The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Enthusiast Forums > Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Detailing Interior & Exterior Car Care discussions sponsored by Mothers Polishes-Waxes-Cleaners.

Old 03-12-2013
SOEC Member

Default looking for good quick detail spray for black

I use to own a white mustang and only would use lucas speed wax for a quick detailer spray,this worked fine on white and was really good. but I have noticed with a black car this stuff has got something in it causeing it to streak, and leave a film on that looks like something got on the car and takes hours to get it off the paint. at a show I dont have that kind of time to be wipeing quick detailer off. ive noticed alot of yall use mothers I have heard mothers quick detail does the same thing to black. but I havent tried it myself, was thinking about switching to miguares. this is what I use mostly at shows miguars products. I do alot of shows so any suggestions on a quick detailer for a black car that is easy to come off, and dont look like something has got on the car and wont streak real bad.
Old 03-12-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Im not sure Bout the who mothers thing. I use mothers and i have to say im happy with the result. I too own a black car and so far its shines like new (besides the **** swirls marks lol)
Old 03-12-2013
Administrator

You may need to clay and wax, otherwise no detailer or spray wax will work properly -- the car needs to be clean and waxed.

That said, if you're still having problems, you're probably using too much product, working in too large an area (and it dries on you before you can buff), working in too warm of weather, or your towels are loaded up.

Check out the video below for more tips.

Give Mothers a try and contact me if you have any problems -- all Mothers products have a satisfaction guarantee and I can help you with a refund if you keep your receipt.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 03-12-2013
Administrator

I should add that claying removes contaminants -- if you have contaminants, then clay. Contaminants make the paint feel rough, drying is more difficult (the towel drags and also may pick up dirt), waxing can be more difficult, and using an instant detailer or spray wax is more difficult.

Claying should be done whenever necessary, usually once or twice a year, and before you wax.

Some contaminants can be stubborn, and sometimes another approach may be necessary.

Most consumer clays are safe for modern finishes, but some brands are better than others. Mothers has had the best-selling clay since we first introduced claying to enthusiasts almost 20 years ago.

There are professional clays that are more aggressive and they sometimes can remove stubborn overspray and other contaminants, but polishing is generally required because they can scratch the surface, so that's why they're "professional."

Claying with Mothers California Gold Clay Bar is safe, easy, and sometimes even fun. :)
Old 03-12-2013
SOEC Member

thanks for the replies will try the options given, cant advoid the doing it to warm of weather tho beening in florida weather is mostly warm new to owning a black car and learning its very hard to keep clean but when its clean it looks really good.
Old 03-12-2013
Administrator

When it's warm or hot from the sun, work in smaller sections.

Be conscious of how much product you use -- too much can be as problematic as too little.

If you're just trying to remove dust, consider a wool duster with a little Showtime initially to remove the loose dust, followed by use with a plush microfiber towel to further clean and buff.
Old 03-12-2013
SOEC Member (Inactive)

+1 on Mothers Showtime. But as stated, application is key and if the car isn't waxed, quick detailer won't do its job properly.

If you want something that will work with an unwaxed car, try a waterless wash. Some that I'd recommend that are available in a spray bottle and can be used like a quick detailer are;

Detailer's Pro Waterless Auto Wash
PoorBoy's World Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash
Optimum Opti-Clean

The main difference to keep in mind is that waterless wash is designed to clean only. It won't add any shine or luster, but will remove dust/dirt/grime better than a quick detailer. A way to look at it is, Waterless Wash cleans best but adds little shine, Quick Detailer both cleans and shines but doesn't do either one best, and Spray Wax adds shine best but doesn't clean as well as either a quick detailer or waterless wash.

