The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 09-09-2013
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: Saleen/FloFit interior restoration? - 1988 convertible

So i am new owner of 88 saleen convt. Love the car. anyways the interior is pretty rough and i know that original seats and interior are pretty hard to find. so are the seats the same as the flo fits that came in an 86 gt or are they different color and material? I know late model sells the replacement foam and material for 86 gt. It would be close.
Thanks
Old 09-09-2013
Administrator

The stock 1983-93 performance seats in a Ford Mustang were supplied by Lear Siegler.

The 1987-91 Saleen Mustang used seats supplied by FloFit.

Both of these seats are completely different with no shared parts.

Seat Source can supply new parts and foam for a FloFit seat. The open headrest are a Saleen spec item that was not available on the over-the-counter FloFit chairs.

You will have to visit trim shops and/or fabric suppliers and view swatch booklets to find a close match to the original material. Then have new covers produced.

Ready-to-go Saleen/FloFit seat covers are not offered by anyone.
Old 09-09-2013

thanks. were the seats in a 86 flo fits or just a similar design as a flofit.
Old 09-09-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr5.0 View Post
thanks. were the seats in a 86 flo fits or just a similar design as a flofit.
The most common seat in the 1986 Saleen Mustang were the Ford Lear Siegler 1985-86 Mustang GT seat.

Lear Siegler and FloFit seats are not related in anyway.

Saleen had FloFit cover their seat in a similar fashion (to the Ford Lear Siegler seat) for 1987-89. But the seats are completely different. Frames, foam, headrests, and material construction.

The Saleen/FloFit seating is reversed color as well. Dark outers with a light middle. The Ford Lear Siegler seating was light outers with a dark middle.
Old 09-09-2013

thanks dave i will try to contact seat source and see what they say
Old 09-09-2013
Administrator

Contact Saleen on this -- this is a project they're working on.

Seat Source does not have fabric.

sales@saleen.com

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 09-09-2013

thanks i will try them as well
Old 09-09-2013

Just so ya know I had the same problem with my Saleen and I got a set of 86GT seats for mine.Mine is going to be restored and doors hood and hatch replaced. It was a rescue the I found rotting away in a barn and I'm not going to sink 2K into a set of seats for a car that will be worth 6K when done. Back to the subject I got a set of 86GT seats for $200 and they are in perfect condiction and from what I understand way more comfortable than flofits. You should be ready to break out your wallet and snap out close to $2000 for a set of flofits. So its your call. Is it going to be 100% period correct? I asked the same question on this board and another board and most people say unless you are a hardcore Saleen nut most people would never know the differance between the two seats.
Old 09-09-2013

Thanks. I am not totally set on restore them. Just seeing what options are out there or if its even possible to do. My car is not a low mileage car anyways and I sort of want to update the interior to something slightly newer if I can't go back towards original.
Old 09-09-2013
SOEC Member

Who should we call specifically at saleen to communicate interest in this project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
Contact Saleen on this -- this is a project they're working on.

Seat Source does not have fabric.

sales@saleen.com
Old 09-09-2013

I sent an email to the address listed I will post up what response I get
Old 09-09-2013
Administrator

My first recommendation would be to restore the original Saleen/FloFit seats.

A talented interior shop can cut and shape new foam in a less hard material for a level of comfort not found in the original FloFit.

If the eventual plan is to replace the FloFit chairs with something else. Then I would recommend seeking a Recaro seat in a respectful style. The Saleen Mustang is a performance vehicle from the 1980s... so a bolstered seat with an 1980s-1990s look should be considered.

eBay: 171122576014

eBay: 190736643798

I disagree with placing 1985-86 Mustang GT seats in a 1987-89 Saleen. Unless the goal is to devalue the car and attain negative points for interior presentation.
Attached Thumbnails
$(KGrHqR,!qYFIOEv6cw!BSEg)JRcjQ~~60_57.JPG  

Attached Images

Old 09-09-2013

Either I will probably redo the interior just in case I want to make it all original. I would like to make it as close as possible guess will have to do some research for materials and colora
Old 09-10-2013

I just want to clarify. I wasn't saying if he has the option to restore his seats that that's not a good idea. The point I was making is if its just a driver car with higher miles and doesn't have all the Saleen specific parts still on it I personally can justify spending $1000 or more on a set of seats on a car that is worth 6 to 7 grand. I was just throwing it out there as an option for him. I don't think the 85 and 86GT seats look that much different than the flofits but that might just be me. Hope this helps and I also hope this doesn't offend anyone I just wanted to make sure the OP knew what I was saying.

