The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2010-2014 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2010-2014 Saleen Mustang For the SN10 platform California-built 2010 SMS 460 and 460X, the 2011-12 SMS 302, and 2013-14 Saleen 4V, SC, SSC and 351.
All Label cars (White Yellow, Black). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 06-28-2013
Saleen Forums Participant

Yup! It might never stop!
Old 07-03-2013
SOEC Member

So I have compiled a list of 2011 SMS/Saleens. Data is complete. If you can fill the blanks, please do to incluse usernames for site and real name if known. You can post or PM if you like. I also gathered through 2013, but many holes. I can post if you like.

Year----------------------Model-----------------------Body---------------Color----------------------------Username----------------Notes
11-0001EU-------------- Black Label-------------- Coupe--------__Lizstick Red/Silver-------------------------------------------In Sweedon had Twin Turbo system installed.
11-0012------------------ Black Label-------------- Coupe--------__Black/Silver---------------------------------------------------Different hood vents? No qtr window trim. Chrome wheels stock GT strut tower brace.
11-0015------------------Black Label--------------- Coupe--------__Unknown
11-0019------------------Unknown----------------- Coupe--------__ Unknown
11-0020------------------Unknown----------------- Convertible---- Unknown----------------------------------------------------- 1ZVBP8FF0B5117496
11-0022------------------Unknown----------------- Unknown------ Unknown
11-0023------------------Black Label--------------- Coupe--------__Red/Silver
11-0024------------------ Black Label SC---------- Coupe--------__Red/Silver----------------------- SMS#24Stang
11-0026------------------Black Label--------------- Coupe--------__Silver/Black----------------------------------------------------Chrome wheels.
11-0031------------------White Label------------- Coupe--------__White/Black----------------------Kazoo DUDE
11-0032------------------Black Label SC----------- Coupe--------__Black/Silver----------------------- Werecow
11-0037------------------Black Label--------------- Coupe--------__Unknown
11-0039------------------Black Label--------------- Coupe--------__Grey/Silver-----------------------------------------------------GT500 Hood, Chrome wheels, bright trim
11-xxxx------------------ White Label--------------Coupe--------__ Unknown-----------------------------------------------------_ 1ZVBP8CF5B5158095 (early model)
11-xxxx------------------ White Label-------------- Convertible---- Black/Silver----------------------------------------------------Could be 11-0020?
11-xxxx ------------------Black Label-------------- Coupe--------__Gray/Silver----------------------------------------------------- Could be 11-0039. photo with no hood only differnece being 11-0039 has bright trim work, this car does not in the only photo.
11-xxxx------------------ Unknown----------------- Coupe--------__Black/Silver---------------------------------------------------- Photo with no front facia.
Old 07-06-2013
SOEC Member

wow. This is all that was produced? Can this be confirmed? These cars are rare rare if this is correct.
Old 07-06-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Glad to see someone is keeping track of these. I'm trying to keep track of the 2011 Speedlab cars but finding them is hard, never mind finding out about options.
Old 07-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS#24Stang View Post
wow. This is all that was produced? Can this be confirmed? These cars are rare rare if this is correct.
Saleen stinks at getting back to us owners. But my guess is it is more then just these since not all owners get on line and on the forum. But it would be interesting to know exactly how many were made.

Mark Dorland
Kalamazoo, MI
Old 07-08-2013

Okay SMS 11-037 is race red with the upgraded seats, body kit, brakes and chrome wheels. it has Nav and the SMS tower strut bar with no SC.

Old 07-09-2013
SOEC Member

I can't confirm these as the actual production numbers. These are just the ones I have seen here, or at shows or on sale various places. I listed 12's and 13's too, but I didn't post them as the question was about the 11's. I have pictures of some as well.
Old 07-11-2013

Last night I spoke with the previous owner of my 2011- #31 White label SMS and he tells me he bought it new from the ford store and it was #31 of 250! I asked how did he know the total production and he said it was told to him by ford and SMS. I guess back then SMS was a little more desperate, I mean willing to answer questions.

So I think he is right that there were 250 units made in 2011.

