The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-10-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Saleen value range?

Hey, all:

I've just got a general question for you guys. I'm interested in buying a nice '89 Saleen hatch in the near future and have been looking around for quite a while now. Prices for decent-looking cars seem to be in about the $11,500 to $13.5 range, give or take a little on the specifics of each car. What I can't figure out, however, is why the NADA Classic Car On-line Price Guide shows the '89 Saleen 3-door hatch as having a "high retail value" of $9,900, without the sunroof option. What gives? How much do these cars really trade hands for on the average? Is NADA just out-of-touch with the market, or are sellers right now being a bit optomistic?

One of the reasons for my confusion in all of this is that I am the owner of a very nice '67 Sunbeam Tiger. When I look at the NADA price guide for Tigers, they show high retail as being $63,800. In the real world, a nice Tiger is really only bringing in the mid-$30's right now, which is just above NADA's low retail value of $32,900. Again, why the seemingly huge gaps in the real-world market versus the NADA take on it? That makes me very suspicious of NADA's pricing of Saleens.

Thanks for any input,
Tigersaleen

Last edited by TigerSaleen; 08-10-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-10-2010

You answered your own question. NADA is useless on collector cars. They have no idea what these cars change hands for and I'm not sure how they come up with these phantom values.
As far as true values go an old saying holds true, "It's only worth what someone is willing to pay".
Old 09-13-2010

Default recently bought

How's it going - I bought an 89 hatch 3 months ago for $12,500 - 88 k on it- spotless on the inside and the outside was just as good - it was all stock - seems like that is about the range - of course after a stereo, alarm, tints, blower and custom 331 stroker, i'd like to think it's worth a little more!
Old 09-14-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen431 View Post
How's it going - I bought an 89 hatch 3 months ago for $12,500 - 88 k on it- spotless on the inside and the outside was just as good - it was all stock - seems like that is about the range - of course after a stereo, alarm, tints, blower and custom 331 stroker, i'd like to think it's worth a little more!
I think this is more on the high end of the price range unless you have a foxbody coupe or SSC. The economy sucks bad and as long as you have somewhere around 8-10K you'll be able to pick up a good example. Some of those mods though can lower the value too vs. a completely stock one with all the trimmings. Crazedlist.org and doing a national search can give you a good idea of the value, but i've heard of people picking up foxes for 5k on cash strapped people. Good luck with the search and post some pics of what you find.
Old 09-23-2010
Saleen Forums Registrant

Just picked my 89 #438 for 8k with a Kenne Bell, needs love i.e. paint is faded has more rattles than a box of rocks. Hope this helps, my car will end up costing me 12k by the time I get it up to snuff, but I enjoy the work so I'm ok with this. If your not, save money and time and get the best example you can afford. your newest noob Marty
Old 09-25-2010
SOEC Member

Congrats! Make sure you spend some $$$ on a good paint job, stay away from Maaco.

PICS OR BAN!!!
Old 09-28-2010
Saleen Forums Registrant

I am the original owner of #91, a ssc, w/ 12k miles. It's listed in Hemings this month.
Open track car, with griggs suspension. Have all original parts including battery.
These cars shouldn't drop down, they're collectors. Just look at my asking price.
Old 09-28-2010
SOEC Member

You have a Tiger... Nice car, I owed one too a while back...

NADA is just tool, I would not go by what is printed in that book and I used to sell cars way back then...

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...rtible2010.jpg
Photo taken August 1985 in New Mexico
Old 09-30-2010
Saleen Forums Registrant

Exclamation if you own a Prize

GUYS,

THESE ARE LIMITED PRODUCTION, NUMBERED CARS!
THERES THE VALUE
LIKE SHELBYS THEY NEED TO BE TREATED LIKE THAT!

In the 80's or 90's, You either settled for a Mustang, Mustang GT or paid the extra for the limited edition "numbered prize"

If you own a "prize" don't let anyone value it as a GT or anything else than what it is!

EXTRA SPECIAL