The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 05-30-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default New Owner: 00-0331 S281 SC

Hello,

Been quite some time since I've posted on or even visited a forum. Excited about my recent purchase of a 2000 Saleen S281-SC #331 with 8,300 miles! P/O added some bolt-ons, larger MAF, smaller pulley, off-road H-Pipe, exhaust, intake, tune, tri-ax shifter, boost-a-pump. Custom painted some interior bits to match the Satin Silver exterior. Other than that, all original. I'm upgrading the side mirrors with silver ones from American Muscle, added a lower profile hood antenna and replaced the 17 year old original Pirelli P-Zeros with Michelin Super Sports since the Pirelli's were badly flat spotted. The car sat for a long time so the brake system had to be flushed. Oil change with Mobil 1 synthetic, radiator flushed, all fluids changes. In the middle of changing out the supercharger bypass valve so it engages lower in RPM range without planting the accelerator to the floor. Have some minor cosmetic issues to address so going to the paint and wheel shop next. The carbon fiber heat extractor hood does not close properly and needs to be re-aligned, some small scratches on the front chin spoiler and rear bumper. Two of the wheels have minor road rash.

Question - I was thinking about removing the side pony badges, rear Ford oval badge and also the hood antenna, filling the holes and painting while it is at the paint shop. I'll add an internal antenna for the radio. The shop I use does show-car quality work so I'm not worried about any issues there. I think it would look cleaner but not sure if value of the car will take a hit. I'd keep the rear S281 and Supercharged badges on the trunk. I sold my 1970 Ford Mustang resto-mod for north of $50K and was not all original so it's not clear to me that these minor cosmetic changes will matter if done tastefully/professionally? Also - have a vanity plate on order that will be "331".

Click image for larger version

Name:	2000 Saleen S281-SC Delivery.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	22074

Name:	2000 Saleen S281-SC Garage.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	22075
Old 05-31-2017
Administrator

Welcome to the forums and great purchase!

If future value is of interest to you, best to leave modifications to the bolt-on / bolt-off variety.

Enjoy your new car!
Old 05-31-2017
Saleen Forums Participant

Nice ride,

I have a question.What bypass valve will you be using. Can I get a model number?

Bob
Old 05-31-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

I'm not sure yet. The shop doing the work hasn't let me know what part they selected (holiday weekend they were closed). Once they call with an estimate, I will find out and let you know. I hate that you have to floor the go-pedal to engage the supercharger. I have a twin turbo AMG E63-S that has better response! I thought superchargers were supposed to provide immediate boost? This is my first supercharged car.
Old 05-31-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Welcome to the forums and great purchase!

If future value is of interest to you, best to leave modifications to the bolt-on / bolt-off variety.

Enjoy your new car!
Yeah, I'm thinking that I should leave well enough alone with the badges. I did remove the SCCA stickers on both windows though. My kid's couldn't see out of the back windows with them on. :-) I'll leave the badges. Just ordered a replacement pony badge for the passenger's side - new OEM from Ford online dealer since the tail of the pony had broken off - most likely caught on a wash rage or something. I'm not going to tint it either. Maybe I'll enter it in a show or two since it is so original. Then again, I'm not into it for a lot of money so I'm on the fence about customizing it (lowering it a bit, badge removal, tint). I'll wait for a but and drive it some and go from there. Thanks for the welcome. The little bit I've driving it around town I get these two questions: "Is it real?" and "I always wanted one".
Old 06-01-2017

Beautiful car!! I just picked up my saleen 00-0381
Old 06-01-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
Beautiful car!! I just picked up my saleen 00-0381
Nice! Sibling cars! What color?
Old 06-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper View Post
Nice! Sibling cars! What color?
It's a black car.

Can you post up some pics of your interior? I'm thinking of added some touches to mine to match the silver stripes.
Old 07-27-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Interior Pics

Sorry - been on travel for the last 30 days. Just got back to town.

Name:	file1-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	22385

Name:	file-3.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	22386

Name:	file-4.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	22387

Name:	file-5.jpg
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	22388
Old 07-28-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Looks good

Nice pictures...super clean. Looks like 8,300 miles. Nice find. I'd say anything you do make sure it's reversible, but have fun and enjoy the ownership. Pretty rare to have such a low mile car. Gotta love those metal pedals. I have the composite ones :/