PDA

View Full Version : Questions: Spark Plugs & Brakes? - 1999 S281 S/C

Snipes2323
03-21-2009, 10:38 AM
I recently bought a 1999 281sc, it is the sweetest car I've ever owned. I was wondering what recomendations for spark plugs. I have never owned a supercharged car before. Also would like to know what I have to do or who I have to contact at Saleen to get info? I would like to do a break job also. I think it has the 13" upgrade but I'm not sure. Please help me out, thanks

Dave
03-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Also would like to know what I have to do or who I have to contact at Saleen to get info?

I'd contact Jess or Jeff. They seem to be running the customer support for MJ/Saleen.

Dave
03-22-2009, 12:31 PM
I would like to do a break job also. I think it has the 13" upgrade but I'm not sure. Please help me out, thanks

For your 1999, if your S281 was shipped with the Saleen brake upgrade, I believe you should have the Alcon or AP Racing Calipers. Both with engraved SALEEN script on the caliper face.

If you have a gloss black caliper, with a gold SALEEN sticker on the face (or a white Brembo sticker), then someone installed the Brembo kit.

Feel free to take and post a photo.

S281SC
03-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Saleen Brake ID Guide (http://www.sunflower.com/~shopdrop11/brakes.htm) with pictures. :wink:

Greg Wackett
03-22-2009, 04:12 PM
GREAT!!!! Site

Snipes2323
03-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks for all the replys. The car is currently at Mossy Ford for a P0720 code. Stupid thing was barely running. I will look at the brakes when I get the car back. Any ideas out there on spark plugs?

eviligloo
03-23-2009, 07:56 AM
I have NGK TR6 spark plugs with my tune.

No idea what they're gapped at....but If I had a penny for everyone that asked me I'd be ridiculously rich!

SaleenJ911
03-23-2009, 10:11 AM
I was running the same NGK TR6 plugs @ .032

wpgfordguy
03-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Yup, all my 2v and 4v cars run TR6's at .032

Snipes2323
03-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Well turns out there is a bad seal between my intake and supercharger so Mossy Ford is fixing it and replacing my plugs to what ever saleen is sending them. Not too bad but $$$ :( I will take a look at the brakes when I get the car back. Thanks again

SaleenJ911
03-30-2009, 06:45 PM
I had the same issue with the gasket..blower sucked it right inside and gobbled it up..but it did a tiny bit of damage to one of the rotors..not a huge problem but will need to be replaced at some time
I have the gaskets for the fixed if you need anything

Snipes2323
04-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Ok so Mossy Ford told me that wasnt the problem after I spent over 2500.00 :( Now they said it's a cracked plenum! WTF so I took the car back. I'm going to try and rip it open this weekend. Anyone have a simular problem, the Air Fuel Ratio Gauge bounces all over and at idle it runs below 900 rpms. The check engine light goes off and on. Please help!

ZR5.0
04-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Plenum can be repaired by roughing up the damaged area and applying JB Weld. Splash of grey hammertone paint will have er looking like new in no time.

Snipes2323
04-17-2009, 12:35 PM
So I've decided to replace the IAC Sensor and the TPS. Hopefully this will work. I looked all over the Plenum and could not find a leak or hear one. I think Ford just wanted more money.

SaleenJ911
04-17-2009, 07:04 PM
So I've decided to replace the IAC Sensor and the TPS. Hopefully this will work. I looked all over the Plenum and could not find a leak or hear one. I think Ford just wanted more money.

Just because it is called a 'Idle' air control..don't think that is what it does..control idle..
in fact..it doesn't work when the engine is just idling..
an IAC works as a bypass for the throtle body..when the T/B plate is closed and there is an excessive load on the engine..steering lock, brakes are being applied, or A/C compressor is on..the IAC motor works to prevent the engine from bogging or stalling out..
I have had the same issue withing idling..but you should rule out other issues..like simple wear items..spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter..
believe it or not..but a mass air has more do do with idle control than a IAC..something like to much K&N oil on the filter can cause irratic idle issues..
You had an issue with a supercharger gasket..check on thw vacuum ports on the back side of the plenum..
with already having air forced into the engine..any such leaks between the mass air will reak havoc on the computer..
I hope that I can help out with same issue I had..sucks that the dealer has takening you for a ride..and you still have the same problem
but if you need an IAC..I have a BRAND new one that I bought because I thought the same thing !!

Jason

Snipes2323
05-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Ok, so I replaced the IAC just because I bought one. I installed a new Chicane Ripper Intake and I'm still having the problem. I looked all over the plenum and can't find a leak. Could too much oil in the intake cause the MAF to do this? The spark plugs and fuel filter were changed less than 300 miles ago. What else could cause this idle problem, it says it's running lean.

SaleenJ911
05-01-2009, 03:10 PM
What else could cause this idle problem, it says it's running lean.[/quote]

VACUUM LEAK !!!!!!!

take a can of carb cleaner and start spraying at varies parts around the s/c and anywhere else..

Be sure to check to vacuum ports have all the caps on them..
I got 5 on it !!!!

SaleenJ911
05-12-2009, 05:47 PM
I was just wondering how everything has worked out with your car..
Did you get it running right ???

Snipes2323
05-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Still don't know, my mad scientist is going to tear it apart begining of june. Do you have a pic of the caps you were talking about on yours?

SaleenJ911
05-14-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't have any pics of my car..it was totaled 3 yrs ago..:mad:

But your drivers side valve cover PCV tube runs right to it..
just follow that and it runs to the largest, middle, port..then there a bunch of smaller ports that should have caps on them..the lower ones usually become saturated from the oil and will errode and fall off..
any auto parts store stocks them

Hope that helps

Jason

Snipes2323
06-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks to everyone who has tried to help. I took the car to JBA and finally figured out what was wrong. I had the #1 and #2 piston cracked. So I'm getting a new bottom end put in all forged. Thanks again

wpgfordguy
06-02-2009, 12:58 PM
whoa , crap deal!