PDA

View Full Version : 9th Annual tour d'Orange

deluxe
12-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Yes folks, it appears confirmed. As if they think it would just stop.:eek: I checked just now with Bench-Racing.com and here's what they said:
January 1st 2012 9th Annual “Tour d’Orange”. Now a Southern California tradition for many and arguably the first car event of the New Year. Meet at the corner of Fisher and Redhill in Costa Mesa. Arrive by 8:30 AM, maps at 8:45 AM, DEPART AT 9 AM. There is no formal notice besides this. All cars welcome. Please pass this notice to your respective car clubs and like minded enthusiasts.
I suggest you get there earlier than 8:30 or you'll park in the rear. Take the time to enjoy all the wonderful cars and then get out amongst the beasts for the 70 mile loop of the OC with maybe 300 car enthusiasts. All cars are welcome. There was a Prius two years ago and one Smart car last year. However if you're listening leave them at home.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

deluxe
12-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm sorry but I just had to do this. Here's my post from last year, which hopefully will get your juices flowing:
This one is a blast for those who like to drive amongst other beasts on a 70 mile loop through Orange County CA. They meet at the corner of Fisher and Redhill in Costa Mesa with a departure at 9:00 a.m. but you should get there early as there will be more than 250 awesome vehicles.
Last year they proceeded through Laguna Beach on PCH then up high speed boulevards to Live Oak and Santiago Canyons. When they come out onto high speed boulevards everyone is a little antsy and there is spirited driving.

They finish at a large parking lot at In and Out Burger for those who are left. All this takes place on January 1st. 2010.

It's not for those who party all night on New Years Eve or those who rather show their vehicle and not put on the miles. This is a real cruise open to all vehicles from Ferrari's, Lambo's, Lotus's, classics, sports cars, vintage race cars, kits, contemporary vehicles including a Prius (gag me) but there are so many cool vehicles it's really something.

Last year I didn't see any other Saleens but then I didn't see all the cars. This year I want to arrive early to check out the vehicles and share stories.

Hope some of our members can make it. I would set up a meeting place but I'm lucky to get there on time myself. Last year I rolled in at 8:55 not realizing what I was getting into and was so late they let me back into the front row. They took up a commercial side street, 5 across and as far as I could see.

The people were cool and I had a great time. This is the best event of this type all year. It's put on by Bench-Racing. Go to their site and maybe you'll find the post. It's listed under events. They say it will be the only post for this event as it's kind of a low key cannonball run. We do the speed limit most of the time.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Oh, and by the way for you folks everywhere other than SoCal, we're going through a cool down so the weather will only be sunny and 74 degrees.
See Jim's post below from the 8th annual Tour d'Orange for a map.

deluxe
12-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Bump. And then I got this email. It has several videos of the 2010 & 11 Tour d'Orange. Don't know how they got my email address.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ9nknpa-mI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrCtUVOvvak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLk1Fbg7NVk&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLA15D60EE3604D0FE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gQt0ZnYHo
Try these.
70 mile loop takes about an hour and three quarters. Ever time you stop there's different cars around you, all worth checking out. Folks on the sidewalk checking out the spectacle. 300 cars going by takes about 20 minutes.
If you show up I'm in the Silver Saleen #222. White hair in black. Maybe my Saleen shirt but it will be too cold in the early a. m. Say "hello deluxe".

deluxe
12-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Again I apologize for those in the colder climates. Forecast for 1-1-2012, Sunny and 83 degrees. T-shirts and hot rods. Can't beat it.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

xdragboatracr
12-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Hey Delux ; I'm going to try to make it this year. Coming from the Topanga/Malibu area Look for a 2000 S-281 Laser Red vert #476 Looks like a great weekend. Alan

deluxe
12-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Alan: I remember you and your red vert. We talked at Barrett Jackson after the police guided caravan. I always look for all Saleens at the Td'O. I'll look for you but if you see me stumbling around say hello.:smile:

deluxe
01-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Huge turnout. Had to be the best yet. More than 300 cars. The GF said up to 400. Several Saleen's including my friend Alan with his red vert, the black Saleen with the Lambo doors and a new friend with a beautiful yellow Saleen. Ton's of photos but not sure how to upload them. A friend from my other club Orange County "Outlaw" Mustangs has video.

deluxe
01-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Photo Gallery Link:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=647C230F96E9A996&id=647C230F96E9A996!902

Dave
01-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Huge turnout. Had to be the best yet. More than 300 cars. The GF said up to 400. Several Saleen's including my friend Alan with his red vert, the black Saleen with the Lambo doors and a new friend with a beautiful yellow Saleen. Ton's of photos but not sure how to upload them. A friend from my other club Orange County "Outlaw" Mustangs has video.

You can upload images from your computer using the paperclip icon http://saleenforums.soec.org/imagesSOECRedBlack/editor/attach.gif in a new post.

deluxe
01-01-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm hoping this uploaded. It was a photo supplied by one of the Organizers of the 2012 Tour d'Orange. No accidents, injuries or arrests.

deluxe
01-19-2012, 06:21 PM
So I'm trying to find the count for the 9th annual Tour d'Orange and I'm communicating with Marc. Here's one of his replies:
Hi Art, yes I agree a very fun event. I bet you don't know about the history of Saleen and our shop? The making of Saleen was filmed at our shop in 1994. All 1994 saleen's were built by us and Steve's new crew before they moved to Irvine.

Go to YouTube and search tour d orange 2012 or friend me on facebook to view our page.

See you next year I should have the Saleen S7 ready to drive.

Marc

He'll have his Saleen S7 running for next years Tour :eek::eek::eek:. I'll be there.