I personally prefer to keep at least two out of three in the trunk to be prepared for various situations, as each one has its advantages under particular circumstances. Mothers Showtime and Mothers Spray Wax usually accompany the Saleen to car shows. Detailer's Pro Waterless Wash is in the boot of my girlfriends daily driver for quick cleanups of bird dirt and various road grime.
Old 03-23-2013
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Great info on technique in this thread! Mother's showtime has never let me down.
Old 03-31-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I have heard lots of good things about ultima waterless wash and then using a spray detailer afterward. If you buy the ultima waterless wash concentrate it makes 5 gallons of product and the concentrate is only 20.99.
Old 03-31-2013
SOEC Member

Please quit using the Lucas's speed wax. My stepdad use to use that stuff on his white vette. I kept telling him it wasn't a great product and once he bought he's new black vette noticed that it wasn't either. I just don't believe someone who specializes in motor oil can have a good wax! Anyhow, that's my 2 cents......

Now, lets talk about black paint. You have to make sure you keep it protected with a paint sealant or good carnauba. I personally love wolfgang 3.0 and follow up with wolfgang Fuzion. I start with this because if you protect that black paint well enough all you are going to do with a detail spray or waterless is scratch the crap out of the paint. I am slowly moving towards more waterless than detail sprays just because it has all the lifting properties that detail sprays are lacking and still can be used just like a detail spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2013
SOEC Member

I clayed with Mothers Showtime last week, then waxed. For a car with 10 year old paint, it shines like its never been outside. I only use Mothers on my car and I've never had a bad result. Wash outside in the morning, then back the car into the garage to let it cool, then clay, wax, then chrome polish (which is absolutely amazing). If only they made stuff to keep the bugs off my car.....
2001 GT--TOTALED
2001 V6--Sold
Old 05-28-2013
SOEC Member

http://www.turtlewax.com/product-detail.aspx?prodid=52

I use this one on my Boss. It doesn't have a whole lot of black on it, but this stuff works great on the parts that do. Works great on the decals as well.

12 F150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew Ingot Silver
Old 05-28-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
http://www.turtlewax.com/product-detail.aspx?prodid=52

I use this one on my Boss. It doesn't have a whole lot of black on it, but this stuff works great on the parts that do. Works great on the decals as well.
This is actually not a bad product by turtle wax. I have used it along with the black box when I first bought my car.

Now, I use a pretty big variety of stuff. Griots speed wipe, just because I can get it if I need it quickly (advance auto). Meg's last/final touch, just because you can get it in bulk for the cheap (2 gallons for $40 on Autogeek). Adam's polishes qd is good but also more on the expensive side like griots. I do like mother's showtime, buy sometimes its hard to come across. I also like chemical guys speed wipe and also synthetic QD, both very affordable. I HIGHLY recommend chemical guys hybrid v7! If anyone hasn't tried it you are truly missing out. Go order it right now! Lol.

Honestly, unless the qd has carnauba or a sealant in it you are pretty much going to get the same end result. The look is mainly all in the paints prep (polish/compound).

Old 05-28-2013
SOEC Member

Boostin is correct, its all in the paint prep if you know how to cut and polish a car and get it perfect you will be hard pressed to find a detail spray that you don't find problems with. Not to mention they can put micro scratched in the paint. I have tried everything, I am a detail nut! That being said I mostly use griots and chemical guys and trust me I have tried them all!
Old 05-28-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisj View Post
Boostin is correct, its all in the paint prep if you know how to cut and polish a car and get it perfect you will be hard pressed to find a detail spray that you don't find problems with. Not to mention they can put micro scratched in the paint. I have tried everything, I am a detail nut! That being said I mostly use griots and chemical guys and trust me I have tried them all!
Glad to know I'm not the only detailing nut around ;). I have become borderline obsessed and my g/f thinks I am crazy. Lol

One thing I do like to look for in certain qd's is something without wax/sealant in it. I figured the less I am rubbing on the car the more likely I can avoid micro abrasions.

Old 05-28-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
Glad to know I'm not the only detailing nut around ;). I have become borderline obsessed and my g/f thinks I am crazy. Lol

One thing I do like to look for in certain qd's is something without wax/sealant in it. I figured the less I am rubbing on the car the more likely I can avoid micro abrasions.

You are crazy...no borderline to it. Don't fight it.

Old 05-28-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
You are crazy...no borderline to it. Don't fight it.
So those voices were right Steve? ****, just ****! Lol

Old 05-28-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
So those voices were right Steve? ****, just ****! Lol

Mr. Miyagi say, "Wax on, wax off!"