The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 05-24-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Q: Replacement rotors & pads? - 1989 Saleen

Looking to replace front rotors and pads, can anyone recommend an upgrade from stock that won't be too expensive? I need something that can withstand some heavy breaking while i run around with my friends in their supercars.
Old 05-24-2016
Saleen Forums Participant

Cheap and good brakes can't be used in the same sentence especially if you want to keep up with super cars that have 6 piston fronts and maybe just as many out back. This chassis was designed in the 70's and the brakes are based on the mid eighties SVO so you have to take that into consideration.

Options (this is not an all inclusive list, but a place to start):

There is an article in the current MM&FF with a brake upgrade for the Fox Saleen's that will fit behind your stock 5 spoke wheels. The kit is by Baer brakes. This is probably the best option to get serious brakes without changing your wheels.

The cheapest option would be to upgrade the pads but this will only be a small upgrade. Rotor size has a lot to do with braking performance and their ability to shed heat so replacement pads will only get you so far.

Another option is to upgrade to 17" Stern wheels and find a set of Alcon's for the front. This won't be cheap as the rotors get very pricey. Sterns are not cheap either. Finding a set of either is not an easy proposition. This will keep it as Saleen authentic as you can get, however.

Lastly you could upgrade to 94/95 GT spindles and run a set 13" Cobra 2 piston brakes. These kits are in the $560 to $600 range at places like LMR. 2000 Cobra R 4 piston Brembo's can be had for around $1200 as well. Once you upgrade the spindles all 94-04 big brake kits become an option. This is likely the cheapest option to get a good brake kits that will help you keep up, but you will need to factor in pricing to get 17" wheels for this option. In 96 Ford changed the spindles so you need to keep that in mind when buying brake kits.

The last option I gave is the route I took- 99 spindles and 4 piston Brembo's on my car. I also changes the brake booster, master cylinder, gutted the stock proportioning valve and run an aftermarket one. I also run a 18" Saleen wheels.
Black 89 Saleen #05. 345 horsepower FRPP motor, Holley Systemax, 6 spd tranny, Chrome Saleens 18x9/10's, 3.73's. 288 rwhp, 297 rwtq.
Old 05-24-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thank you for taking the time to give me a detailed response, I appreciate the information. I would like to keep the original wheels for now, she's been quite the project so far. I saw the Wildwood replacement kit on eBay for about $700 which is what sparked my interest. I may just go with a cheap replacement for now until I save up a few more bucks to go all the way. Thanks again !!
Old 05-24-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default What is MM & FF

There is an article in the current MM&FF with a brake upgrade for the Fox Saleen's that will fit behind your stock 5 spoke wheels.
Old 05-25-2016
Saleen Forums Participant

Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords.
Black 89 Saleen #05. 345 horsepower FRPP motor, Holley Systemax, 6 spd tranny, Chrome Saleens 18x9/10's, 3.73's. 288 rwhp, 297 rwtq.
Old 06-01-2016
SOEC Member

what about the SVO brake option? I only ask because I have SVOs on the SSC and wanted to put the Saleen Alcons but it would be a lot (well at least for me since I am new at the wrenching part of it) changing spindles was a big project for me (I have the sterns already )?
SSC 163 Super Charged #161 (under slow restoration)
98 S-351 Speedster #30
98 S281 Cobra Speedster #94
2000 S-281 Turbo Charged