The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1994-1998 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1994-1998 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-31-2013
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: Is "1994-2004" accurate for all convertible top boots?

My car didnt come with a boot, and it looks awful. I've seen ads for them that say 94-98, some say 99-04 and a bunch say 94-04. I'm guessing the SN95 and New Edge cars interchange, but can anyone confirm? If hate to buy one for a New Edge and have it not fit my '97.

Thanks in advance,

H.
Old 08-31-2013
Administrator

Sometime during the New Edge era, Ford Motor Company changed the convertible top boot.

The 1994-98 boot is a large, heavy vinyl, affair that lays flat in the trunk using most of the trunk floor surface area when not in use.

The 1999 and I believe the 2000 and 2001 Mustang convertible used this same boot.

At some point the boot becomes an option and Ford offered a 2nd generation boot that was soft, could fold and mounted differently.

The 1st generation boot sits on top of the well when the roof is folded. The 2nd generation sits on/around of the folded roof and sits in the well.

The 1994-98 boot also came with a sturdy vinyl storage cover for the boot when not in use. The 1999-01 boot came with a black plastic garbage bag to slide over the boot.
Old 08-31-2013

Thanks, Dave. This is the one I'm looking at -- says it's from a '99

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/pts/3985376658.html

Old 08-31-2013
Administrator

Yes. Pictured is the 1st generation cover. This would be the style you vehicle had.
Old 08-31-2013

Perfect...I've contacted the seller and hope to pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks again!
H.
Old 09-02-2013
SOEC Member

Glad I ran into this. Forgot I needed one to convert my two seater to a 4 seater when I have the family in tow.
1998 Saleen Speedster (S351 SC) #14
Black on Black
Old 09-02-2013

Picked up the boot in the Craigslist ad today...got it for $30. Fits beautifully!

Thanks again!
Old 09-03-2013
SOEC Member

Default boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-bomb View Post
Picked up the boot in the Craigslist ad today...got it for $30. Fits beautifully!

Thanks again!
Glad to hear but i'm super jealous of you right now!
Black on Black
Old 09-03-2013
SOEC Member

Default Boot cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Yes. Pictured is the 1st generation cover. This would be the style you vehicle had.
If you find another one please let me know.
Black on Black
Old 10-26-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Correct. 2003-2004. I have one. It is a sailcloth covered top that has a stiff backing (likely cardboard) inside. It folds in thirds. The driver side folds under, then the passenger side folds over the driver side.
Ian post a picture of it if that will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Sometime during the New Edge era, Ford Motor Company changed the convertible top boot.

The 1994-98 boot is a large, heavy vinyl, affair that lays flat in the trunk using most of the trunk floor surface area when not in use.

The 1999 and I believe the 2000 and 2001 Mustang convertible used this same boot.

At some point the boot becomes an option and Ford offered a 2nd generation boot that was soft, could fold and mounted differently.

The 1st generation boot sits on top of the well when the roof is folded. The 2nd generation sits on/around of the folded roof and sits in the well.

The 1994-98 boot also came with a sturdy vinyl storage cover for the boot when not in use. The 1999-01 boot came with a black plastic garbage bag to slide over the boot.