The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 09-21-2009
SOEC Member

Question Saleen Speedster Question

Hey guys - Now that I am among the few the own Saleens and plan on taking my car to multiple Car Shows this fall. I am stuck in a predicument and just wanted to see what other Saleen Speedster Owners do. If I will be driving the car out of town w/ the tonneau cover on, what should I do with it at night when I put the top up?. My only thoughts are take it off and bring it into the motel or hotel room I will be staying at? Just seeing what you other owners have done in the past?
Old 09-21-2009

I've often had the same problem. Being a single piece unit, the darn thing won't fit into the back seat or trunk. My wife is pretty good a sewing, so I had her make me a leather storage bag for it so that I can transport it a little easier. I think your best bet for distant shows is to take it off and store it in another location if you have to overnight it.

A question for you, and other Speedster owners. What is the condition of your clamps under the rear underside of your cover, that slip under the rear trim and secure the rear of the cover to the back of the passenger compartment? When I bought my car, one of the 2 clamps was completely gone, and the other snapped off soon after. So now, the rear of my tonneau cover sort of "free floats" just resting on the back side.

Last edited by SC1039; 09-21-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2009
Inactive Account

Would she be interested in sewing more bag :)
Old 09-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenlocator View Post
Would she be interested in sewing more bag :)
Would be tough right now. She's in the middle of a Masters degree program, but after February it could be possible.
Old 09-21-2009
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
A question for you, and other Speedster owners. What is the condition of your clamps under the rear underside of your cover, that slip under the rear trim and secure the rear of the cover to the back of the passenger compartment? When I bought my car, one of the 2 clamps was completely gone, and the other snapped off soon after. So now, the rear of my tonneau cover sort of "free floats" just resting on the back side.
I purchased the car as new with one of the clamps broken off! I have the extra clamp and I have no idea how to reattach. I still have one on though.
Old 09-21-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1039 View Post

Both Clamps are on mine and are pretty sturdy - (none of them are loose/wobbly) - I think you just have to take your time taking them in and out. I also can not stand how they barelygive you any room between the styling bar and the cover when trying to take it out or place it in place. Always trying to keep from scratching the bar !!
Old 09-21-2009
Administrator

Forum member travcar might be able to supply you with a contact for a Speedster cover storage bag.
Old 09-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoS281 View Post
I purchased the car as new with one of the clamps broken off! I have the extra clamp and I have no idea how to reattach. I still have one on though.
I spoke to Jeff Clark, NorthEastern Regional Manager from Saleen about this at Ford Carlisle this summer. The cover is a 2 piece kit and the brackets/clamps or whatever we want to call them are attached prior to the 2 pieces coming together. There is no way to get these parts as spares or to reattach them after they have come off. We're basically SOL on this.
Old 09-22-2009
Inactive Account

Jeff is no longer with Saleen call Jess.