PDA

View Full Version : New Coil Covers

Stanghungry
11-14-2012, 06:58 PM
I took the old coil covers off the car to have them painted red candy. I removed the factory SMS piece of thin sheet metal off the olds ones. I must say they looked like some one found a piece of sheet metal in the shop and slapped them on. :mad:

So, I bought the door kick plates in chrome and installed them with a new decal. A much better quality job in my mind that should have been done the first time.

I mailed the old ones back to SMS with a letter about my displeasure of the quality of work. I will never here back from SMS/Saleen but I feel better. :cool:

If I ever had a chance to build a car and put my name on it this would have never been done like it was.

Dave
11-14-2012, 07:47 PM
The SMS coil cover emblems were just repurposed kick plate logos. Not all 2011 SMS 302 have these metal plates to cover the 'Powered by Ford' text.

Stanghungry
11-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Dave,

My car had them and they were nothing but
Junk. They were awful for such a high priced
Vehicle.

Dave
11-14-2012, 08:01 PM
I am not saying you are wrong. I am clarifying what they were originally used for.

They are of the same construction as the 2005-09 'Saleen' logo kick plates.

Jim D.
11-14-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm pretty sure they weren't designed to be removed. Obviously they got bent in the removal process, which is unfortunate.

Dave
11-14-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm pretty sure they weren't designed to be removed. Obviously they got bent in the removal process, which is unfortunate.

Correct. They are not made to remove. I removed a pair of plates from S331 trim... and had to very very very careful. The plates are held on with the super sticky adhesive. Like what is used to attach the body kits.