Mark
Old 07-11-2013
Account with Invalid Email

I tend to get around and dont see these out there. I would be very surprised if they made 250. I have heard there were a good amount unsold. That could be part of not seeing them around
13 Boss Laguna Seca #738
05 s281 #1401~ Sold
Old 07-11-2013

I know! There are so few of them that searches turn up the same "Release" pictures and not much else. 11-037 is for sale at a PA ford store but other then that I only saw one silver one and could not see the number so know idea what it was. 250 does not seem high since the ford stores order them on speculation sometimes and at some point need to unload them even if it is at a loss. Anyone else try to contact the aloof SALEEN or SMS company for an answer on this? I did three times by e mail, no reply. Calling gets voice mail!!!

I hope they are actually that busy.
Old 07-11-2013
SOEC Member

I would like to believe that Saleen Sold 250 cars in 2011 alone, but I doubt it. You would think there would be more owners here if there were that many of them out there.
Old 07-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werecow View Post
I would like to believe that Saleen Sold 250 cars in 2011 alone, but I doubt it. You would think there would be more owners here if there were that many of them out there.

I just wrote a letter to saleen asking for production numbers in 2011, why my build sheet states 420 foot pound torque and my springs are S1 not S4? Also asked what all they did to the motor to get to the 440HP. Filter, exhaust and tuner for sure but talk of pulleys and more efficient electrical and maybe head work was mentioned in their release literature. Sure things can and do change but what EXACTLY?

Saleen is disappointing me on this so far! $hit communication!!!
Old 07-11-2013

Just got a call from Derek Hall at Saleen and he said that Steve will be putting out a list of all the latest cars with production numbers etc... early next year. So, the previous owner might or might not know for sure about there being 250 made in 2011. Another thing Derek said was that each "LABEL" has their own set of numbers!! I said "So there could be 3 (white, yellow and black label) # 31 cars made in 2011?" Answer: "Absolutely!" "Are you Sure?" Answer: "I know that for a fact!!"
So that is interesting!

Otherwise he answered all my questions and even offered (For Free) to send me all the badges to make it a Saleen. Placards, steering wheel, bumpers, grill, trunk windshield banner etc... So if you own an SMS and want all the Saleen goodies PM me.

MArk
Old 07-11-2013
SOEC Member

I just wish someone from SMS/SALEEN would just verify these numbers if they are correct. I am not sure why this information would be a BIG secret....................
Old 07-12-2013

Quote:
I just wish someone from SMS/SALEEN would just verify these numbers if they are correct. I am not sure why this information would be a BIG secret....................

I agree, the only thing I can think of is they might be too embarrassed to have only made/sold 250 or less! Not the volume he used to do so maybe he does not want people to think small numbers because not worth it? But yeah even the dude from Saleen did not know! Top secret stuff you know :)

On a happy note, I was checking my plugs and found them ALL to be .055 not the .045 for NA cars or .035 for SC cars!!! Fixed them and WOW what a difference. Need to look at other things as well on this car. Might do the oil and differential fluid this weekend. Looks like the Diff does not have a drain plug so you either have to suck the fluid out the fill hole or pull the rear cover! Bummer.

Anything else you guys can think of for me to check on the car being new to me and not well maintained prior?
Old 07-12-2013
SOEC Member

I don't know that they would be embarrassed about low numbers, just look at the 90's production numbers.

I have found where two cars of the same year shared a number in 2012, but are different labels. I was told this was the case by someone at Saleen. Not sure if they will continue down that path, but as long as it is documented, I guess it don't really matter. I would prefer only use a number once, unless it has like the S351's or E-cars with letter designators on the plaques along with the number.

I have been trying to get an LOA from Saleen since I purchased my 2011. Hopefully this merger allows for more staff, to get these sort of things caught up. My opinion is they have few people doing many jobs and in this economy, this appears to be a common practice. Again.... they have a great staff there and I know they want to do more...
Old 07-12-2013
SOEC Member

I will say I doubt new staff will be hired to help with growth and former customers that have bought there product. You buy a Saleen/SMS product and once you pay for it your dirt that's what I think as a customer.

