up (according to other results from similiar setups) you should be pushing close to 480 RWHP.

I look forward to the results from both of ya'lls tuning. Some sunny day ahead I hope to do some of my own.

That number would make me very happy. I don't think it will be that high due to going to a shop with a 'mustang dyno'. They seem to read lower numbers for some reason.
Old 03-27-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
I am going to install the WMS Ram air intake right before the dyno run and tune. I would be extremely happy with anything over 450 HP. I have no idea, so I will just keep my fingers crossed. Techco said with thier tune that I should be around 460 and that is with an e-mail tune. I think a dyno tune will give me more. I don't have the dual fuel pumps so I don't want to be to aggresive.
I'll let you know what happens!
Be careful with the WMS CAI, it involves wire splicing and other minor modifications. The biggest complaint with it IS the ease of install.
Old 03-30-2009
Suspended Account

Altitude and temps will affect your output. Make sure to ask your dyno operator/shop for corrected numbers.
Old 03-30-2009
SOEC Member

Default Wms Cai

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander033 View Post
Be careful with the WMS CAI, it involves wire splicing and other minor modifications. The biggest complaint with it IS the ease of install.
I read through the instruction manual. That's the only part I do not like. I am really hesitant about cutting wires and hoses...
#06-409
Old 04-03-2009
SOEC Member

Default Bumper inlays

Well my first modification...
Really makes the back end stand out, I think.
What do you think?
Attached Images

#06-409
Old 04-03-2009
Suspended Account

Mike, are those the polished stainless?
thinking about adding myself.
I added the window deletes to mine and I'm thinking Awesome but others might think "Wrong" I'll take pictures this week end and post on Monday.
But I think the addition to yours does look good, away's thought the letters are to stand out more
Old 04-03-2009
SOEC Member

Looks good on the Red bumper. Nice job.
Old 04-03-2009
Suspended Account

Those look great.

I was thinking about getting these SS ones :
http://www.ssinserts.com/index.php?m...1032eb885534ff

but I was wondering if it might be too flashy for a mostly black car.
Old 04-03-2009
SOEC Member

They are silver stickers I got from Nolan Hawk off this website. This was my second try. The first time the "S" stuck to itself. I found a good spray of windex lets you maneuver the decals around. Not sure about a black car. I think the chrome or silver will REALLY stand out. Its your car do what you like. Good thing about the stickers if you don't like them just take them off. $10 wasted. I say try the stickers. I think they will match the windshield decal and look better.

I still have to replace my quarter window trim. They both cracked I have a new drivers side but need a passenger side. Do you want to sell your old trim?
#06-409
Old 04-03-2009
Suspended Account

well your looking at my car, all most! same model when you look at the black one and I'm thinking it works for me
Old 04-03-2009
SOEC Member

The SS inserts look great. I guess I would have to see them in person. The difference is $50....
#06-409
Old 04-03-2009
Suspended Account

tell me about it, used the SS one's on my 03 GT and did not get a good clean surface to start with and had to super glue one of the letters on and that did not go well,
FYI when applying vinyl letters use a mild soap and water mixture to the surface, that will let you manuver the letters into place and while it dries, then just a lite touch with a hair dryer will work the rest of the moister out soap and water will not attack the vinyl later like windex can
Old 04-03-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Looks good Mike! Have a blast!
Old 04-05-2009
SOEC Member

Question When to change Spark Plugs

I am assuming that the plugs that are in my car came when the car was delivered new. At what mileage should I replace the plugs? I am at 13k now.
#06-409

Last edited by wiggywigton; 04-05-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2009
SOEC Member

Default Noisy rear (still)

Well guys I thought I had this noisy rear fixed but I spoke too soon.

I have sprayed, over the past 5 days, an entire can of penetrating oil on the rear bushings (all of them) and the noise hasn't gone away. It is getting worse as the days start to warm up.

