The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 11-10-2012
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Question Questions about SCT with Bama Tunes on '99 Auto N/A

Looking at doing an SCT tuner from American Muscle with the Bama tuning. My car is 99-0145, N/A Auto Coupe. The only mods I am doing (for now) are intake and exhaust related, TB, Upper Intake, and CAI and ditching the stock H-pipe for a Pro-Chamber. Anyone know how much a custom Bama tune would help for a small amount of mods like this? I may be going with a 'Charger in the long run when I can find a deal, so I know I would need it at that point. Guys at Bama said around 15HP at the wheels that I should pick up, but it runs pretty darn good as it is (for an Auto). The main thing I can see that'll be a noticeable differnce would be the shift points. Any input would be appreciated!
Old 11-10-2012
SOEC Member

This is my opinion but 15 rwhp is not worth spending $300+ for a handheld and tune. I would wait until you get the supercharger and gain roughly 100hp then get the handheld with a dyno tune or road tune.

With the handheld you can change your shift points and do some tweeking with the tune. In order to really do anything you would have to hook it up to a laptop or simular device so you can see all the adjustable setting.

If you like the raspy (Box of Rocks) sound of a exhaust then the Pro-chamber is good. They don't last very long and would need to be replaced in about a year or two. They usually burn though on the back side bottom. Atleast that is what happen to mine and a friend's. I have the MAC axle back on my 2011 and I love them but they are Stainless Steel and the Pro-Chamber is not.
Old 11-10-2012

Appreciate the advice on the tuner, but I will have to disagree on the Pro-chamber. They do not have the real raspy tone of an x-pipe, yet they sound different than all the others with an H. I have had one on my '03 Mach 1 since around '05, roughly 7 years, and have had 0 issues, still sounds the same as the day I put it on.

As for the tuner, I was just looking for something that will tine my shift points, get the motor in sync a little better, and turn off the pesky MIL. My main point with the tuner is not to gain HP, just to get everything running a little smoother.

Does the factory Saleen tune do anything with shift points on an auto? Mine feels real close to how a stock GT feels, not firm, just kinda like, 'yeah I think I'll change gears now'. Although I believe my torque converter may be starting to give up the ghost as well. My wife can't notice it but I do.
Old 11-10-2012
SOEC Member

I am not sure if saleen does anything or not, But it was found during my dyno tune that the shift point from 1st to 2nd was set at 5800, If I remember right 2nd to 3rd is at 4600 and my lock up was set at 40 mph.

I too thought something was wrong with my converter because I can really feel the converter locking and unlocking if I drive at 40 mph.

2000-0793
265 lph fuel pump
Bassani highflow Mid Pipe
Kennebell 2.1L intercooled kit
with big air intake tube, CAI and 90 mm mass air
PA Competition series automatic with 2800 stall and 3.55's
31 spline Diff with Moser axles and Swars axle tube support system
Ford Racing Aluminum Drive shaft w/stifflers loop
UPR Chrome moly K-Member with A-arms
UPR Coilovers on front with Strange Adj Struts
21st century H.E.
Fluidyne Radiator
400 RWHP & 415 Ft lbs of torque
Old 11-10-2012

I'll have to pay attention to mine at what speed to see how mine is (don't know if which gears you have, mine's got the optional 3:55's), I usually notice at a certain RPM, almost feels like its slipping but its not. It must not be much, my wife drives it quite a bit and can't tell but with as picky as I am it drives me nuts. At full throttle it shifts nice and crisp, but at cruising speed it's a different animal.

I could send off my old Diablo handheld I already have but it is locked to my '01 Bullitt (which was totaled a few years ago), so I figured if I gotta spend money on one I should get something I can expand with, which is why I was looking at the SCT.
Old 11-10-2012
SOEC Member

I still have my stock 3:08 gears for about another month, Then I will switching to 3:55's along with Intercooler heatsheild, 66mm pulley and cobra brakes on all 4 corners.

2000-0793
265 lph fuel pump
Bassani highflow Mid Pipe
Kennebell 2.1L intercooled kit
with big air intake tube, CAI and 90 mm mass air
PA Competition series automatic with 2800 stall and 3.55's
31 spline Diff with Moser axles and Swars axle tube support system
Ford Racing Aluminum Drive shaft w/stifflers loop
UPR Chrome moly K-Member with A-arms
UPR Coilovers on front with Strange Adj Struts
21st century H.E.
Fluidyne Radiator
400 RWHP & 415 Ft lbs of torque
Old 11-11-2012

save money for a real tune
Old 11-14-2012
SOEC Member

I have an SCT tuner through Bama on my 02 NA. I have several bolt ons that it seems to compliment well. My honest opinion is if you are planning on going big later down the road, save the cash for that project. I can tell a pretty noticable difference but I plan to keep mine where its at and nothing crazy, pretty much have it right where I want it. What it did best, after the intake, throttle body, plenum, etc.., it had a high idle and wasnt set for what had been done. It brought my idle down smooth and cleaned up driveability. It drives like a different car and I personally like it, but it probably wont match what you are looking for with bigger plans ahead.
Old 11-18-2012

Well my 'down the road' plans will probably be a year or 2 down the road, and will be doing a Saleen Charger, just a basic set-up, that is if I can ever get the funding and find one cheap enough, which may never happen. This is my DD that my wife drives on occasion also, so mine is nothing wild and crazy, nor will it be, I have other vehicles for playing.

Thanks for the post raraytdog, that was the info I was needing, just wanted to see if it would smooth things out since right now that seems to be what I need most. Just wanted feedback from a fellow Saleen owner with an N/A car with similar mods. Thanks y'all, I'll probably be giving the SCT a shot.