I was made promise after promise for a part and people on this forum know I will never see it. Just the way saleen is.
Old 07-14-2013
SOEC Member

let's face it guys we are the forgotten few...............
Old 07-24-2013
SOEC Member

2012 SMS 302 white lable #2012-013 Dyno result was 392hp 390ft-pds. But was before finding oil burned #8 and oil soaked #4 but engine was running strong found problem when changing oil hecked plugs. Ford order new short block and order dealership to ship old to Dearborn for evaluation. Will post once Ford finds what went wrong. They also checked with dyno for could not believe car was running so good. They found 382hp so they are confussed that it still pump out the power no miss-fire.
Old 07-24-2013

I read that last post a few times and I am not criticizing, but a proof read is always good :)
So, there were some oil soaked plugs #4 & #8? I just re gapped my plugs to .050 and the one closest to the drive (#?) had some oil on it and the top of the piston looked like it had burnt chocolate cake batter on it! Put a 16 OZ can of Seafoam in the tank last night, 1/2 tank so hoping that might help. It ran poorly with .045 gap (although the two last plugs closest to the driver were .050). Obviously gap is important and from my reading it seems we can run .035 for SC engines, .045 to .054 for NA engines but the bigger the gap the better the ignition until or unless you get blowout. So, i decided to split the difference at .050. I would recommend everyone checking their plugs every so often since I think these motors, the way we drive them and the sitting around most of them do can reek havoc on our plugs. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-25-2013
SOEC Member

Sorry being disabled veteran has it draw back.
The point of the thread was to warn all SMS 302 to check for oil even when the car runs great. Ford has discovered a serious bottom end problem that should of cause the engine to misfire, yet the engine was running strong with no sign of problems. Which left uncheck would of led to a complete engine shut down.

Last edited by John S. Murbach; 07-25-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2013

Yes I checked the top of my pistons visually through the spark plug hole and it looks nasty in there! I have a JLT oil seperator coming and once that is on will seafoam the engine and see if that helps.

It is also going into the ford shop Monday for the TSB 11-3-18 on the trans fluid and these guys are no bull so I will ask them about this as well.

Mark
Old 07-28-2013
SOEC Member

So what is the cause of the problem? Does the oil seperator help this and how?
Old 07-28-2013
SOEC Member

I have had the oil separator on my car for some time and don't see much oil in it.

Are there any recalls I should know about to take the car into FORD?
Old 07-29-2013

Well what happens (from what I read) is the passanger side PCV valve takes the gasses and some oil when driven hard back into the manifold to be re burned. My pistons are baked on with carbon or crude and I have actually seen oil on my PCV hose before. It sometimes smells of oil as well. I get it today and will give you my thoughts on it soon. Also having the TSB 11-3-18 fluid swap done today and the guys are all excited to have the first SMS in their shop so they plan to go thorught thte car with a "Fine tooth comb" to see if there is something more to why I have brownie batter on my pistons! I do like brownies just not on my pistons! :)
Old 07-29-2013

Quote:
I have had the oil separator on my car for some time and don't see much oil in it.

Are there any recalls I should know about to take the car into FORD?
You must not be whooping the cars a$$ like it was meant to be :) It only happens at red line of close to it. Again, I will put it on tonight and take a few pics as well as take it for a ride the next couple of days and see if any oil collects.

Go to www.americanmuscle.com under oil filters and see their video on a gt500.
Old 07-29-2013
SOEC Member

I get on mine pretty hard, from time to time...
Old 07-29-2013

Quote:
I get on mine pretty hard, from time to time...

I was teasing you :) Will let you know what the results are when I have them.
Old 07-29-2013
Account with Invalid Email

This is true, John you need to drive it like it was meant to be driven
13 Boss Laguna Seca #738
05 s281 #1401~ Sold
Old 07-31-2013

Oil Separator review!!! Got mine from american muscle and it is a JLT that swaps right out for the stock hose with no catch can or tank. Put it on Monday night, drove the car for less then 100 miles Tuesday to work and in town with no more then 5,000 RPM and not much of that in fact. Drove it civilized for a change :)

Got home looked in the can and WOW!!! I could have poured the oil out! Here are some picks!!! If this thing catches this much oil in 100 miles I will be changing my oil through it :)
Old 07-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo DUDE View Post
Oil Separator review!!! Got mine from american muscle and it is a JLT that swaps right out for the stock hose with no catch can or tank. Put it on Monday night, drove the car for less then 100 miles Tuesday to work and in town with no more then 5,000 RPM and not much of that in fact. Drove it civilized for a change :)

Got home looked in the can and WOW!!! I could have poured the oil out! Here are some picks!!! If this thing catches this much oil in 100 miles I will be changing my oil through it :)
Hoping this gives you the pictures.
Old 07-31-2013

Default oil separator

Quote:

Look in my gallery
Old 08-04-2013
SOEC Member

That is a descent amount of oil.
Old 08-05-2013

Quote:
That is a descent amount of oil.

For one day!! It has collected that much each day!!!!! Took a 200 mile trip Sunday and had to pour the oil out!!