Here is the difference. The flofit is one the left and the 85GT on the right. I never got a chance to do this with the fronts because mine were so far gone but its the same with the front the colors are flipped around
Old 09-10-2013

The post below was supposed to say I can't justify spending $1000 or more on a set of seats.
Old 09-10-2013

No worries I agree. I have an interior that is complete but just in bad shape. I want to salvage I guess wondering how to get the material and color close enough I know its not going to be perfect
Old 09-10-2013
SOEC Member

I completely agree, and got your point, makes no sense to spend 1-2k on a car worth 6-7k.

In my case, our 89 has 25k miles, fronts are near perfect. The original owner put a stereo in place of the back seat. Back seat, belts, and spare tire (amp box) were all tossed. I have gotten all pieces but the back seat, it is just currently a gray. I want it right. My wtb post over the last few months has not panned out yet.
Old 09-10-2013
Inactive Account

That is the problem no one wants to pay what it will cost get this project going. It will cost roughly 50K to get the facbric, then you have the cutting and sewing expense. So to be conservative say 70K in total. Just to cover your cost you would need to sell 70 sets at $1000 each.
Old 09-10-2013

Sorry Spaceracer I just sold the rear flofit seat out of mine. Like I said I got the 85GT seats and since I figured I would never shell out $1000 bucks for fronts I would sell the rear to someone who needed it. Didn't see your WTB thread.
Old 09-10-2013

Oops Specracer. Stupid autocorrect on these phones
Old 09-10-2013
SOEC Member

If those are the indeed numbers, that business case makes near zero sense. There are what, 18xx cars with these seats that were ever made, how many still exist? Of that number how many care, or have done something different? Of that, again, how many owners that still have a need, then would pay $2-3k (assuming that is the total price for front and rear?)? OH YEAH this also splits further when gray vs brown cloth is put into play. 35 cars worth, before profit? Doubt it, especially Factoring that there are perfect cars in the marketplace are selling for 19-25k currently?

If the case is that bleak, why have there been consistent posts that saleen is "working on it"....

I would pay $500-$800 to fix my rear seat using my current seat foam and frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wackett View Post
That is the problem no one wants to pay what it will cost get this project going. It will cost roughly 50K to get the facbric, then you have the cutting and sewing expense. So to be conservative say 70K in total. Just to cover your cost you would need to sell 70 sets at $1000 each.
Oh heart breaking....... EDIT, your pic shows a hatchback seat. I need a vert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calabschultz View Post
Sorry Spaceracer I just sold the rear flofit seat out of mine. Like I said I got the 85GT seats and since I figured I would never shell out $1000 bucks for fronts I would sell the rear to someone who needed it. Didn't see your WTB thread.
Old 09-12-2013
Inactive Account

That price would be front and back covers. I wouldnt say the outlook is bleak, people are wiling to pay $300 for a shift knob $600 for a radio and EQ why wouldnt you pay $1000 for seat covers. The reason for so many post is until recently within the last 6 months we did not have a close to orig option all the previous options were ok.
Old 09-12-2013

Well I guess leads to my next question has anyone actually tired to restore an interior and what materials and colors have they tired?
Old 09-12-2013
Inactive Account

It was the gray material both the seat and side panels. Which only helps me with one of my cars the other has tan.
Old 09-12-2013
SOEC Member

Well lets hope it gets done. Be good to have the option. My luck it will come after I get my back seat sorted out.