The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 09-05-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Q: Instrument cluster programming? - 2001 S281

Long story short, a dingus jump started Dad's '01 Saleen against my stern warning of sending 200AMPs unbuffered through a cars electrical system, and managed to damage the instrument cluster / PATS system. There is now a persistent error light and "KAM voltage low" error code in the DIC. Several mechanics (not shade tree) have traced the issues to the integrated cluster.

The error itself does not present any (apparent) driveability issues. My understanding is the KAM specifically relates to retaining fuel mapping. This car was SCT tuned a number of years ago and thus has an "aftermarket" map stored in the ECU, presumably in the non-volatile memory.

We would like to solve the problem by replacing the cluster (and having PATS tuned back out of the car). Problem is, Saleen clusters of that year are difficult to find. After speaking with Saleen, they said the clusters were simply GT clusters with the gauges re-calibrated to the 200MPH speedo. The company they previously used, and provided contact info for, no longer recalibrates gauges. That company also did not know who else they could recommend. Bringing us to this:

Does anyone know of a company that can take a GT cluster and re-calibrate the speedo to 200MPH. We're local in the KCMO area, but have no issues shipping out to the coasts or wherever.

Thank you in advance.

(If you want the long-version story of the dingus, maybe I'll post that up later)
Old 09-06-2017
SOEC Member

IIRC the machine that was used to recalibrate the speedometers broke a long time ago and was never replaced. and your best bet is finding a gauge cluster from a used one....which as you have seen is incredibly difficult.

Someone can correct me but I think that might be the case. This was years ago. You could probably do a search on it up top.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 09-07-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Ugh, thanks Evil, that's what the former tuner thought as well (not that it was broken, but that it was simply gone (/ knowledge lost).
Old 09-07-2017
Saleen Forums Participant

Does it have to be from an 01? I know where you can get a cluster with the 200mph speedo from a 2000. Let me know.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

I suspect the parts are fully interchangeable; it would probably fit right in. The biggest issue is the few we have found can't guarantee/warrant function of the cluster; a difficult pill to swallow at $600. Send me a PM on the '00 cluster, I'll certainly check it out.
Old 09-07-2017
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre01 View Post
I suspect the parts are fully interchangeable; it would probably fit right in. The biggest issue is the few we have found can't guarantee/warrant function of the cluster; a difficult pill to swallow at $600. Send me a PM on the '00 cluster, I'll certainly check it out.
It is being parted out of a totaled car, not sure on mileage. The guys number is 541-543-4335. He told me he was asking 300 for it.
Old 09-11-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks man. I gave him a call and left a message. However, you might go back and scrub that number just in case. You never know what kinds of bots and crawlers will pick up that crap. Coming from a very small bus. Owner who deals with spam calls probably 50% of the time.