The sound is like rubbing your finger over a balloon. It only occurs while turning. I can REALLY hear it at slow speeds.
I am wondering if it is the wheel bearings? Is this possible because maybe the car sat for almost 2 months? It is coming from the outside of the axle and from both sides too.

I am thinking of changing the rear oil this weekend. Speaking of that, I know it has to be synthetic but what is the oil weight and how many quarts?

Its not the brakes. The sound doesn't go away when I apply the brakes.

I am sooo frustrated with this sound. I just want this car to run perfect.
#06-409
Old 04-18-2009
Suspended Account

Hello
I have the same noise. I think it is in the rear axle. I get noise after 15-20 minutes drive
it makes a noise like woowoowoowoow (I know, making noise is not mine ...)
noise sounds when I drive slow and turning angle, like in a roundabout.
noise sounds like tire touch with something, but I check that does not happen.
sorry for my English but I am Spanish.
can someone tell me what is that noise?
Old 04-18-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramun1982 View Post
Hello
I have the same noise. I think it is in the rear axle. I get noise after 15-20 minutes drive
it makes a noise like woowoowoowoow (I know, making noise is not mine ...)
noise sounds when I drive slow and turning angle, like in a roundabout.
noise sounds like tire touch with something, but I check that does not happen.
sorry for my English but I am Spanish.
can someone tell me what is that noise?
i had thatm they replaced my rear clutch packs in the diff. good luck, was even worse in reverse and turning

Jason VIlla
'06 SALEEN SC S281 # 464 white/black
'93 Jeep Wrangler 4:1 5.13s 36s
'06 Ram 2500 5.9l
'12 VW Gli
5.0L Comp Buggy
20' flat bed trailer
Old 04-18-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I just noticed I have somewhat the same problem. Sounds like someone is rubbing their finger on a balloon like what wiggy said. Sounds like its from some front bushing. Anyones car still under warranty and wanna bring it in? Im thinking sway bar bushing Ive seen a lot of problems with those.
Old 04-18-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
I am assuming that the plugs that are in my car came when the car was delivered new. At what mileage should I replace the plugs? I am at 13k now.

I was told every 30k miles the vehicle should be tuned up and spark plugs changed since its a supercharged vehicle, so thats what I did.
Also it might not just be the bushings causing the whine or weird noise. I had my bushings greased, but I also had the differential fluid flushed and changed as I was told that will also cause noise as well.
Old 04-19-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david01130 View Post
I just noticed I have somewhat the same problem. Sounds like someone is rubbing their finger on a balloon like what wiggy said. Sounds like its from some front bushing. Anyones car still under warranty and wanna bring it in? Im thinking sway bar bushing Ive seen a lot of problems with those.
I really hope it is not something internal. I am hoping it is the lower control arms. I think it is because I can get it to go away for about a day with a liberal coating of penetrating spray. But it comes back. I figured if I am going to take the LCA's off and grease them I might as well replaced/upgrade them anyways. Hopefully the squeak will go away and I will get some more traction. Keeping my fingers crossed.
#06-409
Old 04-19-2009
Suspended Account

I've been reading about something like this noise
as I read, the 2005-2006 Mustangs have problems with the clutch.
In my case, when I go slowly and turn to the right or left, I can listen this noise; but the noise disappears when I press the clutch almost everything.
in your car is equal?

http://www.mustangheaven.com/forums/...hp?solved.html

http://allfordmustangs.com/forums/20...em-solved.html

Try this link
Old 04-19-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
...... but the noise disappears when I press the clutch almost everything.
The clutch shouldn't have anything to do with turning the steering wheel.

But the clutch packs in your rear differential could be effected by making turns one way or the other.
Old 04-20-2009
SOEC Member

According to the other forums it is the clutch pack in the rear end. It sounds like a possibility. I hope not. I guess I will start with the LCA and if that foesn'y fix it then I'l do the clutch packs.
Any suggestions on where to get these clutch packs? My car is out of waranty and I will have to do it myself. Maybe a good time to upgrade to 3.73's????