I like that it is not going back into my intake!! Worth the $115.
Old 08-05-2013
SOEC Member

Can't you just put it back in the car?
Old 08-05-2013

Quote:
Can't you just put it back in the car?
No I think it has been vaporized so it has changed its compound in some way not sure how bad it would be if at all but I just wipe it out with a paper towel and call it good. It is not enough to make the car low on oil so I just pitch it.
Old 08-17-2013
SOEC Member

Found that the #8 cylinder failed the pvc pressure check. They preformed another compression test and #8 was 50 psi lower then the rest this time. So all 302 owners check your plugs for oil problems. My new short blook is in process of being broken in. Then to Saleen to check and adjust the engine to it orginal high output.
Old 08-18-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. Murbach View Post
Found that the #8 cylinder failed the pvc pressure check. They preformed another compression test and #8 was 50 psi lower then the rest this time. So all 302 owners check your plugs for oil problems. My new short blook is in process of being broken in. Then to Saleen to check and adjust the engine to it orginal high output.
What does Saleen have to do to it? Isn't it just tune as far as the engine is concerned?
Old 08-18-2013
SOEC Member

hope it works out
Old 08-19-2013

Quote:

I did check and replace my plugs and #8 had some oil on it. I put the catch can on and 500 miles later I have emptied it 2 times. IT most definitely is doing its job and will be putting on on my infiniti this week.
Old 08-19-2013
SOEC Member

That seems like a lot of oil to me... I wonder if the amount will be the same after the new block?
Old 08-19-2013
SOEC Member

Default Saleen responce

Quote:
What does Saleen have to do to it? Isn't it just tune as far as the engine is concerned?
No, Chriss at Saleen wants to check for proper plugs (super snake plugs)
and check and adjust the control setting for fuel air ratio and other computor controls.
Old 08-20-2013

Quote:
No, Chriss at Saleen wants to check for proper plugs (super snake plugs)
and check and adjust the control setting for fuel air ratio and other computor controls.

Hi John:

My white label engine had standard motorcraft plugs gapped to .053 so if they have something different than that please share. The super snake plugs might have been referring to the gap but not sure since the Super Snake runs the 5.4 motor. I read that super charged cars like a narrower gap .035 and Naturally aspirated cars are more in the .045 to .054 depending on how much you can get away with before you get misfires from blow by.
Old 08-20-2013
SOEC Member

The plugs are Ford part #SP-519/CYFS-12Y GAP AT .053. Try standard plugs and you can feel the lost of power at high end.
Performance and dyno results are in past threads. Compare your number and see if there is a difference from mine.
The plugs are the only difference that I can tell between our white lables.

Last edited by John S. Murbach; 08-20-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-20-2013

Quote:
The plugs are Ford part #SP-519/CYFS-12Y GAP AT .053. Try standard plugs and you can feel the lost of power at high end.
Performance and dyno results are in past threads. Compare your number and see if there is a difference from mine.
The plugs are the only difference that I can tell between our white lables.

Yes those are the plugs I used and what was in the car originally when I bought it. I left them at the factory gap of .044 and it is running fine. The bigger gap is better do you feel? Now that I am not drinking oil threw my manifold maybe I should go back to the .053 gap?
Old 08-22-2013
SOEC Member

My SMS is a 2012-013 white model with the basic GT not like yours with the sync, radio upgrade and six gauge cluster. I have only a four gauge, which was an standrad 2011 GT dash. Give me a point of contact and I will send you a copy of the Saleen window sticker. This will answer any of your questions.
On the plugs I checked the plugs gap before changing them. So the gap was done at Saleen. So I repeated the same gap do to the great performance the old plugs provided.
Old 01-13-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default What # car

11-031, means 2011 car number 31…
Old 01-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb View Post
11-031, means 2011 car number 31…
Yes, yes it does. We still do not seem to know how many were made in 2010 to 2016. Production numbers do not seem to be available. We are guessing 40ish on the 2011?
Old 01-16-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, yes it does. We still do not seem to know how many were made in 2010 to 2016. Production numbers do not seem to be available. We are guessing 40ish on the 2011?
2010 and 2011 production numbers for the SMS 302 are the most concrete, in terms of data, from the 2010-14 era.
Old 02-08-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Newbie to site but wanted to let you know that I have SMS 11-29. Ordering the letter of authenticity tomorrow. Pics are on my profile