PDA

View Full Version : Stumbles @Cold Start?

1966-Galaxie
12-02-2008, 02:04 AM
My 2008 S331SC runs very rough in the first 20-30 seconds after cold start after overnight or all day at work. Engine stumbles and sometimes stalls. Sometimes causes the “CHECK GAUGES” or “<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"><?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:State u2:st="on"><u1:place u2:st="on">CAL</st1:place></st1:State></u1:place></u1:State>” messages in the odometer window. Providing some acceleration helps. Worst when temperature is 50 – 55 degrees. Noticed in the last few days with temperatures in the low 40’s that problem is not as obvious, but engine runs at higher RPM upon start at this lower temperature, masking the problem. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
When I had it in for warranty work, dealer contacted Saleen and at first had my PCM sent in for re-flash. When they returned it to the dealer, problem still there so dealer called Saleen again. Turns out one of the engineers at Saleen has a truck with the same problem and they are working on a fix to the tune for it. Apparently, relates to the tune assuming one of the sensors is providing good data on cold start, which it is known not to do. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem (have not seen any other posts about it?<o:p></o:p>
I am contemplating moving to the JDM tune in any case to improve overall performance and through e-mail exchange, they have not heard of this problem, but don't think their tune would exhibit this problem.<o:p></o:p>

Light02atl
12-02-2008, 09:18 AM
I started mine in 35 degree weather yesterday. It idled high, but came back down to about 900 RPM in about 30 seconds or so. I cant say that I have ever had it stumble and stall though. Doe syour CEL stay on or does it come on and then go away? You could take it to AutoZone or someplace like that and have them read the code for free. At least then, if you decide to go with a tune, you can tell your tuner you are having this problem.

Choose your tuner wisely.

SaleenKS
12-02-2008, 07:17 PM
I wish Saleen would get with Troyer or JDM and send all of us a stage 1 kit for FREE so our trucks will run properly. My truck has never stalled but I know exactly what youre talking about. If I just start and go it surges when I take off.

gomez331sc
12-02-2008, 08:31 PM
well guys mine has, but i thought it was because i hadnt started in i couple of weeks. it took 20 min. for the idel to get down to normal. but B4 that it stalled 2Xs B4 it ran. it was only 28* out. id be interested if any of you find anything out.

Kathoga
01-10-2009, 03:06 AM
My 2008 S331SC runs very rough in the first 20-30 seconds after cold start after overnight or all day at work. Engine stumbles and sometimes stalls. Sometimes causes the “CHECK GAUGES” or “<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"><?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:State u2:st="on"><u1:place u2:st="on">CAL</st1:place></st1:State></u1:place></u1:State>” messages in the odometer window. Providing some acceleration helps. Worst when temperature is 50 – 55 degrees. Noticed in the last few days with temperatures in the low 40’s that problem is not as obvious, but engine runs at higher RPM upon start at this lower temperature, masking the problem. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
When I had it in for warranty work, dealer contacted Saleen and at first had my PCM sent in for re-flash. When they returned it to the dealer, problem still there so dealer called Saleen again. Turns out one of the engineers at Saleen has a truck with the same problem and they are working on a fix to the tune for it. Apparently, relates to the tune assuming one of the sensors is providing good data on cold start, which it is known not to do. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem (have not seen any other posts about it?<o:p></o:p>
I am contemplating moving to the JDM tune in any case to improve overall performance and through e-mail exchange, they have not heard of this problem, but don't think their tune would exhibit this problem.<o:p></o:p>

Odd I have not had that problem... I have had excellent customer service from Frontier Anacortes (assuming thats where you bought the truck) I also would deffinetly recommend getting the tune from JDM... BIG difference in the way the truck runs. I can't wait to get the Stage II kit. Hopefully will be calling in in the next week or so. :smile:

1966-Galaxie
01-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Kathoga,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Thanks for your note ... so, looks like you are down in Auburn ... that is even farther from Anacortes than I am ... I have also found Frontier to be excellent customer service ... perhaps you have worked with Frank the Service Manager ... they were very helpful working on this stumbling problem, but are waiting for Saleen to get a tune fix for it. <o:p></o:p>
In the mean time, I now have ~2,500 miles on the truck and the problem is almost gone, although I sometimes get the "CAL" on the odometer (this indicates the compass is trying to recalibrate itself ... it seems to stay on until you have done enough turns to make at least a 360).<o:p></o:p>
Now I see that JDM is offering his tune for $1,399 with 3 tunes if he gets 5 interested parties ... so I might make the plunge and go that way ... from everything I hear, a custom tune is a definite plus.<o:p></o:p>
If you ever get up this way (to Woodinville), stop in ... it would be great to share experiences and introduce you to the rest of my Ford collection.<o:p></o:p>

Kathoga
01-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Yes, Frank is great... also Heather is usually my service rep... with Frank contacting Saleen when needed.
Frontier Ford has gone through hoops for me and my truck. Always a great Customer Experience with Anacortes Saleen I would recommend them to anyone... I shudder at some of the stories I have read in the forums about some dealers working on someones S331 truck for a month.

Not to mention Frontier Ford has the LARGEST selection of Saleen's I have seen at any dealership around here :smile: I swear last time I was there, there were 20-30 at least!
I am pushing 22,000 mi currently on my truck.
I would love to get the upgrade from JDM, however I will need to call them to check price, as I already have the tuner from them... perhaps it will be cheaper?

1966-Galaxie
02-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Well, now at 3,500 miles and the stumbling seems to have disappeared !! ... maybe it was a sensor that needed to break-in? Will be interesting to see if it comes back as the temps start to warm-up back into the 50's and 60's this spring. Still get the "<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">CAL</st1:place></st1:State>" on the odometer every once in a while, which I think means compass calibrate mode is initiated ... sure enough, after you make a 360 loop, the message clears and the odometer comes on again. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
So, with things on hold at Saleen right now, I'm sure no one is working on that new tune for this problem anyway. Still, can't wait to get to a JDM or Troyer tune to get the performance where it should be.<o:p></o:p>
With all of the issues being discussed on this site, I must add that I still love driving this truck every time I get in it ... it turns heads every where I go ... while my Harley is faster for now, this truck handles and stops much nicer than the Harley.<o:p></o:p>
BTW, from reading the Saleen Alley on-line, looks like Steve Saleen will be out here in the Seattle area (Kirkland, WA) in July to attend the Northwest Mustang Round Up and will "sign" your Saleen ... confirmed with the local club that he will be here and take the time to autograph you car (although this is a Mustang show, our trucks are welcome) ... planning on having him autograph my original window sticker as well. Would enjoy meeting any of you at the show! Yes, summer will eventual get here.

wcdean
03-03-2009, 01:26 PM
I have the same issue with cold starts but mine only lasts for about 5 seconds

geetea67
08-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Revisiting this thread as my truck has been doing the same thing for the last 3 months. Dealer has changed plugs, searched for codes. they seem to think it needs a reflash.... Already have the latest Saleen one done.... My question is, Has anyone switched over to the JDM/Troyer reprogram and solved the issue, or has anyone had a dealer solution that fixed the cold start stumble issue? Thanks in advance for any info.

wcdean
08-06-2009, 07:38 PM
mine stopped after i had the jdm kit installed...

geetea67
08-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the info! I will be on the phone in the AM to JDM. What stage JDM kit did you go with, and how did it work out for you?

wcdean
08-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Stage I kit (I guess) now, but I have a few other mods. Not exactly sure what the Stage II consists of...

3.2 pulley
JDM cold air
Fluidyne dual pass intercooler
3" Magnaflow exhaust

Currently in for a 4.56 rear end and tune modification. Hopefully should get it back tomorrow...

geetea67
08-06-2009, 08:07 PM
I'd be interested in hearing how the 4.56's work out for you, as I am planning on the same swap! Good luck!

wcdean
08-06-2009, 08:08 PM
I'll keep you posted...

1966-Galaxie
08-07-2009, 02:57 AM
Just to provide another input ... I originated this thread and went through the stock "reprogram" drill with no imporvement. See my post in the JDM kit below ... yup, the instant I put the kit in the problem dissapeared and I love the extra HP and "hearing" the supercharger !!

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showpost.php?p=19673&postcount=65