I do have the hesitation. I had the fuel pump replaced twice while I was in the States. I am wondering if I need to take it in? I Think I'll at least wait until after I get the dyno tune and see if that fixes it.
#06-409
Old 04-20-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Any suggestions on where to get these clutch packs?
Part of the Ford Traction-Lok diff. You'll be rebuilding the OE limited slip device. Ford Dealer.

Or, pick up something like an Auburn locker and do away with the Ford Traction-Lok.

Back with the old 5-Liter cars... some folks use to add additional discs when they would rebuild the OE devise.
Old 04-20-2009
SOEC Member

Now that I think about it...the surge is really obvious when there is less than half a tank of fuel...Hmmmmm...I wonder if it is the pump...
#06-409
Old 04-20-2009
Suspended Account

Today I have been trying to discover when the noise appears.
Noise appears after 15-20 minuts and allways when I turning, never driving
straight.

Noise appears turning at low speeds in 1st or 2nd gear and without press on the accelerator or on the clutch, so, 1st or 2nd gear but without acceleration.
Old 04-20-2009
SOEC Member

Edit, I Already Said That

Jason VIlla
'06 SALEEN SC S281 # 464 white/black
'93 Jeep Wrangler 4:1 5.13s 36s
'06 Ram 2500 5.9l
'12 VW Gli
5.0L Comp Buggy
20' flat bed trailer
Old 04-20-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Today I have been trying to discover when the noise appears.
Noise appears after 15-20 minuts and allways when I turning, never driving
straight.

Noise appears turning at low speeds in 1st or 2nd gear and without press on the accelerator or on the clutch, so, 1st or 2nd gear but without acceleration.
Mine starts with in 10 mins only when turning during or without acceleration.
Try spraying penetrating oil on your bushings and see if it goes away. I can get mine to go away for about a day but it comes back. I am pretty sure it is the lower control arm bushings. It doesn't sound like it is coming from the middle of the rear end but from the outsides. I am going to try and get the sound on video and post it. I think that would really help.
#06-409
Old 04-20-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-464 View Post
Edit, I Already Said That
sorry, I'm from spain and my english it's so bad. =)
always use the google translator to try to express myself well.
I will be careful not to repeat answers.
Old 04-20-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
Mine starts with in 10 mins only when turning during or without acceleration.
Try spraying penetrating oil on your bushings and see if it goes away. I can get mine to go away for about a day but it comes back. I am pretty sure it is the lower control arm bushings. It doesn't sound like it is coming from the middle of the rear end but from the outsides. I am going to try and get the sound on video and post it. I think that would really help.
I am going to try it.
thanks,
I tell you after do it
Old 05-08-2009
SOEC Member

Default Car on the dyno...446 rwhp

Well I was finally able to get the Saleen on the dyno today. The local Mustang club flew in a specialist from the states.
Well after finally figuring out how to get the speed limiter off (I was under the impression that is was already turned off) he managed to tune the car to 446 rwhp. Since the dyno was in Euro specs we had to convert.

I am really happy with the tune. I had a surge below 2k RPM, it is gone. Throttle response is much better.
Here is a video of my last pull

#06-409

Last edited by Dave; 05-08-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Video Embed
Old 05-08-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
....I am really happy with the tune. I had a surge below 2k RPM, it is gone. Throttle response is much better.
Here is a video of my last pull...
That's really cool wiggywigton, you should post your dyno sheet as well.
Old 05-08-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Well after finally figuring out how to get the speed limiter off
Sounds good.
Old 05-09-2009
SOEC Member

Default Dyno Sheet

Attahed is the dyno sheet. to convert the max HP to SAE we had to multiply the Max power by 1.23.
Attached Thumbnails
Dyno run.jpg  

#06-409
Old 05-09-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
Attahed is the dyno sheet. to convert the max HP to SAE we had to multiply the Max power by 1.23.
Thanks, that sheet is way different than the North American ones, but it looks cool.

Did you do your rear LCA's yet? I looked at mine and they don't look too hard to do.