The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Enthusiast Forums > Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Detailing Interior & Exterior Car Care discussions sponsored by Mothers Polishes-Waxes-Cleaners.

Old 06-26-2011
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Detailing motor

So my husband is in the field training and I really wanted to detail my motor today. We bought this stuff called CD-2 Engine Detailer. (I hope that is good stuff). Anyways I've never done this before, does anyone have any advice on what to do or not to do? My motor is very clean, but I wanted to do this at least once a month (unless I need to do it more) to keep up w/ it. What parts of the motor should I not touch I guess is the main concern. If this is a job that I shouldn't do myself since I've never done this just let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-2011
Administrator

Hi Abby. I have never used this produced, but one thing to be careful of, a percentage of the degreasers / cleaners will remove the wax off the exterior of the vehicle. Considering you just waxed the car, I would be very careful in the application and removal of this product. Or you can "spot" the exterior finish have have to re-wax the given areas.

An advanced aged gentleman and Mustang Club of America member, introduced me to Simple Green back in around 1998. We were at a regional event showing our Fox Body 5-Liter Mustangs. He gave pointers of areas to clean and such. His 1992 convertible has won numerous MCA awards.

Anyway, I've used Simple Green since then... I've cleaned engine compartments and floor pans with this bathroom all-purpose cleaner. I typically apply the product with rags, tooth brushes, or paint brushes. And remove the material with a little spray bottle of water and rags.

If something is "really" dirty or in need of a grand detail, I would remove the parts in question and clean them separately from the vehicle.

I have never sprayed a product on / in the engine compartment and then washed it off with a high pressure hose. So, I cannot offer advice on this method.
Old 06-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Hi Abby. I have never used this produced, but one thing to be careful of, a percentage of the degreasers / cleaners will remove the wax off the exterior of the vehicle. Considering you just waxed the car, I would be very careful in the application and removal of this product. Or you can "spot" the exterior finish have have to re-wax the given areas.

An advanced aged gentleman and Mustang Club of America member, introduced me to Simple Green back in around 1998. We were at a regional event showing our Fox Body 5-Liter Mustangs. He gave pointers of areas to clean and such. His 1992 convertible has won numerous MCA awards.

Anyway, I've used Simple Green since then... I've cleaned engine compartments and floor pans with this bathroom all-purpose cleaner. I typically apply the product with rags, tooth brushes, or paint brushes. And remove the material with a little spray bottle of water and rags.

If something is "really" dirty or in need of a grand detail, I would remove the parts in question and clean them separately from the vehicle.

I have never sprayed a product on / in the engine compartment and then washed it off with a high pressure hose. So, I cannot offer advice on this method.
Thanks Dave. When I get home this afternoon I'll see how I do w/ detailing the motor (I'll let you know how it goes). I am going to pick up some Simple Green on my way home. I'm glad you told me about possibly spotting the exterior body paint. We just waxed the beast last weekend too. I was going to just wash her this weekend and wax possibly sometime this week before we head out of town for the 4th. Again, thanks for the help.
Old 06-27-2011
SOEC Member

CD-2 Engine Detailer is the BEST PRODUCT for your Engine Bay !! My engine bay was always clean anyways, but when I applied this to it, it made it look like it was sitting on the showroom floor w/ zero miles on the beast !! I applied it by spraying on a rag and then rubbing it into the parts you want detailed. It also repells dust, so another plus !!
Old 06-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedS281SC View Post
CD-2 Engine Detailer is the BEST PRODUCT for your Engine Bay !! My engine bay was always clean anyways, but when I applied this to it, it made it look like it was sitting on the showroom floor w/ zero miles on the beast !! I applied it by spraying on a rag and then rubbing it into the parts you want detailed. It also repells dust, so another plus !!
I tried this product yesterday and thought the same thing about how good it made my motor look. I was going to try to Simple Green that Dave told me about, but when I was out in town I forgot to buy some. I sprayed it on a rag as well and just rubbed certain parts of the motor. The only thing I didn't do was touch any wires and stuff. I didn't get into the "whole" motor, just what I seen on top. I used regualar windex on a rag to clean the body of the car where the motor sits. I didn't know if I could use that product on the painted part. Does that make sense?
Old 06-27-2011
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsStang06 View Post
I tried this product yesterday and thought the same thing about how good it made my motor look. I was going to try to Simple Green that Dave told me about, but when I was out in town I forgot to buy some. I sprayed it on a rag as well and just rubbed certain parts of the motor. The only thing I didn't do was touch any wires and stuff. I didn't get into the "whole" motor, just what I seen on top. I used regualar windex on a rag to clean the body of the car where the motor sits. I didn't know if I could use that product on the painted part. Does that make sense?
Sounds good - it will also work on the wires too, using the same method - fyi
Old 06-27-2011
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedS281SC View Post
I will have to disagree with you. There is one that is better. Fade to Black. CD2 works well, but is not intended to be applied as you are using it. Fade 2 Black is simply spray on & walk away and will last a couple of weeks with heavy driving. With CD2 applied as directed it comes out splocthy & requires wiping. If anyone is interested I can get you in touch with David who sells this product. CD2 is an alternative I use when out of Fade 2 Black. Let me know...you'll be amazed by this stuff.

Here's a link to order http://www.chemicalguys.com/SPRAY_DR...ir_spray_1.htm

Great stuff!!

12 F150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew Ingot Silver

Last edited by Nightstalker; 06-27-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Added link