The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 1998-2001 XP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1998-2001 XP For the XP6 & XP8 Ford Explorer-based models.

Old 04-17-2013
SOEC Member

Default Seeking info from Saleen, to get collector plates

I wondering if someone can tell me who to contact to get a letter from Saleen regarding info about my truck.
I discovered that in Minnesota you can get Collector license plates on any vehicle that's at least 10 years old and had less than 500 manufactured.

Here's the info that the DMV said I'd need to provide from Saleen:
Quote:
(b) The owner shall execute an affidavit stating (1) the name and address of the person from whom purchased and of the new owner, (2) the make of the motor vehicle, (3) the year and number of the model, (4) the manufacturer's identification number, (5) in the case of a vehicle described in paragraph (a), clause (1)(ii), that the vehicle has a body or engine style of which not more than 500 were manufactured or imported into the United States in any model year, and (6) that the vehicle is owned and operated solely as a collector's item and not for general transportation purposes.
(c) The owner shall provide a statement of the manufacturer or importer regarding the number of vehicles manufactured or imported during the model year.
Basically I need to prove that my truck was sold as a Saleen XP8 and not simply a modified Ford Explorer, and that only 57 were produced in 1998.
I'm hoping this would in fact be possible to obtain

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'01 Mustang GT 385whp/385tq
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 04-18-2013
SOEC Member

Call saleen and buy their certificate of authenticity (COA).

http://www.saleen.com/contact.html
Old 04-25-2013
SOEC Member

I finally got a hold of them yesterday. I had seen photos of other COA's online and it didn't include some of the info I needed but sounds like they'll be able to add those things in there. I'm hoping everything is accurate, they were a bit confused on the amount built and a few other things. I'll find out in 4 weeks...

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 04-26-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Andy hate to say I spoke with different people at Saleen and asked about getting copies of the window sticker and info on my XP. All I got was there is a trailer coming from Michigan with files and documents and would have the info in 30 days that was over a year ago. Sorry but don't hold your breath, not speaking bad of them but it is just disheartening that it seems no one cares about us XP owners. I feel sometimes like we are black sheep and that is dictated by the amount of trucks sold. I feel if there would have been more trucks sold the Customer Service would have been different.
Old 04-27-2013
SOEC Member

Holy crap, I'd definitely call them and see what's up. I know the lady there said she's waaay backed up. If mine takes too long, I'll be calling until they get sick of me. Can't be that tough to send one letter in a month's time!

Yeah they were a bit too rare I think and maybe not documented very well right off the bat. I know we've talked about that with the Saleen book; the fact that it doesn't mention XP6 #60 as being 4wd and not AWD. How does something like that get missed? But I have to say, I'm just glad Mr. Saleen made these trucks, documented well or not!

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus