The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-05-2016
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: Front air dam attachment? - 1985-86

How did Saleen attach the air dams on the '85 and '86 cars? Did they just use double sided tape or did they do something different ?
Tan interior
Old 03-06-2016
Administrator

I believe it was a combination of double sided tape and adhesive. Meaning, extra liquid adhesive was applied on-top of the ready-to-stick tape.

Not 100%. Wait until you hear a 100% answer.
Old 03-06-2016

I asked out of curiosity more than anything. I will glue the air dam on but it will require the use of some screws to hold it in place while it cures but the holes are a minor thing. I just wanted to make sure the screws were not a permanent part of the install.

Can someone take a close up pic or two of their air dam where it attaches please? I am pretty sure I know but I want it to look as close to original as possible when I'm done.

Thanks guys for all the help with this car so far.
Cant wait for Fords at Carlisle this year.
Tan interior
Old 03-06-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagenham View Post
I asked out of curiosity more than anything. I will glue the air dam on but it will require the use of some screws to hold it in place while it cures but the holes are a minor thing. I just wanted to make sure the screws were not a permanent part of the install.
I believe the 2005-09 cars used a 3M NVH tape to attack the rocker panels. You may want to look into this tape. There was also an application of something like windshield adhesive.
Old 03-06-2016

I will use 3M adhesive that is used to literally glue body panels on. I have been using it for several years and the stuff is amazing.
Tan interior
Old 03-06-2016
Saleen Forums Participant

Good to hear another four eyed will be there.
88-546 sold
89-403 sold
85-084 sold
Old 03-08-2016

So I have the air dam fitted around the top, but the bottom has nowhere to attach to because it doesn't touch anything.
Is this the way they fit originally or is something wrong???? There is a gap between the air dam and the nose around the center opening.
Tan interior
Old 03-19-2016

Can a couple of you guys with 4 eye cars take some pics of your front air dam around the bottom for me please? Especially around the center opening. I have mine attached temporarily with screws around the top, but it just doesn't look right around the bottom to me.
Tan interior