PDA

View Full Version : 1998 S351 Maintenance & Parts Question???

Saleen_S351
04-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Hello, I have a 1998 Saleen S351 with the 5.8L engine and I am looking for replacement spark plug wires, spark plugs, the Saleen S351 floor mats and the original owners' manual that would have come with this car. Anyone have any ideas where to look? :smile:

Jose

Dave
04-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Hello, I have a 1998 Saleen S351 with the 5.8L engine and I am looking for replacement spark plug wires, spark plugs, the Saleen S351 floor mats and the original owners' manual that would have come with this car. Anyone have any ideas where to look?

Hi Jose! If memory serves me correctly, the S351 featured red Taylor 8mm Spiro-Pro wires. Saleen had their logos (Racecraft) on the sleeves, but Taylor produced them. If you're looking for an original set of "Racecraft" logoed wires, they will have to come from someones NOS parts stash. Stardard Taylor wires in the correct red are still available.

The mid/late 1995-98 S351 logo mats do make an appearance on eBay from time-to-time. You might want to contact user Jess Albright to see if any of these mats are still in-stock. Same goes for any kind of owner's supplement manual, ask Jess Albright.

Saleen_S351
04-20-2010, 06:19 AM
I've checked with Taylor so I guess the GT 4.6L 8mm Spark Plug Wires will work if that's what you're saying. I've seen them but a little unsure if they would work.

How about the spark plugs? I still have the NGK R BCPR6E that came with the car and would love to upgrade to the ZEX 82071 for Blower, Nitrous and Supercharger Applications but again, a little unsure if that's a good choice. Ford had no guidance and I can't find info anywhere online.

I appreciate your help with the rest of the information you provided truly a huge relief off my shoulders.

JMB:smile:

Saleen_S351
04-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Dave, just found out through your advice and contactin Taylor that the replacement wires are the Thundervolt 8.2mm Part #: 82602 (Recommended) and the Taylor Blue wires (my choice) Part #: 72602. Thanks again - very much!

Jose

S351r
04-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Jose,
The best plugs are Autolite Racing plugs. I'm trying to remember what the part number is. I know the last 2 numbers are 24. Set the gap at .030. Otherwise you'll blow the spark out. I set mine at .025. The taylor wires work great. Not sure on the blue ones. I always run the red wires since they are OEM. The floormats are almost impossible to find. I've only had luck on ebay.

Saleen_S351
04-21-2010, 05:06 PM
This is great info. By any chance do you have any info on the car's fluid types? I want to change the engine oil but don't know if 5w30 is a good choice for a windsor engine or 10w30 and the number of quarts? I'm thinking maybe 6 quartz will be fine. Also, looking for the DOT brake fluid, transmission fluid (maybe I can follow the Dodge Viper requirements on the tranny) and the viscosity for the differential. I want to change all but don't have the books or any info on what I can use to do all this. Any information you got will be helpful and even pointing me in the right direction. Once I figure it all out I plan to use Royal Purple on everything as the lifeline of the car. Again, many thanks in advance! Jose

Saleen_S351
04-21-2010, 06:53 PM
1998 Saleen 5.8L Maintenance Info:
Engine Oil: 10w30 Synthetic or base
Transmission Fluid: MERCON III
Differential Oil: 75w 90 or 75w 140
Brake Fluid: DOT 3

I even have the firing order for the distributor cap incase anyone needs this info. I spoke to one of the original builders of the Saleen Mustangs who personally shared his wisdom. I was also able to find an original set of Saleen 8mm wires.

Thanks all for your help!

JMB

2DXTRM
05-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Jose,
The best plugs are Autolite Racing plugs. I'm trying to remember what the part number is. I know the last 2 numbers are 24. Set the gap at .030. Otherwise you'll blow the spark out. I set mine at .025. The taylor wires work great. Not sure on the blue ones. I always run the red wires since they are OEM. The floormats are almost impossible to find. I've only had luck on ebay.

Autolite 3924 is probably the part number you were trying to remember?

Saleen_S351
05-10-2010, 08:42 PM
The Autolite Racing Plugs 24 are the best for Supercharged Mustangs as it turns out. Thanks for guiding in me in the right direction. I guess I'll have to replace the ZEX plugs I just bought and put on them on my other steed.