The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 12-19-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Q: 1988 Oxford White/ red interior?

First post. Owner of many mustangs, however this is my first saleen. Yesterday I bought someone's unfinished project car with intentions of parting it out. After hours of research I learned that what i bought is possibly the only white with red interior car in existence. Is this true? I quickly got an attachment to this thing and now I feel like I have to save it. Unfortunately most of the interior is missing and from what I understand is next to impossible to come by. The good thing is that the body is very clean and it recently got a good quality paint job. Putting this car back together would cost a small fortune compared to buying a nice car. What should I do with this thing?
Old 12-19-2015
Administrator

Hi!

From what we have gathered, between 1987 and 1989 Saleen Autosport produced eight Mustangs with a red interior. This count excludes the white/red Ford factory leather interior convertibles.

Of the eight, six were 1988 models. Of these six, five were hatchback bodies. Of these five, 88-0327 was the only white exterior paint hatchback. The other five were red (double red).

Odds are, your original seats would be covered in standard FloFit red cloth material in one color. These would not be tu-tone like the charcoal version.

Your interior could have looked something like this:
http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthr...hlight=89-0107

The red cloth may have a tendency to look pink or fade to pink in comparison to the Ford factory pieces.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2015
Administrator

Two photos of two 1988 hatchbacks with red interior.
Attached Thumbnails
RedFlofitCar3.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 12-19-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

Hi dave. Wow, that interior is neat! The only thing left of my original interior is the dash and the seatbelts. At some point someone put a grey GT interior in the car. What a bummer knowing that I'll never find any of that stuff. It would be cool to say I have the only red interior white car.
Old 12-19-2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88-0327 View Post
Hi dave. Wow, that interior is neat! The only thing left of my original interior is the dash and the seatbelts. At some point someone put a grey GT interior in the car. What a bummer knowing that I'll never find any of that stuff. It would be cool to say I have the only red interior white car.
Well. One cost effective way to restore the interior is, buy a 2.3L LX hatchback with a nice red interior. Part the remaining 2.3L LX.

Then watch for a set of trashed 1987-91 Saleen/FloFit grey front seats and have them recovered in red. Or buy a set of aftermarket Recaros and do those in red.

Your first challenge is to take stock of 88-0327 and the remains you own. It might not be cost feasible to "restore" this car or to put it back to OE. If you want to make a driver out of, then you can. Even if the car becomes blue with a black interior.

Research the car. Make sure you have the original body and the original Ford VIN that was associated with 88-0327. See how clean the title is. A rebody or questionable lineage make value dip considerably.
Old 01-10-2016
Administrator

The '87 convertible with red interior.

(Photo: Jason Smith)
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0210.jpg  

Old 01-10-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Are those the original seats? Why no flofits?
Old 01-10-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88-0327 View Post
Are those the original seats? Why no flofits?
Yes. Started life as a Mustang GT chassis. So, it had the Ford Sport seats as standard and were retained.