The Saleen Forums at soec.org

The Saleen Forums at soec.org (https://saleenforums.soec.org/index.php)
-   2007-2008 S331 Sportruck (https://saleenforums.soec.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Changing rear differential gear ratio? (https://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=6957)

Great White North 02-04-2010 10:44 AM

Changing rear differential gear ratio?
 
I own a 2007 S331 truck and want to change the gear ratio from the stock 3:73 to 4:56.I do not race this truck but want more bottom end power.I have just recently added an electric fan kit, and the JDM super tune.:biggrin:
I am concerned with high RPM'S with every day driving in the city and or highway.

Has anyone done this modification, if so i would appreciate positive and or any negative feedback.

Regards,

Great White North:cool:

wpgfordguy 02-05-2010 02:09 PM

i would suggest that 4.30 is a far as you want to go.

2007SaleenS331 02-06-2010 01:25 AM

I have 4.56 gears in my 2007 S331 and I consider it the best modification that I have done to this truck. At 75 mph it tachs about 2600 rpm. With this gear change, there isn't that gear hunting back from overdrive to third gear like it does with the 3.73 ratio. It makes the truck feel lighter then it is and has good bottom end performance with these 23 inch wheels and tires.

SoKleen 02-12-2010 05:08 PM

my truck has 60k miles on it and I just got some 4.56 gears to put in. do I need to put in any kind of rebuild or master rebuild kit when I do it? and what kind of rear end gear oil you guys suggest?

2007SaleenS331 02-12-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoKleen (Post 32650)
my truck has 60k miles on it and I just got some 4.56 gears to put in. do I need to put in any kind of rebuild or master rebuild kit when I do it? and what kind of rear end gear oil you guys suggest?

I would install the gears with a new bearing kit and new axle seals. You should get a shim kit for setting up the ring and pinion. The master rebuild kits will come with a shim kit. I would use the Ford synthetic gear lube with 2 little containers of friction modifier for the limited slip differential. Another good gear lube choice would be Mobile 1 or Amsoil synthetic. I had 4000 miles on my S331 when I installed the 4.56 gears and we rebearing it.

SoKleen 02-24-2010 04:31 PM

how much is a rebuild kit and what kind and where do I get one?

2007SaleenS331 02-24-2010 11:46 PM

I would recommend a Yukon 4.56 ring and pinion set which was $285 my cost and a Yukon bearing/shim kit which was $197 my cost with $28 shipping from our supplier. The bearing kit comes with the good Timken bearings, too. And I would recommend installing Ford axle seals which were $16 and 2 little bottles of friction modifier for the gear lube was $9. I work at a transmission rebuild center and we, also, rebuild differentials and transfer cases.

SoKleen 03-01-2010 04:36 PM

So, how much for the rebuild kit, axle seals, and the ford friction modifier shipped to 75503? can you take paypal?

2007SaleenS331 03-01-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoKleen (Post 33803)
So, how much for the rebuild kit, axle seals, and the ford friction modifier shipped to 75503? can you take paypal?

Sent ya a PM.

Saleen190 02-20-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2007SaleenS331 (Post 33559)
I would recommend a Yukon 4.56 ring and pinion set which was $285 my cost and a Yukon bearing/shim kit which was $197 my cost with $28 shipping from our supplier. The bearing kit comes with the good Timken bearings, too. And I would recommend installing Ford axle seals which were $16 and 2 little bottles of friction modifier for the gear lube was $9. I work at a transmission rebuild center and we, also, rebuild differentials and transfer cases.

I'm In the market for gears and was wonderng if you still are able to get these parts at these prices and also if you carry Motive gears or just the Yukon? I've heard positive and negAtive on both. What are your thoughts on them? Tha ks

2007SaleenS331 02-20-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saleen190 (Post 50458)
I'm In the market for gears and was wonderng if you still are able to get these parts at these prices and also if you carry Motive gears or just the Yukon? I've heard positive and negAtive on both. What are your thoughts on them? Tha ks

Sent ya PM

2007SaleenS331 02-21-2011 12:28 AM

Hey Saleen190...you need to make room in your mailbox so I can seen ya a PM. It is full according to my message box.

Saleen190 02-21-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2007SaleenS331 (Post 50497)
Hey Saleen190...you need to make room in your mailbox so I can seen ya a PM. It is full according to my message box.

Just took care of it. Sorry bout that.

haulin S331 08-12-2012 06:23 PM

What is the best maker/brand ?

MarilynsUnicorn 03-29-2020 02:36 AM

Did you install the gears? How she run?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.