The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-03-2017
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Help: Freshening up suspension, need spring input

I want to freshen up the suspension with new shocks, struts, and springs. I am also going to purchase 18" 94 Saleen wheels. How much lower than stock do the 89 Racecraft springs put the Saleen? Mine feels on the ground. I'd like to go maybe 1/2" higher than right now.

What are your thoughts on spring, strut, shock replacement? What are you running?
Old 03-05-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Should be about 1.5 lower, maybe more if the isolators are flattened out or missing.

I think the parts you use are dependent on how original you want to keep the car and how you plan on driving it.

I've had a lot of shocks and struts. Koni adjustables are my preference. Bilsteins are ok, but I like adjustable. I wouldn't go the bilstein route again.

If the car isn't a daily driver and you don't mind deviating from the originality, for sure MM coil overs in the front (with a springs rate of 250lb to 350lb depending on how aggressive you want the handling). H&R's in the rear (or all the way around if you don't want coil overs). It's amazing how much softer the MM h&r springs are than the saleen springs.

I was told the way saleen improved handling was to just stiffen the hell out of the springs, and after swapping out my progressives, i'd say that is true.

You could probably get about .25 in height back with new energy suspension isolators.

Be careful with tire selection with lemans wheels, it really has to be right for them not to rub.
With the rear of a real saleen wider, it may be optimal for you to have 4 of the same wheels as a opposed to a set of fronts and backs.
I have them reversed on my car, but it's not a real saleen, so...
Sold xp8 2000 #30, all options including alcons
Old 03-05-2017

Thanks Jcar, this is very helpful information. The car is super low so I'm guessing you're onto something with the Isolators. I was definitely leaning towards Bilstein. I'm never going to sell this car and I want it built for my liking. I'm keeping all the stock parts when I replace them but building the Saleen for weekend cruising and an occasional day at the track or auto cross.

I've read 18x10's are tough to fit in the back so likely to go 18x9 all the way around. Thanks again for the input, this is helpful.
Old 03-06-2017

18x10's can fit, but a tire that goes on them can't (I mean it can, but there will be many adverse effects).

94-98 lemans wheels come in 10mm and 30mm offsets and they are all 8.5 inches wide (other than the optional 10 inch wide rears which you really can't/shouldn't use).

There aren't any replicas made so you will have to use a real set. If the proper setup for your car is all one offset, it may be tough or costly because most sets will come with 2 fronts and 2 backs.

Browse the Maximuim motorsports catalog. They sell nothing but quality. I'm at a point where I don't buy anything from anyone else. And over the last 20 years, I've had a lot.
Since they are a company known as one of the best, their parts don't hurt the value of the car.

The beauty of the coil overs is that they go on very easy, they don't need isolators, you can adjust the height and if you don't like the feel you can just get another set of springs for about $75.
Old 03-06-2017

These are the wheels I want to put on it. I was hoping to stagger but will do 18x9's if needs be.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrome...tomo-stan.html
Old 03-07-2017

Those are new edge replicas.
I have them on my xp8 in black.

As I said earlier, carefully research and calculate the tire fitment, 9's on the front of a fox is a lot of wheel. And out back i'd suggest staying a 265 or below for a width. More than likely you are going to have to roll at least the rear fenders.