PDA

View Full Version : So.. you would to change your SC pulley...

muzzy
06-10-2009, 08:45 PM
You can’t just change your pulley to a smaller one. I would like to let everybody know what it really takes to change your pulley. One day I got the bright idea to add a little horsepower to my stock 2004 281 sc conv. not understanding what I was getting into. I bought a 2.9 pulley from pulley boys for $89. bucks and put it on my SC. Than I was told that I needed to get a tune because my car would run lean. When I ordered the tune I was told: you should order all the parts “mods” now because each time you add a mod you need to retune your car. I was also told to go to a cooler plug because of the added boost from the smaller pulley so I went with the tr6 plugs gaped @.035. Now we come to the belt, I needed to order a smaller belt because of the smaller pulley and a mosaleen pulley sys so my belt won’t slip. Now because of the smaller pulley I needed to let more air into the SC so I ordered a JLT cold air intake. So lets see 2.9 pulley, mosaleen pulley sys, new belt, TR6 plugs, JLT cold intake, and a tune by JDM total cost so far $900. Now my engine light has been staying on and the reason, the stock MAF can’t handle the added boost or HP so it peeks out under high RPM and ask the car for more gas. Than when you are driving the car easy it thinks it still needs the added gas so It makes the car run to rich. The fix: I needed to add a 90mm MAF and 42 pound injectors another $590 bucks. I spent some time with JDM Sr. on the phone today and he explained all this to me and it all makes sense. That $89. pulley cost me $1500. We will talk about the fuel pump next week.:eek:
Muzzy

fud
06-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Yep.

There's no such thing as a $90 miracle part. :)

67fire
06-10-2009, 11:48 PM
I saved a few bucks by getting the 42# injectors and the 90 mm Lightning MAF at Buyfordracing.com :wink:

Isn't this FUN!

Eric

Agent_177
06-11-2009, 08:30 AM
I saved a few bucks by getting the 42# injectors and the 90 mm Lightning MAF at Buyfordracing.com :wink:

Isn't this FUN!

Eric

Did the samething!

Muzzy, I feel your pain. I have done all the same, but I also bought a Lightning fuel pump.
Stage3 has them for $70.

eviligloo
06-11-2009, 09:22 AM
You got off easy at that price, muzzy! I did gears, colder plugs, pulley, fuel pump and custom tune and it cost me over $2k in parts and labor.

At least you have a lot more cool stuff than I did at that point! :cool:

blackbob
06-12-2009, 06:45 AM
UUmmmm......I thought everyone knew this stuff ? Well like I always say "Add about 1000 to the final price of any perfomance mod". This is a very good rule of thumb for just about anything tune related.

Werecow
06-13-2009, 10:04 AM
****! Guess I'll scratch off that K&N Air Filter then... No, but seriously. A lot of people want to mod there motors and not think about the effects to the rest of the engine tune or drivetrain. Case and point, a guy at work wants to drop a 475 HP 302 in his high-mileage fox-body. I tried to explain to him that things like his transmission and rear axel may not like the new-found horsepower increase. Not to mention his fuel system may require an update. All performance mods, moderate and above, always take more time, effort and money than one would think. That is why these forums are so cool, there is all that experience from those who have done the work before and know the ins and outs.

gtconv91
06-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Pulley... ya need that for extra ponnies

The stock plugs might need regapped but wtih 2 psi of boost best case thats 30 hp... but they are also cheap and easy to swap...

programmer... how far with the stock saleen tune go...?? has anyone tested with on a dyno with a wideband 02..??? (I have a 91 twin turbo'd 306 on Fords stock tune, no chip.. nothing and runs **** good)

Mass air, has any one tried a C&L..?? you use the stock sensor with a bigger housing and correct feed tube for the inj's... so you can stick with the stock inj.

the belt... take the car to napa... and test fit belts.... they are cheap as well...

pulley system... try VHT on the belt...

and cold air... not needed... but anytime you can free up restriction is a plus...

These are just my opinion... if there is an issue to these please feel free to correct me

artstang
07-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Wow, I didn't realize that it going to cost this much just to change to smaller size pulley. Thanks Muzzy, I will just leave mine stock all the way.
Artstang

muzzy
07-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Looking back at this point I’m happy with what I have done to my car…it runs good. I just did not know what I was getting into. To spend less money I think all I would do (if I was just starting out) is change to a JLT cold air, gaterback belt, and a 93 octane tune by JDM. That simple change would give you around 35+RWHP and cost about $600.00. At the same time, you would have less stress on the SC as well as saving $950 bucks and a cool SCT tuner that you can use in the future.
Muzzy

SaleenJ911
07-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Just so you guys know...............I saved a boatload of money by switching to Geico

blackbob
07-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Just so you guys know...............I saved a boatload of money by switching to Geico
Roflmao...WTF does that have to do with anything ?????? roflmao.....

jaiasmit
07-10-2009, 08:37 AM

Money saved with Geico means more money for mods!!!! :tongue:

eviligloo
07-10-2009, 10:03 AM
To spend less money I think all I would do (if I was just starting out) is change to a JLT cold air, gaterback belt, and a 93 octane tune by JDM. That simple change would give you around 35+RWHP and cost about $600.00.

Even with those mods you should swap out your fuel pump as well. So add $100 plus install to that list and you'd have a safe cheaper option to go with.

SaleenJ911
07-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Just trying to be a smart ***...... :smile:
but like blackbob said....add another $1000......I used to be a Marine Mechanics.....and we had a saying for what BOAT stands for.....
Break...Out...Another...Thousand........guess it works here too...