The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 07-25-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Help: Fox Motor Mount Issues - 1988

Hi all. I have an 88- 0035. Going through the car we replaced the motor mounts last year. Just bought polyurethane MM for 88 5.0 mustang. But after install the vacuum line off the throttle body was hitting the hood. Just a little so I let it go. Then this year I had the transmission rebuilt and replaced the transmission mount and now the transmission sits to high inside the car. It rubs on the console. Again just a little but enough to annoy me. Seems like to big a coincidence, any ideas on whats going on?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Both poly mounts?
I've had these issues over the years with energy suspension mounts, it's part of the reason i re-replaced mine with factory rubber mounts.

The trans mount was the biggest problem it caused some clearance issues with the shifter area.
Sold xp8 2000 #30, all options including alcons
Old 07-26-2017
SOEC Member

Is your 1988 a convertible??'
If so if you used a prothane brand mount you raised your engine at least 1/2" its the hardtop design mount...
All 1991 and up mustangs came with the "convertible" clamshell mounts prior years only had convertible mounts in convertibles. FYI Energy Suspension poly mounts are the same design as 91' up mounts. Prothane poly mounts mimic the old hardtop design, which is at least a 1/2" taller or more...A lot of people put the convertible mounts in pre 91' mustangs that are non convertible for more engine to hood/firewall header clearance...It's a stronger and lower profile design whether using rubber or urethane....this might help http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...ifference.html

Saleen Alcons,Dart Block 347,G Force T-5,Vortech T-trim,Glenns performance fuel system,Snow performance stage 3 methanol kit Etc...
Old 07-27-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks for both the replies guys. My car is a hatchback. Needless to say I will be replacing all mounts this month. Either the stock rubber, or if that thread is correct, (thanks 1989_402) I'll go with the energy mounts. Thanks guys!