PDA

View Full Version : Leather Cleaner

Champion Autosport
09-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Can anyone here tell me what the best leather cleaner and conditioner is to use on SSC leather seats to keep them looking brand new, and a leather cleaner that will not take any of the dye out of the leather was you clean it. Thanks in advance.

Dave
09-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Good question. I'm curious too.

Keep in mind the white surface areas can turn yellow with the wrong product.

thgach
09-14-2008, 09:35 AM
I used meguiar's on my ssc, never had a problem, hope that helps

Jim D.
09-14-2008, 10:06 AM
I prefer Mothers or Lexol dedicated cleaners and conditioners, though the Mothers Reflections Leather Care is a nice one-step cleaner and conditioner.

I have never heard of any of the quality brands currently on the market that have stained leathers, but it could have been an inferior product, a temporary condition from using too much product, or the leather may have had some other issues.

On neglected or worn leather, that is when the concern comes about from using a strong dedicated cleaner, as you're just going to advance the appearance of the neglect. If the finish is worn, cracked, scratched or brittle, or if the integrity of the finish is otherwise in doubt, apply cleaner sparingly onto a soft plush microfiber towel first (lightly water-dampened if more moisture is needed or if you want to dilute the cleaner somewhat).

When using any cleaner (or a cleaner/conditioner), massage gently, flipping to a clean panel of the towel as it becomes soiled; apply more product to the towel if needed.

Once clean, apply conditioner sparingly and gently work it into the leather evenly with a plush microfiber. Buff gently with a dry cloth to remove any slickness or greasiness.

You could also use quality 100% cotton terry in either case, but microfiber is often gentler on the finish.

Champion Autosport
09-14-2008, 01:14 PM
thanks for the input guys, I will try to pickup either brand mentioned, where do you get the Lexol brand and microfiber towels to apply it with? Thanks again.

Jim D.
09-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Lexol is available at most automotive and hardware stores. Mothers Leather Cleaner or Leather Conditioner is available at some True Value, or you can order any of their products through Advance Auto (or online). Meguiar's is available most everywhere.

Any plush microfiber should do the job... most anything over $2.00 each is a safe bet; cheaper than that and it's a crap shoot, and be sure to inspect the quality, the stitching, and make sure any corners or edges are smooth and soft.